L4W Discussion Thread IV

Wynter

First Post
Edit: On second thought, it's likely not a typo. It doesn't have the "Spirit" keyword either, and granting a saving throw as an at-will effect is *really nice*. More likely it's a balancing thing, to make the shaman put themselves a bit more at risk when using it.

I guess but...similarly couldn't you just make a DC 15 Heal check (which would require a vastly better chance Roll-wise and also allows an adjacent ally to immediately make a saving throw)? It's a vs. Fort roll, so at Level one with a +4 Impliment attack and a Fort defense of...I dunno...14, that's a roll of 10, meanwhile my Heal skill is +9 for a roll of 6. Also you could stay at the allies back between you and the critter, rather than having to get into the thick of things and trying to zap something in melee.

I guess if that's how it is, that's how it is. I guess the possibility to do a little damage and give out a saving throw is good. It just seems really weird when the rest of the Shaman abilities are all based around Spirit Melee 1 or Ranged. Although I can't really confirm that because I don't have access to my books at the moment.

RedBeardJim

First Post
I guess but...similarly couldn't you just make a DC 15 Heal check (which would require a vastly better chance Roll-wise and also allows an adjacent ally to immediately make a saving throw)? It's a vs. Fort roll, so at Level one with a +4 Impliment attack and a Fort defense of...I dunno...14, that's a roll of 10, meanwhile my Heal skill is +9 for a roll of 6. Also you could stay at the allies back between you and the critter, rather than having to get into the thick of things and trying to zap something in melee.

The saving throw granted by the power is an Effect, so it happens no matter what you roll.

ryryguy

First Post
The initial attack does affect anyone in the burst, the follow-ons do not.

I think though if you have Orb of Imposition and use it with this power, then the initial attack does not hit enemies allies (and yourself). That's how I read this rider:

Orb of Imposition: You can extend the duration of this effect, even though it is not an at-will power. If you do so, the area expands to burst 3 and doesn’t affect you or your allies.

Since without the rider, the follow-on already affects enemies only, it seems like the "doesn't affect you or your allies" bit must apply to the initial attack.

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
It doesn't apply to the initial attack, because the power cannot be sustained until the turn it would expire. The power cannot be sustained on the initial turn, as it wouldn't expire then.

Tenchuu

First Post
So, does the area expand to burst 3 immediately, or does the added range only take effect after the end of the player's next turn (when the power would be extended)? That kind of makes sense, since it is a fire power (i.e., the fire growing over time) but would make the power be less useful and be more difficult to properly track.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases