Proposal: Finnian's Overhaul

weldon

Explorer
If you are in the TURTLEDOME adventure, please skip this thread. I think it would be fun to reveal the overhaul in the game.

[sblock=Overhaul]Apparently I'm getting close to 2nd level so I need to get serious about an overhaul to fix the things I didn't know when I created my first 4e character. I'm making a proposal because I would like to change Finnian's race as part of the overhaul.

Proposed: Change Finnian to a longtooth shifter

Comments: KenHood has already said he will accept the change mid-adventure, if the judges allow it.

Rationale: PHB2 was available after I made Finnian. Great flavor synergy with the beastmaster build. Stat bonuses make sense for a melee ranger. Back story still works as an outcast kid that didn't fit in with humans.

Story: Finnian has the strange ears that made the humans think he was half-elf. Actually, his mother was a shifter living with the elves. Coming up on adulthood, the Origami Rat Event has triggered his latent shifter heritage. The stress of his next combat (the TURTLEDOME fight?) will trigger his shifting power. This latent shifter heritage explains why Finnian did not fit in with humans, awkward social skills, love of the forest, and the bond he has formed with Erlai (his hawk companion).

Other details:

Ability scores change to 18 str, 16 con, 12 dex, 10 int, 16 wis, 8 cha

Feat: Lethal Hunter (same)

Powers: Twin Strike, Circling Strike, Off-Hand Strike, Jaws of the Wolf

Summary: I didn't understand 4e when I made Finnian. The shifter race became available after I started and provides a lot of cool flavor for a beastmaster, and the character becomes better at melee at the same time. I only chose half-elf for the backstory (outcast raised among humans) and there was no mechanics reason for the choice. The Origami Rat Event and approaching adulthood provides a reasonable explanation for why Finnian's half-shifter heritage has recently become dominant.

Thanks for considering the proposal. I hope that you'll consider approving it. I think it will be a lot of fun to write the in-game story for the "shift" and see it unfold in the TURTLEDOME.

[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I haven't checked that the ability scores add up right or that this is the right number of powers or anything, so YES providing all the mechanics are legal.

weldon

Explorer
Thanks, JNC. The choices are legal, but I will submit the character for review to check all the mechanics and math. I was trying to leave the focus here on the bits that require a formal proposal.

covaithe

Explorer
Which are the changes in that list that the one-time overhaul doesn't already allow? Change of race is the only one I noticed in a quick read, and I'm fine with it if that's so, given the KH is cool with it.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Yeah, the only things you can't change with the overhaul are race, class, and the nebulous idea of character concept. I think the charter is out of date, though. Didn't we remove the "by level 2" restriction? Anyway, Yes.

weldon

Explorer
Which are the changes in that list that the one-time overhaul doesn't already allow? Change of race is the only one I noticed in a quick read, and I'm fine with it if that's so, given the KH is cool with it.
Yes, the only piece being voted on in this proposal is contained in the first line that says...

Proposed: Change Finnian to a longtooth shifter​

Everything else is rationale and context.

I have yes votes from JNC, Covaithe, and THB. If I understand this right, the clock has started on the 48 hour "cooling off" period before formal acceptance.

I will go ahead and start modifying my character sheet in the wiki to prepare for the regular overhaul review and approval. Once the 48 hours is over *and* XP has been awarded in the current adventure, I will send the email requesting character review.

Thanks for the support!

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I'll throw in another YES, since I'm posting anyway and am okay with this.

The real reason for this post, though, is to ask that you submit for approval for your overhaul and level 2 at the same time. IE - that you only ask for one set of approvals, instead of two ;) I think that's what you're doing anyway, but I'd like to make sure to save any extra work for our character checkers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases