Something Nice for the TMP

Imreis

First Post
The TMP is a fun setting but the I see one problem. It's a night club for all intensive purposes. I think it would be pretty neat to tack on a new area for that setting. A coffee house - one of those 24 hour ones where people can get food and coffee. A room like that would allow RPing any time of day or night. Not to mention if fixes problems for characters under 21who cannot drink alcohol. Perhaps it could be the neighboring building to the TMP. In case that did not come out clear. Building A is the TMP with the Alleyway being stuck between the coffee house.

It don't have to be a coffee house but it did seem like a pretty nifty idea. Some where to go sober up after drinking or a place to go during the morning hours. I think it would broaden the setting while keeping to the area. New York is pretty known for its specialty coffee houses so it would be logical to think one could open up next to a night club which would draw in plenty of revenue from drinkers to designated drivers.

Even more so, it would draw in the younger people who want to be 'jive', it could call in more players as well who want to play more wormy characters who might not go into a night club. I mean look at it this way. there may be players who wish to make a modern setting character though cannot come up with one who would want to go into a night club. There left with an alleyway which is not the most desirable place to go hang out with your friends.

Personally, I am open to any ideas but I sorta hope the coffee house idea catches on. Anyone else for this idea?

Last edited:

Ruthia

First Post
I like the idea of a little coffee house type thing, maybe an internet cafe? Something less noisy compared to the nightclub where people can go to get away from the hustle and bustle that is NYC. Would be the ideal place to sober up or meet up before or after being in the nightclub too.

Course no ones gonna take a word I say seriously since I'm me but hey at least I have an oppinion to speak of!

Magi_Siani

First Post
Out of curiosity; have any of you ever watched 'Casablanca'? Specifically concerning Rick's Cafe?

Not that I have any idea of TMP...not my turf, so to speak. Just askin'.

Siani

Last edited:

Magi_Trelian

First Post
I like the idea of a little coffee house type thing, maybe an internet cafe? Something less noisy compared to the nightclub where people can go to get away from the hustle and bustle that is NYC. Would be the ideal place to sober up or meet up before or after being in the nightclub too.

Course no ones gonna take a word I say seriously since I'm me but hey at least I have an oppinion to speak of!

Of course we take it seriously! But to put Siani's point more directly (and after talking with Gabe), the problem seems to be in what people think TMP's "nightclub" is like. I've been to those open-at-night-only places where everyone dresses to kill and you're lucky to find a seat anywhere, where it's all dancing and drinking and loud music. This isn't one of those. This is the place that's mostly a hang-out spot, a cafe as much as a bar, and with an area where music and dancing can happen but don't always. It's open during the day. Think, Irish pub maybe, if fhat makes more sense, except it's not Irish and it's not a pub. It's fine to go in and just drink coffee and surf the net on your laptop, maybe play online games at some chat site, heh. (TMP does have free wireless, doesn't it? Or all of NYC does? It better! Or we'll get no customers at all by that year!) But because there is that bar, it's 18+. That's not going to change and any other room is likely to be the same because when we're talking "modern" setting, we're also talking real world legal issues that, believe me, you don't want us to try to enforce and we don't want to either.

Edit: Hmm. Okay I was going off what I'd understood of the intent and the way I've often seen it played when I'm in there, but I got to admit I've gotten blase about checking the room description so I went and reread it.

""A sophisticated nighclub in 2033 with a polished tile floors and colored lights flashing from the ceiling. Along the front wall is the "zoo" of exotic reptiles and fish while a well stocked bar runs along the back. Tables, a dance floor and a modest stage fill the rest of the room with a set of stairs leading up to a security locked door at one end of the bar."

Maybe that should get tweaked a little.

Last edited:

Imreis

First Post
See now you can see where my post was coming from. Flashing, colored lights - I'm imagining colored strobe lights here. A plethora of lizards, snakes and fish that take up one whole wall. The words 'sophisticated nightclub' sorta give it away too. Which is great in all but its why I suggested a new little room. It would be the same setting and everything but give a refreshing feel to the whole TMP's modern setting. As it sits only a handful of players even attend it. Occasionally you can catch at the most, five to eight characters in there. I really do feel that it could draw some extra attention to the setting if it had room for different styles of characters.

Just a suggestion is all.

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
It's fine to go in and just drink coffee and surf the net on your laptop, maybe play online games at some chat site, heh. (TMP does have free wireless, doesn't it? Or all of NYC does?

Not only does it have free wireless, it has free terminals as per the setting page which goes into much greater detail that the quick blurb that appears when you log in.

See now you can see where my post was coming from. Flashing, colored lights - I'm imagining colored strobe lights here. A plethora of lizards, snakes and fish that take up one whole wall.

There's never been any mention of strobe lights in the TMP... they'd upset the animals which are all rather light sensitive. The only lighting referred to in setting information is the soft blue lighting and that the animal enclosure is dark at day and light up during the night (to encourage the creatures to be most active at night).

So I'm not really sure how we can take away what isn't there.

The words 'sophisticated nightclub' sorta give it away too. Which is great in all but its why I suggested a new little room. It would be the same setting and everything but give a refreshing feel to the whole TMP's modern setting. As it sits only a handful of players even attend it. Occasionally you can catch at the most, five to eight characters in there. I really do feel that it could draw some extra attention to the setting if it had room for different styles of characters.

Just a suggestion is all.

I'm honestly not seeing anything that would be different other than removing the bar and the dance floor and changing the title word to "coffee shop". Perhaps "sophisticated nightclub" means something else in some parts of the US, but here it generally reflects an extremely safe environment and many of the ones I frequent attract bookworms.

The minimum age of solo entry into TMP is sixteen, you only need to be twenty-one if you want to indulge in an alcoholic drink. Book worm characters are quite welcome in there as it has it's own coffee machine and free terminals to use along with snack vending machines.

We can tweak the description a bit or you can talk about adjustments with Brigid, but honestly, the room only getting five to eight people at a time is a good not to create another room.

Ruthia

First Post
I don't think Imreis was saying anything had to be changed guys and gals. I think his player was just making a suggestion. And aren't suggestions for new settings OR setting changes open for anyone to make?

The strobe light thing, Yeah I can see how some people would see that acctually. Flashing colored lights could honestly be anything in anyones eyes. The flashing colored lights thng is quoted at the bottom of Trelian's post acctually.

Imreis

First Post
"...colored lights flashing from the ceiling..."

Ok then maybe it's just me but flashing lights sorta indicates strobing.

Besides if the idea is not what the Magi wish for the setting then that's fine man. But ripping apart people's posts and quoting pretty much every sentence to do so I feel is uncalled for. We as players are constantly encouraged to feed our ideas to the Magi and honestly, this is the last time because its not very encouraging at all to have your brainstorms ripped apart like confetti. A simple "we are not concitering adding new rooms at this time" would have sufficed instead of telling me all the reasons why my idea was wrong.

Remove ads