Reviewing, Revising, and Finalizing Prehistoric Animals and Dinosaur Ecology

Cleon

Legend
After some further rummaging through your index of links, I suspect there are a few creatures that more properly belong in Phantasy Prehistorium rather than here, at least according to the criteria you proposed.

For example, we statted up the Giant Titanoboa as an oversized version of that ancient reptile, not an accurate conversion, hence the "Giant". The SRD's giant constrictor snake is probably pretty close to a realistic Titanoboa.

On a different track, there's no evidence for Microceratus being a colonial animal like the version on the Wizards' boards. While I like the idea of dinosaurs which live like ants, I think it should be relegated to the Phantasy thread.

Incidentally, I can think of a couple of other interesting eusocial herbivorous dinosaur from fiction that I'm tempted to convert sometime.

In Douglas Dixon's The New Dinosaurs there's a Pachycephalosaur which live in hanging "citadels" of brush resembling a giant version of a weaver bird's nest. One female is the breeding queen, the rest are workers, young males are warriors who defend the others using poisoned spines on their head, when the males grow old enough they lose the spines and become breeding drones for a short period, then die.

Greg Bear's Dinosaur Summer has "Communisaurs" or "Fork-Tails" which live in fortresses built of earth and logs. They can produce an extremely strong scent (at least the largest ones in the book did, which may suggest some kind of Queen-pheromones), and have a powerful tail armed with a pair of spikes. According to Wikipedia these are some kind of Therapsid (a mammal-like reptile), but it doesn't give any sources to confirm this was Mr Bear's intent. When I read the book I assumed they were some kind of Thyreophora (The suborder of "Armoured dinosaur" which includes such beasts as Stegosaurus and Ankylosaurus) because of their weaponised tail. They just don't feel like Therapsids to me, since most Therapsids use their jaws as their primary weapon, few of them have "saur" in their name, and I don't recall any mention of hair or whiskers in the book (not that we know for a fact that all Therapsids had such).

xidoraven

Explorer
You know, those thoughts and critical reviews are just what is needed for this project, exactly as you stated: what is real, and what is imagined? My big soap box issue is Dilophosaurus and what Jurassic Park did to that critter in our minds.... :(

But anyways, yeah those are all cool ideas too - I am all for creative takes on prehistoric campaigns. I might not use everything we make here in a campaign setting I have planned, but it is fun to think about nonetheless. My big thing is making sure the web has a decent, balanced, well-reviewed list of stats for dinosaurs and prehistoric animals (primitives or prims, and in dinos/prims - as separate from dire animals, of which there were some very real species in our past) that would also work well in my campaign ecology, which is based on an animal-intensive setting (Beastlands on a material world).

Plus, if there is a stat for it in the SRD or a publication that we could transcribe the specific creature stats and description here, that should be set as a precedent. I understand the argument for the Megaraptor mix-up, and I don't think we should re-evaluate every creature that comes up pooping green instead of white, but for major renovations like this one, it should be made (because our artworks for them are going to be as scientifically accurate as possible within reason).

Please check out this document, which is a review of that index list and some notes I made about them and how I divided them up. Creatures that are not the greatest combatants, have negative attack modifiers, and/or which are not known to be in any way aggressive I designated as being not Combat Ready (marked 'No' in Yes/No under 'Combat Ready'). You'll also notice I divided the creatures up as well as I could given the generalization ideas I had for simple sentient society to divide them according to their lifestyles and ecological niche, such as Longwalkers (sauropods), Walkers/Bogwalkers (hadrosaurs and plains/swamp-herbivores), Herd Animal (anything heavy and either herbivorous or moderately omnivorous, usually things that congregate in migratory herds, etc.), Hunters/Runners (sleek, quick, agile, or just streamlined and mobile dinosaurs), Aquatics, Avians, etc. I will refine this categorization with time, and it is is really only necessary when everything is finished and compiled.

I didn't make as many notes as I ended up realizing I should have made, but I made what was necessary before I really started working on it. But it's a start.

Cleon

Legend
You know, those thoughts and critical reviews are just what is needed for this project, exactly as you stated: what is real, and what is imagined? My big soap box issue is Dilophosaurus and what Jurassic Park did to that critter in our minds.... :(

No argument there! There are a a fair few other dinosaurs in Crichton's books that have imaginary additions, some more plausible than others. The chameleon Carnotaurus is the one I found the most egregious.

Cases like the JP Dilophosaurus could be dealt with as two different creatures - a realistic version (Large 6 HD or so lightweight theropod), and the movie/book version (Medium 4 HD predator with venom-spit and scary frill?) for posting in the Phantasy thread. The one in the Jurassic Park film was only half-grown, but I'm sure a lot of people think that's it's standard size so I'd probably stat it up as a Medium animal, despite a real-world adult Dilophosaurus being 20+ feet long.

Would we call them different names, or add a fake specific name? E.g.

Real: Dilophosaurus wetherilli
Fictional: Dilophosaurus nedryphagous "Nedry eating two-crested lizard"

Please check out this document, which is a review of that index list and some notes I made about them and how I divided them up. Creatures that are not the greatest combatants, have negative attack modifiers, and/or which are not known to be in any way aggressive I designated as being not Combat Ready (marked 'No' in Yes/No under 'Combat Ready'). You'll also notice I divided the creatures up as well as I could given the generalization ideas I had for simple sentient society to divide them according to their lifestyles and ecological niche, such as Longwalkers (sauropods), Walkers/Bogwalkers (hadrosaurs and plains/swamp-herbivores), Herd Animal (anything heavy and either herbivorous or moderately omnivorous, usually things that congregate in migratory herds, etc.), Hunters/Runners (sleek, quick, agile, or just streamlined and mobile dinosaurs), Aquatics, Avians, etc. I will refine this categorization with time, and it is is really only necessary when everything is finished and compiled.

If you're aiming for a scientifically up to date version, I wouldn't call all those Hadrosaurs "Bogwalkers". While I believe some remains have been found in swamps, they were far more a plains & forest animal.

That pdf is very handy for comparing the different conversions though, and it's already shown me another dodgy entry.

"Anoplotops Ferox" is an entirely fictional dinosaur from Goodman Games' Dinosaur Planet d20 RPG. Appropriately enough, it's listen in the contents of a Monster Manual entitled Dinosaurs That Never Were. Not only that, but I don't like the stats. Str 20 is feeble for a Huge animal, its challenge rating is way too high (It looks more like a CR8 than a CR16) and its specific name shouldn't be capitalised (i.e. it should be Anoplotops ferox with a small-f.) Well, at least it only has one Toughness feat.:p

Oh yes, you can see a picture of Anoplotops here on Goodman's website if you scroll down a bit.

From my first look through, that's the only creature I found that never existed.

Some of the others have a few stats I don't like or are a bit too "imaginary" for my tastes, at least for inclusion in this thread. The eusocial Microceratops is an example of the latter, it really belongs in Phantasy. The Giraffatitan is a case of the former - L think most of its stats are fine but its CR18 is way too high. It's more like a CR12.

xidoraven

Explorer
No argument there! There are a a fair few other dinosaurs in Crichton's books that have imaginary additions, some more plausible than others. The chameleon Carnotaurus is the one I found the most egregious.

Cases like the JP Dilophosaurus could be dealt with as two different creatures - a realistic version (Large 6 HD or so lightweight theropod), and the movie/book version (Medium 4 HD predator with venom-spit and scary frill?) for posting in the Phantasy thread. The one in the Jurassic Park film was only half-grown, but I'm sure a lot of people think that's it's standard size so I'd probably stat it up as a Medium animal, despite a real-world adult Dilophosaurus being 20+ feet long.
Exactly. As for the chameleon dino, he could get away with that in the story for two reasons: the "you don't really know" factor, and the fact that they were mixing DNA to fill restructuring gaps, and who knows exactly how far that diverted from normality. Genetically altered would definitely go under fantasy, and maybe call for a template of some form for say, a JP/Scifi hybrid themed setting.

Would we call them different names, or add a fake specific name? E.g.

Real: Dilophosaurus wetherilli
Fictional: Dilophosaurus nedryphagous "Nedry eating two-crested lizard"
Definitely not anything that sounds even remotely real - I would never have known about this supposed anaplatops whatever if I hadn't gone around and done some research - and we want to avoid that here for real-world revisions (same concept as the previous thread for edition conversions).

If you're aiming for a scientifically up to date version, I wouldn't call all those Hadrosaurs "Bogwalkers". While I believe some remains have been found in swamps, they were far more a plains & forest animal.
You're right, and I am not even going to argue with your logic - but I figured for the campaign setting I am proposing, take an entirely functional full-scale dino/prim ecology as it is and then add sentient humanoids (the only major human populations being those savage or barbarian tribes). Suddenly big herbivores are only going to be seen in dense forests and marshes where they can stay somewhat protected and still feed. Also, since the sentient races nearby are so simple, I went for simple terms that might be used to categorize them (by price, or by usefulness when trained). Ie, Walker (big herbiv herd/migration dino), Longwalker (sauropod), Carnosaur (big meat eaters), Hunters & Runners (smaller theropods including herbivores, scavengers, and carnivores), Wild Beast (prehistoric animals which are either very aggressive, untamed, or carnivorous), Herd Animal (big hairy critters that can sometimes be domesticated, hunted, and/or herded), Aquatic (dinos and prims), Avian (Birds, Flightless Birds, Avian Reptiles, Avian Pterosaurs), etc.

"Anoplotops Ferox" is an entirely fictional dinosaur from Goodman Games' Dinosaur Planet d20 RPG. Appropriately enough, it's listen in the contents of a Monster Manual entitled Dinosaurs That Never Were. Not only that, but I don't like the stats. Str 20 is feeble for a Huge animal, its challenge rating is way too high (It looks more like a CR8 than a CR16) and its specific name shouldn't be capitalised (i.e. it should be Anoplotops ferox with a small-f.) Well, at least it only has one Toughness feat.:p

Some of the others have a few stats I don't like or are a bit too "imaginary" for my tastes, at least for inclusion in this thread. The eusocial Microceratops is an example of the latter, it really belongs in Phantasy. The Giraffatitan is a case of the former - L think most of its stats are fine but its CR18 is way too high. It's more like a CR12.
Anoplotops Ferox made me angry when I realized that I was chasing a feaux dino to figure out what it was in my categories - no wonder I had never heard of it! I mean, I know I am a little behind on some things in this realm, but I had never heard of this critter.... Oooh, I was mad. :p

The pdf has a bunch of category designations, but the list changed as I went along and I would have to refine it a bit. If you have doubts about what category of dino/prim it might be, just leave that blank and I can call it out. For dire creatures or adjusted, advanced, or templated creatures, let's post them on the fiction thread and simply add them to the page here with their base or standard creature as a text link. I know it would be convenient on a web search, but I think it would end up being more organized for later by doing it this way. I really did consider it, but it will be a little more of a hassle when I am reviewing before I compile the stats. However, I am right there with you about making a few extra fictional creatures, including celestial, anarchic, and axiomatic versions of base dino/prims - I just think scrolling through them on this forum would throw me off at the points in the process later on when I go and try to review them as they're posted in both places (my document and the web threads).

One more pair of resources, and I think I will have gathered everything up to date - the quickie archive I created of transcribing over published dinos/prims from previous 3/3.5e publications that may be of use here... >Here< And, a few transcribed 'dinosaurs' >Here< (actually, all dinos/prims known as are currently being listed on the first thread, but I have not yet included the other publications that I have: Sandstorm, Fiend Folio, MMII)

Ok, glad you can see the pdf table - I had some issues with people being able to see them earlier. Also, since we are both big on fictional elements as well, check out my concept for Nymian Sigilry and let me know what you think about that little work in progress.

That will also be something that will fit in with the campaign setting I have together, which dinopriminals use (the ones we are creating in the PhanPre - prehistoric guardinal equivalents), as well as the Faunar (supposedly a simple clan society, an ancient secret society of shapeshifters, catfolk, and similar sentient humanoids involved in protecting nature, the cosmos, and the greater good that allows life to flourish, prosper, hunt, and be hunted. They have interplanar access and utilize magic, armaments, and technology from the various places they travel, do business, and do tactical and information-gathering missions between their stints in their homelands. I love this campaign setting - it is wicked fun. My friend, who is the only person currently gaming in that world right now, is loving the ability to hunt big creatures whenever he wants. He is slowly being brought into the secret culture of the Faunar, and uses minimal sigilry thus far.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
You're right, and I am not even going to argue with your logic - but I figured for the campaign setting I am proposing, take an entirely functional full-scale dino/prim ecology as it is and then add sentient humanoids (the only major human populations being those savage or barbarian tribes). Suddenly big herbivores are only going to be seen in dense forests and marshes where they can stay somewhat protected and still feed. Also, since the sentient races nearby are so simple, I went for simple terms that might be used to categorize them (by price, or by usefulness when trained). Ie, Walker (big herbiv herd/migration dino), Longwalker (sauropod), Carnosaur (big meat eaters), Hunters & Runners (smaller theropods including herbivores, scavengers, and carnivores), Wild Beast (prehistoric animals which are either very aggressive, untamed, or carnivorous), Herd Animal (big hairy critters that can sometimes be domesticated, hunted, and/or herded), Aquatic (dinos and prims), Avian (Birds, Flightless Birds, Avian Reptiles, Avian Pterosaurs), etc.

Hmm, the "Avian" category is a bit confusing since the word literally means "birds" and you've listed a varies other types of flying creature. Why not change it to "Flyers" or "Aerials" and move the Flightless Birds into Hunters & Runners (were they'd fit in quite well, since they are actually small theropods!).

Cleon

Legend
Anoplotops Ferox made me angry when I realized that I was chasing a feaux dino to figure out what it was in my categories - no wonder I had never heard of it! I mean, I know I am a little behind on some things in this realm, but I had never heard of this critter.... Oooh, I was mad. :p

Found another "faux beastie" that needs cutting from the real-world Prehistoric Animal index.

Tanaconda is from a Jurassic Park toy line, not paleontology. Apparently it's a mutant hybrid of a Tanystropheus and an anaconda. See here for a picture.

EDIT: Speaking of Tanystropheus, I don't think either of the versions in the index are terribly realistic, although this one is closest. The reptile probably only weighed a couple of hundred pounds, so it certainly wasn't Huge in size, despite its 10-foot neck and 20-foot length. (which, incidentally, is extraordinarily large, a far more typical length would be 13 feet). I'd make it Medium sized, with extra Reach with its bite attack. They also aren't much of a danger to anything larger than a herring.

May stat up a more realistic Tanystropheus if I'm feeling idle, together with a "Dire Tanystropheus" to give us something to chew on adventurers.

Last edited:

xidoraven

Explorer
Hmm, the "Avian" category is a bit confusing since the word literally means "birds" and you've listed a varies other types of flying creature. Why not change it to "Flyers" or "Aerials" and move the Flightless Birds into Hunters & Runners (were they'd fit in quite well, since they are actually small theropods!).

Agreed: avian is an off-term, and in fact I think there are two distinct categories: Avian Prims (Birds, Flightless Birds) and Avian/Aerial Dinos (pterosaurs, pseudo-pterosaurs). Also, Hunters/Runners is specifically a dinosaur category. Though some of them have distinctly bird-like features to us, they are still 'mostly' a dinosaur in nature/taxonomy.

Even though the peoples using these simple terms might be simple minded, they would nevertheless have been given the correct information about these creatures, as the ones who educated them of anything to begin with would have known the difference. ;)

Found another "faux beastie" that needs cutting from the real-world Prehistoric Animal index.

Tanaconda is from a Jurassic Park toy line, not paleontology. Apparently it's a mutant hybrid of a Tanystropheus and an anaconda. See here for a picture.

EDIT: Speaking of Tanystropheus, I don't think either of the versions in the index are terribly realistic, although this one is closest. The reptile probably only weighed a couple of hundred pounds, so it certainly wasn't Huge in size, despite its 10-foot neck and 20-foot length. (which, incidentally, is extraordinarily large, a far more typical length would be 13 feet). I'd make it Medium sized, with extra Reach with its bite attack. They also aren't much of a danger to anything larger than a herring.

May stat up a more realistic Tanystropheus if I'm feeling idle, together with a "Dire Tanystropheus" to give us something to chew on adventurers.

That's terrible. I am so ashamed. I think Dilophosaurus was enough of a divergence. I think I remember the critter, it's the the one with a short stocky body and a really long neck? It is a piscivore?

Cleon

Legend
That's terrible. I am so ashamed. I think Dilophosaurus was enough of a divergence. I think I remember the critter, it's the the one with a short stocky body and a really long neck? It is a piscivore?

That's the one. They're pretty weird reptiles, kind of like a cross between a fishing rod and a crocodile.

Not sure what they're doing in Jurassic Park. They're from the middle of the Triassic.

Anyhows, I'm more or less finished with my take on Tanystropheus. I'll probably post it sometime tonight.

EDIT: And here it is...:D

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Tanystropheus
Middle Triassic (250-230 MYA)
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 3d8 (13 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares), swim 30 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+2 Dex, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft. (10 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks: Improved grab, swallow whole [Diminutive-sized as combat attack, 1d4+2 plus 2 acid, 5 hp, AC11]
Special Qualities: Hold breath, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills: Hide +7* (+11 in water or half-concealed, +15 half-concealed in water), Listen +3, Spot +3, Swim +10
Feats: Skill Focus (Hide), Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Warm aquatic and swamps
Organization: Solitary or cluster (2-8)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4 HD (Medium); 5-6 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment:

This reptile has an extraordinarily long neck, longer than the rest of the body put together. It has a slim lizard-like torso with fat, muscular hindquarters and a tail of average length. Parts of the body are covered in rectangular scales. The head is tiny, with a narrow snout full of spike-like teeth that interlock when its jaws are closed. The neck is pretty stiff, about as flexible as fishing rod.

Tanystropheus are carnivores, mainly eating little fish and squid. They usually hunt by concealing their body – typically in swamp vegetation, above an overhanging rock along the shore, or buried in mud or a rock-hollow under the water – and wait until a meal swims by, then move out to snatch their prey up in their jaws. Their extravagantly long necks allow them to close with a witless fish without the latter realizing they've come within a larger creature's reach.

In areas with abundant marine life Tanystropheus can be quite common. They are not social animals, but are gregarious enough to cluster at a particularly good fishing spot without too much squabbling.

A typical Tanystropheus has a total length from nose to tail of around 13 feet, 7 feet of which is neck, but has a head only 8 or 9 inches long. It weighs 180 pounds or so. An extremely big individual may approach 20 feet in length. Smaller individuals are quite common, both actual Tanystropheus and related species of lesser size.

Combat
Tanystropheus only attack prey small enough to swallow. When faced with larger creatures they would rather hide or flee than fight, but will readily bite in self defence.

Hold Breath (Ex): A Tanystropheus can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 × its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Tanystropheus must hit with a bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A Tanystropheus can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to three sizes smaller by making a successful grapple check. A Tanystropheus can swallow a creature two sizes smaller than itself, but it takes it 1d6+4 rounds and two successful grapple checks to do so (one to start, one to finish). Therefore it does not swallow bigger victims while in combat.

The swallowed creature takes 1d4+2 points of bludgeoning damage and 2 points of acid damage per round from the Tanystropheus's gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 5 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 11). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

A Medium-sized Tanystropheus's gizzard can hold 4 Tiny, 16 Diminutive or 64 Fine opponents.

Skills
A Tanystropheus has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

*A Tanystropheus has a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks when it is in water. Further, if a Tanystropheus conceals its body, leaving its slim neck and tiny head visible, it gains a +4 cover bonus on Hide checks, or +6 if it is a Large-sized Tanystropheus.

Large Tanystropheus
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 5d8+5 (27 hp)
Armor Class: 15 (–1 size, +2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d8+6)
Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d8+6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft. (15 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks: Improved grab, swallow whole [Tiny-sized as combat attack, 1d6+4 plus 4 acid, 10 hp, AC12]
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +2
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills: Hide +5* (+9 in water, +11 if half-concealed, +15 if half-concealed in water), Listen +3, Spot +3, Swim +12
Feats: Skill Focus (Hide), Weapon Focus (bite)
Challenge Rating: 2
Advancement: 6 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment:

Like many reptiles, Tanystropheus do not stop growing, so a particularly old and well-nourished specimen can reach an impressive size, as represented by the above stats. Such individuals are very rare, however.

A big Tanystropheus is some 20 feet from nose to tail, with a foot-long head upon a neck that's10 feet long, if not longer. They typically weigh from 500 to 700 pounds.

Small Tanystropheus (Dinocephalus)
Small Animal
Hit Dice: 2d8 (9 hp)
Armor Class: 14 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +1 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/–2
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, swallow whole [Fine-sized as combat attack, 1d3+1 plus 1 acid, 5 hp, AC10]
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills: Hide +7* (+11 in water or half-concealed, +15 half-concealed in water), Listen +3, Spot +3, Swim +9
Feats: Weapon Finesse(B), Weapon Focus (bite)
Challenge Rating: ½
Advancement: 3-4 HD (Medium); 5-6 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment:

This could be a adult Tanystropheus of modest size, or a member of a smaller related species, such as Dinocephalosaurus orientalis.

A typical Small Tanystropheus is 9 feet long with a 6 inch head on a 5 foot neck, and weigh about 60 pounds.

Dire Tanystropheus
Large Animal (Dire)
Hit Dice: 7d8+21 (52 hp)
Initiative: +3
Armor Class: 18 (–1 size, +3 Dex, +6 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+15
Attack: Bite +11 melee (2d6+9)
Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (2d6+9)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft. (20 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks: Constrict 1d10+9, improved grab, swallow whole [Tiny-sized as combat attack, 1d8+6 plus 4 acid, 15 hp, AC13]
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +6
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +8* (+12 in water, +14 if half-concealed, +18 if half-concealed in water), Listen +5, Spot +5, Swim +14
Feats: Alertness, Skill Focus (Hide), Weapon Focus (bite)
Challenge Rating: 4
Advancement: 8-14 HD (Large); 15-29 HD (Huge); 30-45 (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment:

This is not a real-world animal (or even a realistic one). While an ordinary Tanystropheus has a quite rigid neck, a dire Tanystropheus's neck is as flexible as a serpent, and can crush victims in its coils like a python. They can also process prey items too large to swallow, by bracing a carcass in their coils, or wedging it under a rock or sunken tree, then tearing off bite-sized chunks with their jaws. However, a dire Tanystropheus is so stupidly voracious they have been known to attempt to swallow objects to big for them to consume and subsequently choke to death.

A dire Tanystropheus averages about 25 feet long, with a cubit-long head on a neck 13 feet long, and weighs between 1200 to 1500 pounds.

Combat
Dire Tanystropheus are far more aggressive than the mundane variety, and will attack any prey smaller than themselves. When faced with larger creatures they would rather hide or flee, but will ferociously fight in self defence.

A dire Tanystropheus usually lurks in ambush under the water or above a cliff, then lashes out its long neck when prey wanders within reach. Once combat begins they are recklessly vicious, and generally fight to the death without even a thought of retreat.

Constrict (Ex): On a successful grapple check, a dire Tanystropheus deals 1d10+9 points of damage.

Hold Breath (Ex): A dire Tanystropheus can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 × its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a dire Tanystropheus must hit with a bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to constrict or swallow the foe the following round.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A dire Tanystropheus can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to three sizes smaller by making a successful grapple check. A dire Tanystropheus can swallow a creature two sizes smaller than itself, but it takes it 1d6+4 rounds and two successful grapple checks to do so (one to start, one to finish). Therefore it does not swallow bigger victims while in combat.

The swallowed creature takes 1d8+6 points of bludgeoning damage and 4 points of acid damage per round from the dire Tanystropheus's gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 15 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 13). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

A Large-sized dire Tanystropheus's gizzard can hold 4 Small, 16 Tiny, 64 Diminutive or 256 Fine opponents.

Skills
A dire Tanystropheus has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

*A dire Tanystropheus has a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks when it is in water. Further, if a dire Tanystropheus conceals its body, leaving its slim neck and tiny head visible, it gains a +6 cover bonus on Hide checks.

Huge Dire Tanystropheus
Huge Animal (Dire)
Hit Dice: 15d8+75 (142 hp)
Initiative: +7
Armor Class: 20 (–2 size, +3 Dex, +9 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+29
Attack: Bite +20 melee (3d6+15)
Full Attack: Bite +20 melee (3d6+15)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft. (30 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks: Constrict 2d8+15, improved grab, swallow whole [Small-sized as combat attack, 2d6+10 plus 8 acid, 25 hp, AC14]
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +14, Will +10
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 17, Con 20, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +10* (+14 in water, +16 if half-concealed, +20 if half-concealed in water), Listen +6, Spot +6, Swim +18
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Skill Focus (Hide), Weapon Focus (bite)
Challenge Rating: 8
Advancement: 16-29 HD (Huge); 30-45 (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment:

A huge dire Tanystropheus averages about 40 feet long and typically weighs between 4000 and 7000 pounds, with a head at least 2 feet long on a neck 25 feet long.

Combat
A huge dire Tanystropheus ambushes prey like a regular dire Tanystropheus. Its head strikes with blinding speed. They often use their Combat Reflexes feat to bite multiple opponents as they close with them. The Gargantuan-sized variety can snap up a couple of lesser foes in one pass by using the Cleave feat.

Gargantuan Dire Tanystropheus
Gargantuan Animal (Dire)
Hit Dice: 30d8+150 (345 hp)
Initiative: +7
Armor Class: 22 (–4 size, +3 Dex, +13 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +22/+48
Attack: Bite +33 melee (5d6+21)
Full Attack: Bite +33 melee (5d6+21)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./15 ft. (40 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks: Constrict 3d8+21, improved grab, swallow whole [Medium-sized as combat attack, 3d6+14 plus 8 acid, 30 hp, AC16]
Saves: Fort +24, Ref +26, Will +18
Abilities: Str 39, Dex 16, Con 24, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +13* (+17 in water, +19 if half-concealed, +23 if half-concealed in water), Listen +10, Spot +10, Swim +22
Feats: Alertness, Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Hide), Weapon Focus (bite)
Epic Feat: Epic Reflexes, Great Dexterity
Challenge Rating: 13
Advancement: 31-45 (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment:

A Gargantuan dire Tanystropheus is at least 70 feet long and weighs 16 tons or more, with a yard-long head on a neck that can reach over 40 feet. Such a monster can swallow human beings like oysters.

Remove ads