Cosmic parasites: inspiration for names?

Which means beings like Time Lords will only be about the Size of a Sun/Star up to a Solar System.

Ok, that's big enough for most purposes! The Cosmophage I'm thinking about can fit into Solar System size, since it's basically a living binary star system.

Furthermore, size 'rules' are not as math intensive as in 3E, so you don't really need to work out negative AC penalties and strength bonuses anymore.

How mechanically significant is it? Would it be horribly unbalancing to have a Nebula sized Sidereal? Because I have a character concept for a deity (The Maimed Queen) who is a living nebula, and I really can't justify her as a Demiurge or a Time Lord; she's very specifically a *component* of the universe, though a major one, and one that's lost power significantly. So probably an Old One, downgraded from First One.

In 3e stats I've just had to treat her "real" size as being that of her central body, and treat the nebula as a 'special effect', basically an aura; but in 4e I'd like to have her be -literally- a living nebula.

Thinking out this character is the only time I've been happy about the underplaying of alignment in 4e, since she'd have to be something like Chaotic-Lawful-Evil at the moment.

(Also, does an avatar or aspect automatically go down in divine status when the originating deity does? I have one of The Maimed Queen's aspects as - for all intents and purposes - living a separate life, worshipped by people who have little or no knowledge of the true being. And can an aspect gain power by being worshipped, if this lifts it above what an aspect of that deity should have?)

Last edited:

Howdy Khisanth dude! :)

Khisanth the Ancient said:
Ok, that's big enough for most purposes! The Cosmophage I'm thinking about can fit into Solar System size, since it's basically a living binary star system.

I have a being in the Vampire Bestiary called a Chronophage, but its a different 'kettle of fish' than the monster you are proposing.

How mechanically significant is it?

Directly, not very. Indirectly there are half a dozen rules I'm currently tweaking for the new sizes.

In fact at this point there is no actual strength difference or constitution difference for being Mega, Giga etc. sized.

Would it be horribly unbalancing to have a Nebula sized Sidereal?

I don't think so, especially as its an actual Nebula, which is itself gaseous, rather than something solid or liquid.

I see the size categories as more indicators for Solid states. The Less Tangible, the bigger it can be.

Because I have a character concept for a deity (The Maimed Queen) who is a living nebula, and I really can't justify her as a Demiurge or a Time Lord; she's very specifically a *component* of the universe, though a major one, and one that's lost power significantly. So probably an Old One, downgraded from First One.

Kewl! :cool:

In 3e stats I've just had to treat her "real" size as being that of her central body, and treat the nebula as a 'special effect', basically an aura; but in 4e I'd like to have her be -literally- a living nebula.

Well Sidereals have Levels 51-60, which is 42-51 Solo Monster.

Thinking out this character is the only time I've been happy about the underplaying of alignment in 4e, since she'd have to be something like Chaotic-Lawful-Evil at the moment.

I wasn't happy about this myself, but the new alignment is growing on me.

(Also, does an avatar or aspect automatically go down in divine status when the originating deity does? I have one of The Maimed Queen's aspects as - for all intents and purposes - living a separate life, worshipped by people who have little or no knowledge of the true being. And can an aspect gain power by being worshipped, if this lifts it above what an aspect of that deity should have?)

I think this would be up to individual DMs. Certainly I think Avatars and Aspects can break away or somehow be seperated from the core being and go on to become their own unique beings.

Remove ads