The First (IC) (d20/3.x D&D)

Willette

First Post
"Agreed! I've been thinking about the topic recently and a cave, or a hill as you suggested, would do us well. I would also suggest we begin to fell some trees for the construction of some spike pit traps, a fence and maybe some camouflage if we plan to stay in the area." said Elldar. "These past few days I have been having strange visions of what seems to be a former life...days at the forges...buildings...strange devices...intricate sets of plans..."

As he speaks of this, Elldar's eyes grow hazy as if miles away.

"I'll come with you. I could use a jaunt through the forest and miss having the ability to wander the wilds. Maybe if I get tired I can ride your shoulders! Hahaha............juuuuuuuuuust kidding."

Arkhandus

First Post
Tianulien the elf-maiden laughs melodiously at Metliz chasing Elldar with the broom, trying to swat the 'fire' on his head to snuff it out. She sits in a tree branch, having climbed up earlier to watch the sunrise. Now she climbs down to pick out a few apples and berries from Seshani's foraging spoils.

Theris sits on her bedroll and munches on a few berries after setting the rabbits up on spits to cook over a small fire. The she-dwarf eyes Metliz and Elldar, considering if she should intervene.

[sblock=OOC]Updating the first post after this to include some links and a copy of the roster. Links to the IC and OOC threads are now in my signature. I may get a simple map of the area posted, but not sure yet, since Geocities is closing and I can no longer add, remove, or edit files on my Geocities webpage. Have to figure out where to host my maps and other gaming-images in the future.

Remember, this campaign is going to be fairly significantly player-driven. I'll present NPCs, new locations, and situations from time to time. Among the starting NPCs, only Tianulien is especially likely to follow anywhere outside the camp for more than a few hours or few days; Theris and Jaegar are likely to spend most of the time around the camp and working on the fledgeling community and dwellings, though either might go along with the group to other places from time to time. Seshani will either hang around the largest group of people at any given time, follow the most interesting individuals, or just wander off and go searching for even more people.

Regardless, there will likely be someone remaining at the camp at most or all times, so if you ever need aid, supplies, or the like, you can probably find it at the camp, though you can't always count on getting the kind of help or supplies you need. Seshani will have harvested most of the edible flora and founa in the vicinity of the camp within a few weeks or months, depending on how many people she has to support; her Survival skill isn't very good, so she can only find food for a few people per day on average, and her Knowledge (Nature) skill isn't great enough to recognize everything that's safe to eat.

You will need to leave camp at some point, though it might help to return there on occasion even so. If Theris or Seshani get any kind of garden or mini-farm working (possibly with Angrboda's help at times), there might be a consistent, albeit small, food supply at the camp by autumn or next spring in-game. And Theris has all the skills needed to start building permanent structures, given enough time and raw materials. Even so, they might choose to relocate the camp further upstream someday, if you or someone else finds a better location.[/sblock]

Dragonwriter

First Post
Kaznak shakes his head, chuckling at Elldar. The odd little gnome just couldn't stop... However, what Angrboda said had merit. "I don't know what disharmony you're speaking about, but I do agree with finding a better place for a camp. This is too open. I'd gladly go wit' ya to have a look at the hills. Maybe find a cave..." The fire-breathing dwarf pauses, a puzzled look on his face. "For some reason, I really like the sound o' that. Anyways, if we can find us a decent cave, we could hole up there, have an easy defense and be able to leave whenever needed. Could also have the animals and such further back in the cave and take them out to feed during the day."

The dwarf pulls a small chunk of meat out of the sack at his side and starts nibbling it. He looks at it, a slightly unhappy look on his face. Then he smiles and blows a small bit of fire out on the meat, cooking it a little more thoroughly. He walks over in Angrboda's direction, asking between bites, "So when you wanna leave?"

Arkhandus

First Post
Jaegar nods, and the giant, a few inches taller than even Angrboda, rumbles out "I will go along. As long as a few remain behind to maintain the camp."

Theris finishes chewing on some raspberries and replies "I ain't movin' yet. Got t' fortify the place a bit."

Seshani adds "I'll be sticking around here for awhile. At least the general area. So I'll keep a lookout."

Tianulien nods, picking up a fresh apple from the pile and chipping in with "I still have to practice and figure out a few things. I'll be here when you get back," in her lilting voice. It's as if she can't say anything without half-singing it.

Theroc

First Post
Pyre watched perplexed at the antics between the human and the small gnome. At first he thought the woman lost her mind. Why was being on fire a concern. Oh... right... he was the only one with the tolerance for the heat, the others felt excruciating pain, rather akin to what he suspects he'd feel if he was exposed to water. As the human moved to approach him, staring directly into the violet flames from which he viewed the world.

"More? That is a rather indistinct direction... if am I am to bring light to your darkness, I must know where the light must be shed..." The fiery being said, looking back at the human with faint curiousity about the human's curiousity. It was rather sudden, that. She hadn't asked anything earlier when he'd joined the camp... then again, she did seem rather flighty. Perhaps her creator was not his. Possible. Not that any of them truly knew where they came from, yet. At least, Pyre didn't know of any who truly knew.

At the mention of scouting, Pyre turned his head, ready to volunteer as about three others did. Since only one was mentioned by Angrboda originally, Pyre decided sticking by the camp was prudent. After all, it wouldn't do for the camp to be attacked while they were searching for supplies or a more defensible location. "I will remain here and watch over the camp..."

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Angrboda smiles, pleased at the response to her suggestion of scouting the area. "After we finish breakfast. I think a short foray to begin with would be good. At least until we learn the area more thoroughly." She looks around at those who drew closer to discuss plans and ends up looking at the strange fire-creature. "Thank you, Pyre, for volunteering to guard the camp and those who choose to remain here and work." Her eyes flick over to Tianulien briefly and she wonders what purpose such a creature might hold.

Shrugging it off as an idea to explore in her free time, if she should ever have free time, Angrboda returns to more immediate, practical concerns. "So, unless others choose to join us, that makes our scouting party four: Jaegar, myself, Kaznak, and Elldar." She nods, feeling this is a step towards fulfilling her purpose and pleased with it.

"Whenever you are ready, then." However, immediately upon finishing her last statement she begins to feel a building tension and she feels compelled to pause. Uncertainty crosses her broad face for a moment but then she straightens. "I am Angrboda, of the Hu-Charad. May the earth soften the steps of my companions as we set out and may she lead us to success in our search." Angrboda kneels and places both palms on bare dirt. Immediately the previous tension begins to fade away. She's not sure why it is so but it feels right. She stands, again. "Now I am ready."

Voda Vosa

First Post
"I wish to know more. That's my only interest so far. I don't mean any harm to you, of course." She smiled to the fire man with her eyes closed. "I feel a strange connection with... with this" Metliz waved her hand in front of Pyre, moving the air in front of his face. But there was something else, the air began to move violently, like two days ago, when the day was so windy that almost took down some of the tents. Although the manifestation ceased quickly and was local. The woman blinked repeatedly, as not fully aware of exactly how did she performed the strange feat.
"Well, I think we might share something similar in principle, although the nature of this might be different." she offers

Arkhandus

First Post
"How long will this foray be, Angrboda?" Jaegar asks, accepting his stronger-willed mate's leadership for the moment.

He removes the tools and sunrods from one of the sacks in his tent, as well as the sheathed swords at his belt, placing them near Theris' lean-to. Glancing at the tiny woman, he says "I trust you will look after my gear until we return, Theris Blackhammer. I wish to be prepared should I need to carry any fresh supplies back here, so I will travel light."

Jaegar gears up for the trip and hefts the now-lighter sack with his rope and grappling hook inside, slinging it over his left shoulder and taking up his halberd. He looks to Angrboda before deciding whether or not he should bring his tent and bedroll along.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Angrboda thinks a moment. "I'm not sure we should be gone too long this first time. Maybe we should be back before nightfall. What do you think?"

Arkhandus

First Post
"Hmmm. From what Theris Blackhammer, Seshani, and Tianulien Amarastaeia have mentioned before, in the days before you arrived, northward is just more forest for about two days' walk," Jaegar replies. "My short trek with Theris Blackhammer to retrieve her iron did not show me much of the north, but we had barely reached a small bump in the land, hardly even a hill, in that time. Two days' walk northward might take us to the edge of higher ground, but half a day will not." It's becoming rather noticeable that Jaegar always refers to others by their full name, a formality that he always seems to observe.

Tianulien chips in with "There are mountains to the north, but I'm not certain how far. Definitely a few days' journey at least, maybe longer. There aren't any tall trees around here for a good look, but I saw that much."

Last edited:

Remove ads