D&D 3rd Edition / 3.5 The First (IC) (d20/3.x D&D) - Page 7




What's on your mind?

  1. #61
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Dragonwriter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southern California, US
    Posts
    2,465

    Ignore Dragonwriter
    My communities:

    Kaznak shrugs as he walks. "Someone spoke to me... I think it was the one who made me... Anyway, he gave me that gift, along with my fire breath. In fact, it was right after I discovered I could breathe fire out. The voice said that I had another gift I could use to protect any I met from my scorching blasts. So I figured, since I've got it, mayswell use it. Don't want to set any of you on fire."

    Kaznak also keeps an eye out for any plants or fungi that look edible, or might have a medicinal use. He pays attention to things that seem to have been eaten by other creatures, so as to recognize what might not make him and others sick.

    OOC

    Knowledge (nature): 11.
    I think Angrboda and I are too distracted to pay attention to what might be good plants.

 

  • #62
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    Voda Vosa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bahia Blanca, Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    10,968

    Ignore Voda Vosa
    My communities:

    Metliz waves her hand. "Safe journey everyone, we'll be waiting for you." she bids them goodbye. With her erratic behavior, Metliz will probably drop asleep whenever she feels sleepy, not caring much for guard shifts.
    Visit The Link Village of Voda Vosa in the RG for complete game links, and stuff!

  • #63
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Arkhandus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    6,416

    Ignore Arkhandus
    My communities:

    Wolves!

    Elldar leads the way as Angrboda insists, with Angrboda and Jaegar following as the forest gnome navigates his way through the woodland undergrowth. The group notices that Elldar leaves no tracks, broken twigs, or the like in his wake, though the giants certainly do. Kaznak and Forge follow the giants, with Falryn taking up the rear.

    Angrboda and Kaznak have no luck identifying plants and fungi on the first day of the journey northward. Angrboda does manage to find enough edible berries, nuts, fruits, and small animals for lunch and dinner during the first day's trip, however.

    Elldar, Angrboda, Jaegar, Kaznak, Forge, and Falryn head north until around 3 in the afternoon, having traveled about 7 miles, when Elldar hears movement in the bushes ahead, about 90 feet away as Kaznak spies a wolf slinking through the bushes a similar distance to the east. Falryn notices the eastern wolf as well a second later, as Elldar spots the wolf that he heard to the north. Forge and Jaegar finally hear the wolves as they approach a little closer, as Elldar and Kaznak are alerting the group.....

    Angrboda still can't see or hear them, Kaznak and Falryn aren't aware of any besides the eastern one, and neither Forge nor Jaegar can see where the wolves are despite hearing them somewhere to the north and east.

    OOC
    Scouting group, roll initiatives! (...on InvisibleCastle)
    Unnoticed threat(s) 22 initiative
    Northern threat(s) 13 initiative
    Eastern threat(s) 9 initiative
    Other unnoticed threat(s) 4 initiative

    If you beat a 22 initiative, you can post your 1st-round action along with your initiative. For future reference, if you'd prefer I roll initiatives for you, you can say so now and I'll note it down for future encounters to speed things up.

    Post whatever Elldar or Kaznak might say or do to alert the group to the wolves, otherwise the rest of the group will remain flat-footed and inactive until after the wolves take their first turn.

    I rolled Listen and Spot checks for everyone, since it determines encounter distance and speeds things up, and nearly everyone got great Listen checks or great Spot checks, but few got both. Angrboda got poor rolls, while most of the others got one poor roll and one good roll. Only Elldar and Falryn got good rolls for both.

    Since only a few gave any indication of where they'd be in the marching order, I guessed for the rest and listed them accordingly from the front of the group to the rear. Elldar is leading at Angrboda's prompting, and Falryn is bringing up the rear. Elldar is pretty sure the wolves haven't spotted him yet, but they've definitely noticed the giants Angrboda and Jaegar. The two visible wolves (to Elldar, Falryn, and Kaznak anyway) look like normal, Medium-sized wolves.

    Visibility in the forest around here is about 90 feet. There is light undergrowth in this area, which provides concealment (20% miss chance with targeted attacks) and every 5 feet of movement costs 2 squares (10 feet) of movement, so 5-foot steps, charging, and running aren't possible. You are all traveling through the relatively-light undergrowth between trees, so while there are trees a short distance to either side of you, none are in your current spaces. 5 feet of movement (costing 10 feet due to undergrowth) can get you to the same space as an average tree for cover (+2 AC, +1 Reflex).

    Angrboda, Forge, and Jaegar remain flat-footed until they see the wolves, and with their Spot checks that won't be until after the wolves get close and attack.

    I've assumed walking pace for travel so far, as I'm not sure if you wanted to hustle at double-speed to cover more distance. Hustling causes increasing nonlethal damage each hour beyond the first, so for now I've assumed you just walk at normal speed. Let me know whether or not you want to hustle part of the distance before or after the wolf encounter. All of you can hustle for at least 4 hours without much harm (0, 1, 2, and 4 nonlethal damage, healing 1 point of it each time from natural healing), but 5 or 6 straight hours of hustling would make pretty much anyone in the group pass out for one hour.

    I'll put up a map of some sort after initial reactions and initiatives are posted.

    Camp group, I'll move things along there sometime on Wednesday; right now, I need sleep.
    Last edited by Arkhandus; Thursday, 22nd October, 2009 at 07:26 AM.
    Arkhandus, Male Tinker 4/Contemplative 4/Scapegoat 3/Roleplayer 3/Rambler 2/DM 3/Player 1
    Games and Links
    Earlier PbP DMing: (FR 3.5) A Hard Time in Harrowdale (ended)
    The First OOC , IC and (M&M) The Bay City Sentinels (on Crazy Monkey's Asylum) (both ended/suspended)
    Earlier DMing over OpenRPG: D&D 3.5 - T13K Fall of the 14th Kingdom, T13K For More Than Glory,
    Ark's Oerth Adventures, D20 Modern/Future - Zombiepocaylpse, Wardens of Aedenshire
    DMing on OpenRPG: Pathfinder - Weird Frontiers (homebrew), the Jade Regent Adventure Path,
    D&D 3.0 - Rhunaria: Defenders of Delacroix, Star Wars Saga Edition - Light and Shadows
    *EN World's Eyros Creative Exercise and Rules/Crunch of Eyros

    *My Rhunaria D&D setting, prestige classes, feats, etc.
    *My Aurelia D&D thread on EN World, setting and rules; new and revised 3e races, classes,
    variants, PrCs, feats, spells, etc. UPDATED AGAIN September 6th 2011 with more new magic items!

  • #64
    Thy wounds are healed! SILVER SUBSCRIBER
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

    HolyMan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    hagerstown md
    Posts
    12,362

    Ignore HolyMan
    My communities:

    ooc
    Couldn't roll above 22 with my +1 lol but my init is 18 still pretty good.

  • #65
    Registered User
    Scout (Lvl 6)



    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    3,326

    Ignore rangerjohn
    My communities:

    Iniative 15
    Roll Lookup
    rangerjohn

  • #66
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

    Dragonwriter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southern California, US
    Posts
    2,465

    Ignore Dragonwriter
    My communities:

    Kaznak draws in a hissing breath as he spots the wolf. He says, rather loudly so everyone hears it, "Hold up. Wolf to the east." He shakes his head and mumbles to himself, "I wouldn't think a single wolf would go after such a large group... Especially with Angrboda and Jaeger here... Numbers and size and all that..."

    He takes a couple deep breaths, preparing to spill forth the flames.

    OOC and Rolls

    Initiative: 12.
    Well, certainly didn't beat 22.
    At least that'll let the wolves get in range of my fire breath.

  • #67
    Cowled Justice of LPF COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    GlassEye's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    6,516

    Ignore GlassEye
    My communities:

    "What?!" Angrboda stops at Kaznak's warning and looks around for the threat since she hasn't yet discovered it for herself.

    OOC
    Initiative:1d20+2=22
    Didn't beat, but she did tie. You can resolve the order for me, if you would, and in the future you can make Angrboda's initiative rolls. If there is a surprise round and Angrboda gets an action, she'll shift a javelin to her right (main) hand in order to be ready for the next round. If it is a normal round she'll also make a melee attack on a wolf if one should come close enough for her to do so. If one doesn't come close and if she sees one not engaging one of the party, she'll make a ranged attack.

    Angrboda
    AC: 14 Touch: 12 Flat-footed: 12
    HP: 8/8

    Javelin (ranged) +2 1d6+5 x2 30 ft. increment
    Javelin (melee) +5 1d6+5 x2

  • #68
    "Wolf to the north, looks like they came back for dessert! ", says Elldar, loudly enough to make sure his companions hear him but making sure not to shout and attract the wolves attention to him. He tightens his grip on his crossbow as he quickly runs over his options in his head.


    OOC

    Roll Lookup
    Not sure what i'll be doing immediately.
    1. I may hide and move to the trees so I can have better cover or ambush and flank any wolves that charge right in and attack the group.
    2. If it'd be to our advantage/would be feasible could one of the giants lift me into a tree so i have a better view for shooting (maybe eliminates concealment % miss due to high ground? i'm only 60 lbs gear and all so i imagine it's no big chore:P).
    3. My last choice would be to just start shooting at the wolves, as with concealment and range of 90 i'm likely to miss.

    And feel free to roll my initiatives, pretty glad i took improved initiative as that +8 is quite the help.

  • #69
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Arkhandus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    6,416

    Ignore Arkhandus
    My communities:

    Wolves! Surprise Round

    Two wolves approach from the west, seen only by Elldar, Falryn, and Kaznak. Forge and Jaegar hear those wolves moving through the bushes to the west, but can't see them. The western wolves get within 90 feet of Kaznak and Forge, barely noticeable.

    Surprise Round
    Initiatives:
    22 Western Wolves
    22 Angrboda
    19 Elldar
    18 Forge
    15 Falryn
    13 Northern Wolf or Wolves
    12 Kaznak
    9 Eastern Wolf or Wolves
    7 Jaegar
    4 Unnoticed Wolf or Wolves

    Angrboda's 14 Dex is lower than the wolves' 15, so they win the tie. Angrboda gets no action in the surprise round since she didn't notice the wolves soon enough.

    Western wolves sneak just close enough to be noticed by most of the group.

    Elldar, Forge, and Falryn may each take an action now for the surprise round. Only a move action or a standard action with no movement.

    I'll put up a map once the wolves are actually close enough for it to matter. Sneaking about and moving through undergrowth is slowing the wolves down.
    Last edited by Arkhandus; Thursday, 22nd October, 2009 at 02:26 AM.

  • #70
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    Arkhandus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    6,416

    Ignore Arkhandus
    My communities:

    Back at the camp, Tianulien spends her day carving the beginnings of a longbow, while Theris chops down a tree and starts hacking it to pieces, working on the first stages of a caltrop-like, wood-spike fence-line. By herself, the dwarf doesn't get any of the spikes quite finished this day.

    Theris tells Pyre, "Y'know, ya could clear a line o' vegetation 'round the camp, 'bout an arm's-length wide, just leavin' a bit o' green in the middle o' the line, then gather tinder along that line t' set it on fire later if the camp's attacked again. Git ourselves a wall o' fire t' scare off enemies. 'Course we won't need t' light it unless somethin' attacks."

    Seshani leaves Pyre to guard over the camp for most of the day while she wanders the woods, looking for game animals and anything that might help Tianulien in producing bowstrings. Seshani asks Metliz "Do you want to come along and explore a little?" before leaving.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •