Proposal: Atreus D'torian's Overhaul

KenHood

First Post
If covaithe is up for this, we could do it all in character, in the Closed Eye thread, because Atreus is going to die when Hacker doesn't provide healing....

;)

covaithe

Explorer
1. Revenant Assassin? Seriously? *cough*flavorofthemonth*cough*

2. Ok, so Atreus was secretly an assassin this whole time, and managed to fool people. Fine. But you expect us to swallow the idea that he was actually undead, and we somehow failed to notice?

3. Were you going to tell your DM about this idea, at some point?

Seriously, stuff like this make me want to just throw my hands up and order a copy of WoW.

Atriden

First Post
Kenhood said:
If covaithe is up for this, we could do it all in character, in the Closed Eye thread, because Atreus is going to die when Hacker doesn't provide healing....
Haha, true.
Covaithe said:
1. Revenant Assassin? Seriously? *cough*flavorofthemonth*cough*
Well, I like it.
Covaithe said:
2. Ok, so Atreus was secretly an assassin this whole time, and managed to fool people. Fine. But you expect us to swallow the idea that he was actually undead, and we somehow failed to notice?
Nope, that was not my idea. The idea was that he becomes a Revenant and acquires the new powers/skills after his death.
Covaithe said:
3. Were you going to tell your DM about this idea, at some point?
Of course. Besides I wasn't expecting to make the changes before perhaps after the closed eye concludes, but I was going to make a post in game to hear what you thought about it.

Atriden

First Post
I have been thinking a bit more about this, and have come to the conclusion that even though I would like to change race, it is not the most important thing. What ultimately matters to me, if I can get the class change which I still really liked to.

We could but it this way:
Option 1: Atreus can change race and class
Option 2: Atreus can change class but not race
Option 3: Atreus cannot change race or class

So, what is the ruling of the judges? Or is there more to debate? (Please feel comment)

Atriden

First Post
Al right, nobody has voted nor commented, so I am changing this proposal. As I said the most important thing is to get the class change.

Proposal:
Change Atreus' class. Rogue to Assassin

Comments:
Well, this is a bit different from other one.

His mentor Kalach has been training him as an assassin, but without Atreus' consciously knowing. Earlier in the game, I mentioned a pact which he has made when he pledged his life to the kingdom. A strange initiation which required Atreus to drink some form of intoxication that but him into a trance.

In this trance he experiences a dark world where he is told by a hooded man that if he is to be a member of the brotherhood(the intelligence service), he must give away a part of his body to reflect his determination to fight the Oni and his loyalty to the brotherhood. This is the last thing he remembered and only until recently, thought it only to be a wild hallucination.

His numerous encounters with death has made him discover something inside of him, a unknown power of great strength. And time after time, he has been having flashbacks and illusions of Kalach, as if he is trying to help realize this potential.

At some point during the game he unlocks his shadow powers, perhaps a another near death experience makes him realize who he is or something else unlocks it.

Rationale:

In stead of making two drastic changes, there is now only one. Its also much easier to make the change in game.

Other details:
Ability scores change to 10 str, 14 con, 18 dex, 10 int, 10 wis, 16 cha

Feat: Multi: Sneak of Shadows, Toughness feat, Killers Insight

Powers: Leaping Shade, Executioner's Noose, Inescapable Blade, Nightmare Shades, Targeted for Death, Cloak of Shades.

Equipment: No changes to his current equipment.

Summary: So this is what I propose:
Change Class: Rogue to Assassin
Reason: Wants to keep his current character but wants to play an Assassin.

Velmont

First Post
In my case, I had the same feeling at one time, so I just simply retired my character and create a new one, using the retirement rules. Doing so, I also decide to work a bit more on the background and personality, so the two characters are, in fluff, two characters, but my Figther/Wizard multi-class became a swordmage.

So, why not simply following the retirement rules for such thing?

I think the overhaul is a good thing to keep, but I find it more interesting to apply when come out a new source book. I've also done that with my Pacific Cleric in LEB. I had decided the concept before Divine Power came out, so with so many new option for the concept, the overhaul was welcomed.

My swordmage might too go through it as I created it before Aracane Power was an approved source, but as there is less change to do, I might simply go retraining everything I want to retrain, even if it takes two level to do so.

covaithe

Explorer
Atriden, you have the bad fortune to be the third person proposing to do this (Emral and Murphy were the others, if memory serves). I don't know about you guys, but the fact that this is the third time means, to me, that it's going to happen again and again and we should cover it with a general policy, rather than continuing to handle case-by-case.

So, the question is, should we allow class changes with a one-time overhaul, with no further justification? (Because, really, "it fits my concept of the character better" is effectively ho justification at all...)

I've said no to this in the past, on the grounds that I think a class change is pretty all-encompassing; you're pretty much rebuilding the character from the ground up, and if you do that you might as well use the retirement mechanism.

I'm not really seeing anything here to convince me otherwise.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
As far as I am concerned, the best thing to do is simply to Retire your character, claim he was killed (or hell, arranged for him to actually die at the end of the enxt advneture if the DM is willing). Then make your new Revenant assassin as per standard rules for new PC and in his background state that he is Atreus who came back to life.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases