Dominate and free actions

Mahali

Explorer
RAW - The the player can take free actions.
RAI - No. Domination represents control over another creatures actions and their fight to resist (this is why you only get to choose one action).

I let dominated creatures use free actions that grant saving throws.

The issue is that if you let the dominated character choose free actions they can largely nerf the whole domination effect by doing things like dropping everything they carry. I think its reasonably dramatic to make it a case-by-case sort of thing. The player can attempt a free action and the DM can decide to allow it or not just like with any other free action. So maybe the DM lets the character talk but not drop his sword because its fun when the character is beating on his friend and all the while screaming "look out!" lol. I think it also seems fair to let the character take actions that grant saves or save bonuses. That can be cool.

Ryujin

Legend
Of their own accord? No. As directed by the dominating creature? Yes. A free action is still an action, of which the dominated character can only be commanded to perform one of each round.

keterys

First Post
Expect significant table variation. Usually of a very inconsistent nature.

For example, Ryujin's answer hinges on 'The dominating creature chooses your action.' effectively being written as 'The dominating creature may only choose one action for you to take on your turn'. Which it might be intended to be.

And if it is limited, does anything stop you from taking as many free actions as you want since Dazed lets you take free actions? Well, dominate says nothing of stopping you from taking any actions you want to, so apparently so unless you allow the dominated creature to choose actions.

And since free actions include some critical things for fun at the table, like talking, it's... a bit of a quagmire.

Personally, I think the intent is for the dominated creature to pick your actions, with the normal restrictions for dazed, and note that you can't take infinite free actions _anyways_. So, sure, it can have you drop your weapon and walk away from it. It could also have you hold your longsword in two hands (free action) and charge someone.

Or, if a dominated person got stuck in a literal quagmire that had a rule 'Creatures caught in this quagmire may make an Athletics check as a free action at the start of their turn or they're immobilized', a dominated person should in theory be able to make that free action, then take a move action out of it, rather than being perpetually stuck because them's the rules :)

eamon

Explorer
Thanks - I remember an earlier discussion about the dreadnought P.P., where some suggested that since a dreadnought could use a free action to end a save-ends effect he could use it vs. dominate effects as well.

Clearly, it's not exactly obvious how to treat free actions in general. Thanks for the answers!

Remove ads