Question: Intelligent Items

fireinthedust

Explorer
just throwing this out there: could we not be so offensive to the various items in the game, and expand our minds by using the definition "Sentient Magical Items"? There are some pretty dumb items out there, like a +1 Dragonsbane sword, or that sentient girdle of masculinity/femininity no one talks about but everyone knows about (aka "Charismonique" to friends).

but yeah.

I think in the list of books somewhere there's sentient artifacts. I don't know if intelligent items have been written about in any articles or supplements, tho.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Do you mean artifact-level items, or just things like a chatty +1 longsword. I don't see anything wrong with the latter, and I'm pretty sure the former hasn't come up yet.

KenHood

First Post
The latter. I want to do something funny (but cool) with one of my PC's...

I think we approved the Dragon magazine with them, right?

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
I wouldn't mind artifacts either. The only trouble with them is that they require the DM to 'play along' if they are ported from one adventure to the other.

LFR only allows their use within a single adventure or within a campaign being coordinated by a single DM, where the artifact is required to 'move on' before the adventure/campaign ends.

I do, however, think that when they are tactfully used, they make a story extremely interesting.

As for comical, gabby weapons, have at it. I mean, with Ken, where can you go wrong?

CaBaNa

First Post
I wouldn't mind artifacts either. The only trouble with them is that they require the DM to 'play along' if they are ported from one adventure to the other.

LFR only allows their use within a single adventure or within a campaign being coordinated by a single DM, where the artifact is required to 'move on' before the adventure/campaign ends.

I do, however, think that when they are tactfully used, they make a story extremely interesting.

As for comical, gabby weapons, have at it. I mean, with Ken, where can you go wrong?
Anywhere, and everywhere...

Jokes aside, intelligent items don't sound problematic.

covaithe

Explorer
I remember reviewing the article in question, and I'm pretty sure that we decided either a) the specific items in it were harmless, and/or b) the guidelines for DMs on creating new ones didn't require voting.

I can't conveniently quote chapter and verse at the moment, but either way, I'm pretty sure you're fine.

renau1g

First Post
Only problem will be once Ken's adventures over, and say the PC ends up in my game, am I expected to RP the intelligent weapon, or should Ken jump into my thread to control the sword, or at the end of his adventure should the weapon lose it's intelligence? Personally, I don't think they're a good idea outside of a contained adventure, because I don't think we should saddle other DM's with having to control a constant NPC.

weldon

Explorer
I might be wrong, but I read KenHood's comment as pertaining to one of his own PC's and he would be roleplaying the intelligent weapon as a player, not a DM.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases