Adventure: Hey! That's Not Wayne's Basement! (DM: H.M.Gimlord, Judge: Ozymandias79)

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
While discussing the location of the necklace with Riardon and Fenwick, he examines the chest. As ornately decorated as it is, there is no lock and it opens without effort or incident. Inside is a stack of rag papers covered with crude scrawls. The papers are creased as if they had spent many years undisturbed, but their current muddled orientation suggests that they've been recently rifled through by uncaring hands. The papers appear that they are not in their original order, interleaved, and folded in the opposite direction of their original creases.

The writing, unfortunately, is similar to that found on the outside of the chest, and thus incomprehensible to Talon, and likewise, the rest of the company as he shares what he has found.

[sblock=Top three sheets]
NotetoHankelcopy.png
History.png

Aleinheist.jpg

[/sblock]Among the papers, a newer-looking sheet of vellum, with no creases, bears writing in a different hand, in an odd dialect of Allarian. It isn't too hard for Talon to read:[sblock=Vellum sheet]
NotetoHankelTranslation.png
[/sblock][sblock=Insight DC 15]The vellum sheet seems to be an attempt, made by one of the thieves, to translate a page of the old papers in the chest.[/sblock][sblock=Rujah]The draconic text on the map, next to the island, reads: "Dragon's Forest."

The Draconic text in the lower left quarter of the map reads:
"Cthor 5>. , Maros 86<. , Septino 108>/"

(not exactly revealing, but I figured you'd want to know what it said).[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tenchuu

First Post
[sblock=OOC]No Help here; failed the insight check.[/sblock]

Jin shrugged and said, "Read while we walk. We must find the necklace. Who knows what little thieves might still be lurking down here." Jin moved slowly back to the shoreline. On the way, the shuffled his two swords, so that his father's blade was his primary weapon.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Insight check vs DC15 (1d20+3=8)

Talon can make no sense of the papers beyond the vellum one with understandable writing. He is more concerned with finding the amulet than he is with incomprehensible writings on papers. Not to mention his new spear which he keeps glancing at as he walks, thumping the butt of it on the floor as he goes.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Talon, Riardon, Jin, Rujah, and Fenwick continue their search for the amulet. Since Riardon is quite familiar with the last time he saw it (it hit him in the head leaving a welt that is still smarting a little), he is quickly able to narrow the area of interest, and thus the search does not take long.

Behind the original pile of items is a small stash of jewelry and gold pieces. Talon reaches for the amulet. As his fingers wrap around the beads of the necklace the familiar voice he's been hearing all evening slides gracefully through his thoughts, "That was fun, now let's see if your curiosity is worth my company."

The gold and the treasure chamber vanish, the air becomes warmer and less humid, the smell of sewage is replaced by the smell of musty beer, and it's dark (very dark).

Riardon unsheaths his blade and light scatters off floor, walls, casks, and barrels. The barrels bear a logo sporting the letters, "WB" and a familiar crest. Written beneath each crest in handsome script (or some attempt thereof) is a trademark line, "Daunton's Finest Ale For Over A Century."

A stone stair and keg ramp lead up to an open cellar door.

A voice calls down from the opening, "Oi! 'ew's dahn ther!" Varquat enters the perimeter of Riardon's illuminated ring, standing at the top of the stairs. Squinting in the light with a searching expression, he holds his hands up to shadow his face, "Oi! I's ye! Tho't ye was gahn fer good oi did! Ye walked in an' tha' was it. Been 'ere ol noit oi 'ave. Looks loik ye foun' me ole cellah," he looks around with the look of a drill sergeant inspecting his ranks, "Ye go' m'wifie's necklace?"

BenBrown

First Post
"Hello beer-man!" Fenwick says. "We have necklace. Fenwick not sure if it identical necklace to lost one. Also we find mysterious and eldritch things which now vanished. You know someone name 'Hankel'?"

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Just a clarifying point. You still have whatever you were actually carrying at the time (i.e.: magic weapons, Riardon's cloak, Jin's lamp, Jin's gold, the chest, etc...). Only the pile of gold and jewelry in the treasure room vanished (because I didn't let you pick it up just yet ;)).[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Just a clarifying point. You still have whatever you were actually carrying at the time (i.e.: magic weapons, Riardon's cloak, Jin's lamp, Jin's gold, the chest, etc...). Only the pile of gold and jewelry in the treasure room vanished (because I didn't let you pick it up just yet ;)).

No! Treasure! Come back! We love you!
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Varquat looks quizically at Fenwick, "'ankel ye say? Nah. Oi neveh 'eard o' 'im," He gives a low whistle when he sees the axe that Fenwick is carrying, "An' oi'm no' carin' wha' ye foun' i' tha' fatso's cellah. Ye'c'n kep i' 'slong s'ye go' moi woifie's necklace."

Tenchuu

First Post
"While not certain what caused your basement to disappear, it would seem we have driven the magic from this place, as it has returned to normal. Plus, we have saved your marriage without doubt," Jin said.

After they finished with Varquat, Jin looked at the others. "Inside, I found bag a gold. I would not feel right unless we split it." The ronin emptied the pouch and made five piles, each 12gp. He gave a pile to each of his fellow adventurers, and kept the final stack for himself. "I have enjoyed working with you all. I hope the fates conspire to bring us together again."

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
"Saved moi marige ye say? Oi don' know wha' ye mean. Moi woifie's passed on Oi sp'ose some six'n'alf yes 'go. Ev'ry now'n'then Oi sweahs Oi 'ears 'er voice atellin' mi Oi shoul' give up me daddy's ole brew'ry an' go on some gran' ole lark Oi shoul'." He looks at the necklace,"No' me say Oi. I's 'ear ole Varqua' belongs!"

Varquat looks from one adventurer's face to the other, and for the first times seems to realize the hardship his request has brought upon the group, "Ye boys wai' roi' 'ear." He pockets the necklace and runs down the stairs into the cellar. There's a great deal of banging and scraping heard from outside the cellar door, and then he emerges once more, carrying 5 bags, "Ye saved moi bre'ry, ye di'. An fer tha' Oi owes ye mor'n Oi can scrape in a year's toim! Bu' Oi'm 'opin this'll moik i' 'li'l easier on yes." He hands each of the adventurers a bag that jingles when it's transferred from hand to hand, "An' Oi'll be sure ta go on dahn ta' th' ole 'Anged Man an' ask 'em ta roon up a tab fer ye. Ye'll ne'r 'ave ta pay fer a drink o' ole Wayne's Ale!"[sblock=Bag Contents]
The bags were simply grabbed by Varquat, and each of you supposes that he just grabbed whatever he could get his hands on from a strong-box somewhere, and you'll have to divy it out later.

• Riardon's bag contains 166gp.
  • Jin's bag only contains 64gp, but he counts himself lucky considering his find in the thieves' den.
  • Fenwick finds 114gp as do Rujah and Talon each.

Either Varquat is extremely appreciative of your work, or he seemed generous in his haste to repay you.
[/sblock]The group says good-bye to Varquat and begins its slow walk back to the Hanged Man, tired from a grand adventure, all too short and unbelievable; just enough to ready them for the next.

Talon, still carries the mahogany chest under his arm, wondering what the map and letters might mean. Perhaps he can find someone who could translate them.

[sblock=Talon & Riardon]As you and the rest of the group make your way back to the Hanged Man, you hear the woman's voice growing fainter, but clearly saying her good-bye's as well, "We'll meet again. You're not the type to keep me waiting."

[sblock=Explanation of the Voice]The voice is that of Varquat's wife whose soul has been bound to an amulet of passage (the necklace). She always regretted marrying the old brewer, who up to the time of their marriage was an adventurer much like yourselves. The necklace, she received as a wedding present from Doddodod, a wizard of renown in Daunton. Some days after the wedding, Varquat's father died and passed the brewery off to his son who gave up adventuring to continue the family business. Varquat's wife was mortified at the prospect of being bound to a domestic life, and, for some reason, her constitution mirrored this wanderlust, which was only deepened by the constant nagging of the amulet. She took ill only three weeks after Varquat took possession of the brewery, and died within a month. Ever since then, Varquat has lost himself in his business, and the beer has never tasted as good.[/sblock][/sblock][sblock=Treasure & XP Summary submitted for approval]
Encounter Level 1
5PCs
Party Level 2

Skill Challenge: Complexity 2 200XP

Encounter Level 3 (1200)
5 PCs
Party Level 2

This encounter includes the following:

·1 Halfling Slinger Level 1 Artillery
Small natural humanoid XP 100
·3 Human Bandit Level 2 Skirmisher
Medium natural humanoid (human) XP 125 each
·1 Human Ruffian Level 2 Skirmisher
Medium natural humanoid (human) XP 125
·1 Rat Swarm Level 2 Skirmisher
Medium natural beast (swarm) XP 125
·3 Human Thug Level 1 No Role
Medium natural humanoid (human) XP 25 each
·1 Human Noble Level 5 Leader
Medium natural humanoid (human) XP 200
·2 Spiretop Drake Level 1 Skirmisher
Small natural beast (reptile) XP 100 each

Double the above = 4800

960 per character.

Time XP (Since October 21st Two Months) 208XP for Riardon, 166 XP for everyone else. I believe that this gets each of yo to the next level.

Total XP per character:
Riardon: 1168
Everyone else: 1126
Time (and total) Gold:
178gp for Riardon,
76gp for Jin (includes 12gp from the den) + 50gp from the lamp = total 126gp
126gp for everyone else (includes the 12gp given by Jin).

Treasure:
Rujah: Lightning Warhammer +1 Level 5
Talon: Longspear of Mydroon's Shard +1 Level 4
Jin: Acidic Bastard Sword +1 Level 4
Riardon: Cloak of the Walking Wounded Level 4
Fenwick: Vanguard Executioner's Axe Level 3

Caveat: Don't update your character sheets until Ozy weighs in on his approval.

AND THANK YOU ALL FOR ONE OF THE BEST GAMES I'VE HAD IN AGES![/sblock][sblock=Where do we go from here]Obviously, this adventure is just a glorified hook into a much longer and more interesting adventure.

There is of course the map that Riardon found in the boat and the box with the runes on it (and it's contents, hint, hint). I encourage you to study these a little. They do contain subtle hints that will help in your enjoyment and success in the adventure to come. I'm re-posting them here for your convenience:[sblock=Maps & Letters]
Aleinheist.jpg

NotetoHankelTranslation.png

AvenrocandErkemhestcopy.png

Thetopofthebox-1.png

History.png
NotetoHankelcopy.png
[/sblock]The weapons that Talon and Rujah found have runes on them similar to those on the lid Talon's chest. This might mean something as well (hint hint).

These pose some questions you might want to get answered, and the Hanged Man may be a way to look around for anyone who is able to read the runes.

Opt Out: You can also opt out of the hook. I know that I enjoyed this adventure, but maybe you, not so much? If you want to jump tracks to another adventure, here's your chance. I'll recruit replacements if necessary.

Please let me know where you want to go from here, given this information.

...and thanks once more for a great time! It's been fun![/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads