Dark Sun: Dragon Kings... or Sorcerer Kings?

Wik

First Post
So, here's a quick question for everyone following the 4e Dark Sun setting. Basically, will the setting use the etymology of "Sorcerer Kings" (as in the original boxed set) or the term "Dragon Kings" (which was the name of the first product to be released for Dark Sun, if memory serves, and was commonly used throughout the rest of the product line)?

The reason I ask is simple. In the original boxed set, there was talk about Sorcerer Kings, but very little was said about who and what they were. Most of the people didn't know much about their rulers - only that they were the latest crop of rulers (remember, the book suggests a few of the SKs came into power only a few centuries earlier... such as Andropinis and Tecktuktitlay).

Following the release of the Dragon kigns books, which dropped the bombshell that the SKs were defilers turning into Dragons (but didn't want the people to know this), it soon became common knowledge among PCs (and, in the assumptions of a few products, the common population) that the SKs were actually part dragon. Hence, they were often called "Dragon Kings".

I'm just curious. Do you think the 4e book is going to use the Sorcerer Kings term (and the implied mystery of who and what they are?) or will it go with the more flavourful, post-boxed set Dragon King term?

And which way would you like to see it go?

delericho

Legend
And which way would you like to see it go?

I would vastly prefer they be called "Sorcerer Kings", and fleshed out as little as possible. In my opinion, the Dark Sun setting became less cool with each product that was released (including the novels).

Of course, that's just one man's preference. (And, in fact, WotC should ignore me entirely, since I won't be buying into the 4e setting... still, there it is, for whatever it's worth.)

Wik

First Post
I would vastly prefer they be called "Sorcerer Kings", and fleshed out as little as possible. In my opinion, the Dark Sun setting became less cool with each product that was released (including the novels).

Of course, that's just one man's preference. (And, in fact, WotC should ignore me entirely, since I won't be buying into the 4e setting... still, there it is, for whatever it's worth.)

I agree with you, I think. I mean, I like Dragon Kings (and if you believe the foreword to that book, it was meant to be included in the core setting, but excluded due to space), but I think the idea of inherently human sorcerer kings is cooler than that of so-called "dragon" kings.

That being said, I think we're gonna see Dragon Kings as the presumed setting standard. Despite not being in the original setting, they are pretty much "core" Dark Sun.

Andor

First Post
I agree with you, I think. I mean, I like Dragon Kings (and if you believe the foreword to that book, it was meant to be included in the core setting, but excluded due to space), but I think the idea of inherently human sorcerer kings is cooler than that of so-called "dragon" kings.

That being said, I think we're gonna see Dragon Kings as the presumed setting standard. Despite not being in the original setting, they are pretty much "core" Dark Sun.

I kind of agree. I think the transmogrification of the SKs into DKs will be part of the setting. But I don't think that should be common knowledge. PCs can handle a little doublethink. ;)

Wik

First Post
It's funny... in my home-brewed Dark Sun, Dragon Kings were the standard. Players knew it, but their characters did not. And we operated under the assumption that ANY dragon could grant spells to Templars. (Avangions too).

I'm thinking for 4e, though, I might go with the Sorcerer Kings as human approach... it seems more sword and sorcery to me.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
This is WotC, you know. Of course there will be an over-emphasis on dragons. I mean, is there any question?

Don't be surprised if it is even public knowledge the rulers are Dragon Kings in 4e Athas.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases