Theroc

First Post
Sorry :-S I've added them to my photobucket account:
[sblock=suggestions for Rujah]
71.jpg

126200.jpg
[/sblock]

No biggie, I just couldn't see them. ;)

I think the second one would fit better. Also, let me copy Rujah's description here, in case I missed something.

[sblock=Rujah's physical description]
Rujah Neth is a powerfully built Dragonborn, even for his kin. While not extraordinary for Dragonborn who enter the fray in close, he is definitely on the upper end of average. His scales are a dark green, closely resembling that of a green dragon. There are a few scars on his uppor torso, but most are covered with the hides he uses to protect himself. Another feature that separates him from other Dragonborn, was the fact that he actually had a tail. While he appears somewhat imposing and gives a somewhat wild vibe to those around him, he's not overly anti-social and a relatively friendly person... unless you are one who he's seen defiling the natural order.[/sblock]

Generally speaking, the intended effect is that he resembles dragons more closely than the usual Dragonborn, with scale color, crest, tail, etc...

So, anything you can do to emphasize that would be great. For the background, something a bit darker/forest-y would be better, but it's less important than Rujah himself, obviously.

I greatly appreciate the work, as I'm sure this isn't precisely easy. (I tend to end up with characters who I find it hard to find images for, lol)

Dunamin

First Post
Hey Fragsie, your work looks great! :)

I would humbly request a portrait of my character Rhole, a gnome bard rockstar who uses his goatee as guitar-strings.

While concept and personality in part is influenced by Tenacious D’s Jack Black, the main inspiration for attitude and appearance comes from this image of Jimi Hendrix:

[sblock=Jimi]
jimi-hendrix.jpg
[/sblock]

There are descriptions of Rhole on his sheet, from his concert in the Hanged Man, and from his introduction in the Ring of the Fey Lord adventure. The most important changes that are requested, however, are just extending Jimi’s goatee to the rear of the guitar to become strings and changing his eyes to gnome-style.

I would be immensely grateful for anything you could do!

Last edited:

Fragsie

Explorer
Well, I'm begining to learn how to use photoshop for my characters. I have a deviantArt page, if you want to check out. I'm just begining to put color and background to my pencil draws. Tell me what you think:

The link to my deviantart page is on the blue image of my signature. If you have sketches I could try to color them. Will use the training!

I think you'e doing well for someone who's just started out; the basic of what you do to colour a pic stay the same as you get to grips with the program; it's just little techniques to do with the other tools available that you'll lean, that improve the quality of what you can do. Are you doing your colouring on a separate layer?

A couple of things I could suggest for you to try out:
* Duplicate your backround layer (naming it 'line art' helps to keep your layers organised), you want to make the lines as black as possible and to minimise your shading. Go to Image>Adjustments>Contrast & Brightness and Levels and play about with it until you get a decent picture. Then bring the layer to the top and set the blending mode to Overlay or Multiply. This will give you picture some good definition.
* When building up you shading, don't forget that you can drop the flow or opacity of your paintbrush down, this really helps make shading smooth.
*make use of selections; With your new line art layer it should be really easy to use the Magnetic Selection Tool to pick out areas to colour. With the specific area chosen shading is helped a lot by using the Gradient tool (with a light and a dark shade of your colour selected) to give you a base to work from.
*Experiment with different Layer Blending Modes.

Would you mind poping the pics in your first post in sblocks please? just to help keep the thread tidy:)
Awesome work on Crag, Fragsie! Is there any way you could make Crag's shield look like it was shaped out of stone/earth rather than being metal? I love the feet, that looks AWESOME! Would it be hard to add that same effect to his hands/arms or even the rest of his body?
I did try with the same texture on the shield, but thought it looked a bit odd; I could have a go at trying some different things out though. I could quite easily add the earthen colouring to Crags arms or body, I think the picture might loose some of it's 'action' if I did the whole lot though, I think it looks like the picture has caught him in the middle of some transformation, which is kind cool:p

Generally speaking, the intended effect is that he resembles dragons more closely than the usual Dragonborn, with scale color, crest, tail, etc...

So, anything you can do to emphasize that would be great. For the background, something a bit darker/forest-y would be better, but it's less important than Rujah himself, obviously.

I greatly appreciate the work, as I'm sure this isn't precisely easy. (I tend to end up with characters who I find it hard to find images for, lol)
The background won't be difficult at all; i'll probably transpose a Rujah onto a different picture. Don't worry about the awkwardness of finding/modding a picture, It just means I have more of a challenge:]

I would humbly request a portrait of my character Rhole, a gnome bard rockstar who uses his goatee as guitar-strings.

While concept and personality in part is influenced by Tenacious D’s Jack Black, the main inspiration for attitude and appearance comes from this image of Jimi Hendrix:

The most important changes that are requested, however, are just extending Jimi’s goatee to the rear of the guitar to become strings and changing his eyes to gnome-style.

I would be immensely grateful for anything you could do!
Thankyou for the kudos, any chance of you posting a little sketch of how you want the beard attached to the guitar? needn't be anything spectacular; just so I know what to do.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Nice tip, specially on the magnetic selection! I'm using layers for clothing, skin and shades. Do you know how should I do the border lines?

Dunamin

First Post
The concert in the hanged man was awesome!
Thanks, I plan to do more eventually. There's just so much potential in rock-comedy. :)

Thankyou for the kudos, any chance of you posting a little sketch of how you want the beard attached to the guitar? needn't be anything spectacular; just so I know what to do.
Here's a take after messing around in PowerPoint:

[sblock=Rhole sketch]
slide1mx.jpg
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer

[sblock=tidy!]
jimi-hendrix.jpg

[/sblock]

There are descriptions of Rhole on his sheet, from his concert in the Hanged Man, and from his introduction in the Ring of the Fey Lord adventure. The most important changes that are requested, however, are just extending Jimi’s goatee to the rear of the guitar to become strings and changing his eyes to gnome-style.

I'm not worthy to be on the same message board as genius like this. While I was being rippped apart by Fell Taints, I missed the concert of a lifetime. You'll get super XP from me for this!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Theroc

First Post
Not to be a killjoy, but could we preserve Jimi Hendrix in a nice sblock? He's kinda larger than life here on my PC, warping the reality that is my standard threadwidth... ;):p

Dunamin

First Post
I'm not worthy to be on the same message board as genius like this. While I was being rippped apart by Fell Taints, I missed the concert of a lifetime. You'll get super XP from me for this!:cool:
He, thanks. I'll make sure to do a follow up after Rhole gets back from his current adventure. :)

Not to be a killjoy, but could we preserve Jimi Hendrix in a nice sblock? He's kinda larger than life here on my PC, warping the reality that is my standard threadwidth... ;):p
My apologies, I didn't think of that to begin with.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
OK. Here's my idea for Arkavas. I was thinking somebody bald (he's a deva), professorial (He's an artificer), and yet hefting a huge sword (He's got a Vengeful Fullblade +1). Here's what I came up with.

[sblock=Arkavas]
Arkavas.jpg

[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases