D&D 3E/3.5 Pathfinder XP in Converted 3.5 Adventures

Atavar

First Post
I plan to start a new Pathfinder campaign with my players. The first adventure I plan to run is a 3.5 module from Paizo. The module states that the characters should be level 1 at the start of the adventure and that they should reach level 3 by the end of the adventure.

My question is, will that still hold true if my characters are advancing using Pathfinder XP rules? Should I use the slow, medium, or fast XP progression? I believe that the fast XP progression is supposed to be closest to the speed of 3.5, but I am not sure, and I certainly don't have any experience using it to know yet.

So, does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks,

Atavar

Zil

Explorer
With the Beta Pathfinder Rules you definitely want to use the fast progression if you don't intend to add some of your own material in between adventures to bring the characters up to the recommended level for the next adventure in the sequence (assuming it is part of an adventure path). I believe the same is true of the final rules.

I ran two different Paizo adventure paths with the Pathfinder Beta rules - one with the fast advancement rules, and the other with the medium advancement rules. With the medium rules, the characters started falling behind and I had to add/adjust things accordingly. For the adventure path with the fast advancement, I didn't have any issues with the players falling behind.

Note that the experience rewards/CR for many creatures with PC/NPC class levels has changed with Pathfinder so you'll need to decide if you want to go with the CR from the 3.5 adventure or the new Pathfinder CRs. I had just been using the older 3.5 CRs, but I've started to transition to fully use the new CR scheme now that we have switched over to the Pathfinder final and I suspect that the players will start to fall a bit behind over time if I don't add/adjust the adventure path.

Atavar

First Post
Thanks! I'm not running an adventure path, so I'm not worried about getting the part to a high enough level for the next adventure. I am trying to make sure that the party is high enough level by the end of a given adventure because I have often found that the encounters at the end of a module are challenging enough that they'd be especially deadly if the party doesn't gain enough levels during the adventure itself.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases