Best Cleric race? (sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

Reidentski

First Post
IAs the title says i'm sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forums. i haven't learned exactly where to go. Anyway, i've just started a campaign with some friends and i was wondering about what race is the best for a cleric or just in general the best ways to have a cleric. i know this information may be subjective and regardless of which i play i should just have fun, BUT i'd like to make myself the best cleric i could. We're starting from level 1. so if anyone has any info on this or can direct me to a link with this information i'd greatly apreciate it.

its been somewhat difficult finding this kind of information, i gues its cause i'm new to D&D. thanks again for any assistance in this matter.

Klaus

First Post
First and foremost, you need a race with +2 to Wisdom. This points you toward dwarf, elf, shifters and (possibly) human.

Of these races, the dwarf's other abilities best complement a cleric's abilities (minor action for second wind, high Con, dwarf weapon training for those classic cleric hammers, etc).

So, without more information, a dwarf cleric would be a solid way to go.

Reidentski

First Post
thats what i was thinking. i started as a dwarf, but seeing as this is our first time playing our DM is being kind enough to let us alter things prior to lvl 3 or so cause he wants us to be happy with what we're doing. i've unfortunately been wishy washy about it and gone from dwarf to human and thought about going elf. But it did seem like dwarf was the clear choice, even tho Human's got the exra powers and all, i wasn't sure how curcial of a thing that was. i'd guess at first its nice to have but the only good out of it would be twards the extra feats so i'd be closer to other ones as i level (if this is even the right train of thought)

We're using more of the traditional races/classes for our first time so i know nothing about shifters, But Dwarf did seem like a clear choice for the reasons u suggested. such as having second wind as a minor which would help towards Life transference combo and as u said the extra CON. i'm not really aware of how important training in hammers is for me. i'd be playing a devouted/shielding cleric, although i'm not sure if battle cleric would be the best choice (prefernce aside). at the moment our grp consists of an Elf guardian fighter, elf ranger, eladrin wizard, and a halfling sorceror so i didn't see a oint in me being a battle cleric unless i just don't have the foresight to know why i should be.

LightPhoenix

First Post
It depends on the Cleric, since it depends on if you'll be using powers that primarily key off of Strength or Wisdom.

Personally, I think the best race for Clerics is the Kalashtar, from Eberron. They get a bonus to Wisdom and Charisma. Dual Soul is great for trying to recover a turn from dazed, especially if the entire party got tagged by an attack. Bastion of Mental Clarity isn't great for the Cleric (Will is likely to be high anyway), but it's great for everyone in the group with low Will defenses.

From just the PHB, I'd have to agree on the Dwarf. They have a much better defensive base than the others. Elf is an interesting choice; Elven Accuracy can prevent you from wasting a Healing Strike or similar power. They're highly mobile as well, which is nice for a healer. However, the rest of their stuff isn't as useful. Human works okay, but having the extra at-will isn't as useful as having the extra feat. Dragonborn is an interesting choice for Strength-based Clerics, especially coupled with Recovery Strike (Cha secondary effect) from DP.

[edit]
i'd be playing a devouted/shielding cleric, although i'm not sure if battle cleric would be the best choice (prefernce aside).

Honestly, from my experience watching my friend play his Cleric, it won't matter terribly. They seem to pretty fairly decent in combat regardless of the type of Cleric played. My friend was a healing Cleric, and he still dished out damage.

Last edited:

Akaiku

First Post
Longtooth shifter is a +2 str +2 wis, great if you want to split the stat v. Plus, regeneration whilst bloodied is rather useful.

Thanee

First Post
That also depends on whether you want to go melee or ranged.

Dwarf is certainly a good race for pretty much anything, as their racial traits are just extremely good.

Human is always a solid choice, but most useful, if you really want three of the At-Wills, which I just don't see for a Cleric (maybe to get Righteous Brand, Sacred Flame, and Astral Seal).

Elf is a great choice for a ranged Cleric (my favorite combination, really). The DEX bonus is useful to keep the attribute in the range you need for Armor Specialization later (11th+). Elven Accuracy is amongst the most useful racial powers around. Extra movement is always good. Bonuses to Perception (especially coupled with a high WIS) are also very nice (I also like to take the Ranger Multiclass to gain Perception as a trained skill).

Longtooth Shifters are an extremely good match for melee Clerics with STR/WIS bonuses and an amazing racial power (esp. once you get to Life Transference ;)).

Bye
Thanee

Shin Okada

Explorer
As already pointed out, it depends on how you build your cleric.

Strength Cleric, Wisdom Cleric, & Str + Wis Cleric are all viable choices.

At this moment, if you want to use both Strength and Wisdom powers, Longtooth Shifter is the best choice.

For Strength Cleric, I go for Human as you can live just with Strength. Extra at-will power may not be that much useful. But extra skill and feat (usually spent on Action Surge) are useful. Though, most other Str +2 races are good, too.

For Wisdom Cleric, my favorite choice is Elf. Elven Accuracy helps much when you need to hit opponent at critical moment. As a leader, it often happens that you must hit the foe to give beneficial effects on your comrades in critical timing. And, being fast is always good. Another square of movement may catch an opponent in the range of your power.

DracoSuave

First Post
Devas also make -excellent- laser clerics. The extra defense against bloodied foes, combined with the Elven Accuracy-like racial, and the resistances combine into a very sweet package.

For a strength based cleric, you can't go wrong with Goliaths or Warforged.

For my money tho, Dwarves have so much upside it's not even funny. Grab a Crusader's Hammer/Avenger's Hammer, and DWT your way into success.

Neuroglyph

First Post
I always find it a little sad that so many are obsessed with finding the "best" race for a particular class.

I agree with many others here that the "best" race is almost certainly a dwarf due to the statitic bonuses and the racial abilities.

But remember that D&D is a role-playing game, and with that said, any race can be the "best" race if you look beyond mere stats and abilities. Play a race because it interests you, or because you can imagine a great story behind why a more unlikely race has become a cleric, and then you'll have something memorable. Don't get so wrapped up in game mechanics that you ignore the possibility that a race/class combination can be more fun to play than the expected one.

Reidentski

First Post
For what its worth Neuroglyph, i firmly agree with u about playing the game and enjoying it and having a story and all. and when my group and i get to a point where we're all comfortable with the game thats what i'd like to do. personally i've always loved the Half elf aspect. but for now i'd like to just go w/ the standard best and when all of us get our feet wet, i won't care as much.

But your words are extremely true =) three cheers imo.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases