[E&E] - Goblin's Lair - character creation thread (recruitment closed)

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Recruitment is presently closed for the Goblin's Lair campaign, a trilogy of old-school adventure modules which run from 1st to 5th level.

This campaign will use the Labyrinth Lord (i.e. Basic/Expert) game rules and the Engines & Empires campaign setting.

Download the core rules here >> Labyrinth Lord (zipped PDF file, 5.7 MB)
Download the campaign setting here >> Engines & Empires (PDF file, 8.4 MB)

Character Creation

The first chapter of the E&E campaign guide outlines character creation for the setting in detail. Here's a quick step-by-step rundown:

(1) Once you offer to join the game, I will post three separate sets of pre-rolled ability scores on this thread. Select the set of scores that you like best and then choose from one of the fifteen character classes available in the E&E setting (fighter, mage, scholar, expert, boxer, tech, elf, dwarf, gnome, halfling, fay, centuar, faun, merrow, or sylph).

(2) Choose either Lawful or Neutral for your alignment. This particular campaign will run smoother without Chaotics, so I'm disallowing them.

(3) Allocate your trained skills. In the E&E setting, there are twelve skills to choose from (Athletics, Civics, Craft, Diplomacy, Entertain, Knowledge, Medicine, Outdoors, Perception, Pilot, Stealth, and Trade). Most characters begin the game with (3 + Int mod) trained skills. Expert, halfling, and faun characters receive three bonus skill slots, so they begin with (6 + Int mod) trained skills.

(4) If you are playing a tech or a gnome, you must decide whether your character will begin the game specialized in biology/medicine, chemistry/metallurgy, or physics/mechanics.

(5) To keep character creation as simple as possible, every character will start with a standard equipment package appropriate to their class. Any desired changes to equipment can be handled in-game.

A Note Regarding Combat

Pretty much every play-by-post game that I have ever participated in has fallen apart in short order, due to the tedium of running combat encounters by post. To avoid this, I will not be adjudicating battles from round to round. Instead, I will ask that when a fight breaks out, players describe their characters' intentions and tactics in the broadest terms possible. I will then run the combat myself, controlling both the PCs and the monsters/NPCs. If a combat lasts for more than six rounds, I will pause at that point to ask players if they wish to update their tactics for the next six rounds of combat.

In running the game this way, I will assume that every player characters' primary goal in combat is to survive the encounter. To that end, I will always give the PCs the benefit of the doubt. Likewise, I won't expend any characters' spells or items unless the player says to do so when the fight breaks out. Your declaration of tactics could be as simple as, "I run at the orcs and engage in melee until they're all dead or we have to run away"; or it could be as complex as, "I try to shoot my crossbow for the first two rounds, and then if any monsters are still left standing, I let loose my magic missile spell. If any character falls under half HP, I go ahead use my potion of healing on them." But I'll always assume that your characters aren't taking any foolish risks, and that they'll put safety first. Unless you say otherwise, of course, e.g. "I defend this doorway to cover my allies' retreat, at all costs!"

A Final Word

Too often, I have tried to run PBP games, only to have players drop off the face of the earth with nary a goodbye. So, I must ask, if you join the game and then decide to leave it, please, PLEASE post something to say so! I promise to extend the same courtesy, should I ever have to cancel the campaign for some reason.

This game will begin as soon as four players have finished creating their characters, but I can handle as many as six PCs, should there be so many requests to join. In any case, recruitment will end on 1st November.

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
Jack,
This sounds like a lot of fun, so count me in. I am all behind the character creation and combat stuff.
I have been reading over the files you provided and had a few questions. Which sets of rules will we be using? The LL fighter or E&E fighter? Since we have to use say the tech from the E&E book.

And since we are using the E&E setting, this is a Steampunk/Victorian Romance setting?

Jack Daniel

Jack,
This sounds like a lot of fun, so count me in. I am all behind the character creation and combat stuff.
I have been reading over the files you provided and had a few questions. Which sets of rules will we be using? The LL fighter or E&E fighter? Since we have to use say the tech from the E&E book.

And since we are using the E&E setting, this is a Steampunk/Victorian Romance setting?

Yes, this game will be set in the E&E world, which means full-blown Victorian retro-punk. The setting-specific E&E material trumps any similar LL rules, especially the character classes. So, here are your options for stats:

(1) Str 14 - Dex 8 - Vit 9 - Int 13 - Wis 10 - Cha 13
(2) Str 10 - Dex 17 - Vit 12 - Int 13 - Wis 16 - Cha 13
(3) Str 16 - Dex 15 - Vit 13 - Int 8 - Wis 15 - Cha 11

I'd like to play too if that's okay :)

Okey-dokey. Here're some stats to choose from:

(1) Str 14 - Dex 14 - Vit 14 - Int 13 - Wis 14 - Cha 10
(2) Str 13 - Dex 7 - Vit 11 - Int 10 - Wis 11 - Cha 14
(3) Str 13 - Dex 13 - Vit 12 - Int 9 - Wis 12 - Cha 15

Jack Daniel

Excellent. Here are your stat coices:

(1) Str 15 - Dex 15 - Vit 10 - Int 17 - Wis 5 - Cha 12
(2) Str 12 - Dex 13 - Vit 16 - Int 12 - Wis 10 - Cha 15
(3) Str 10 - Dex 13 - Vit 9 - Int 15 - Wis 14 - Cha 11

Three players down; one to go, and the game can start!

Frozen Messiah

First Post
And your stat options are (drumroll):

(1) Str 12 - Dex 9 - Vit 10 - Int 14 - Wis 11 - Cha 13
(2) Str 17 - Dex 15 - Vit 12 - Int 14 - Wis 7 - Cha 10
(3) Str 12 - Dex 17 - Vit 13 - Int 6 - Wis 10 - Cha 12

Why thankee kind sir. a question are we allowed to multiclass because I didn't read anything about that?

So what is everybody planing on playing, I'm on the fence about either Expert or Tech

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I'm considering the Fey or the Elf but I still need to read about the classes again. Trying to think up a backstory to fit whatever character I want to play :)

Remove ads