Baradur's End - Part III

covaithe

Explorer
Karis scowls. "I told you we should have just bypassed this fleabag town. Nothing but gullible yokels here, not one with the wits to question what powers his orders came from. But no, you guys were all, 'if we don't stop him now, it will take an army to stop Baradur's abominations, and this town will be crushed like a bug.' See what we get for trying to help?"

nerdytenor

First Post
Joshua quickly provides an outline for Jack and Bavak of what they have endured over the past few weeks - the mysterious disappearances in greensfen, the stones, the connection with Baradur, Elloen's disappearance, until it becomes clear that the four of them are most definitely on the side of the lizardfolk against Baradur's forces.

(OOC: I'm not going to roll a player vs. player skill challenge where the Jack and Bavak need to be convinced of the other half of the party's sincerity, since that is a foregone conclusion ;))

Though Jack and Bavak seem convinced, the lizardfolk with them do not. And there is the presence of oh, three dozen or so enemies to contend with...

Skill Challenge One

Convince the lizardfolk that the four 'newcomers' are on their side. Required: 6 successes before 3 failures. DCs are secret :devil::devil::devil:

Walking Dad

First Post
Bavak

Bavak addresses the other group: "What have you say to this?"

[sblock=OOC]
Bavak watches the other group for a reaction (trying to justify an Insight check)

[sblock=Mini stat block]
Bavak
Perception: 25 Insight: 20 Normal Vision
AC 18 Fortitude 16 Reflex 16 Will 18
Hit Points: 39/46 Bloodied: 23
Temporary Hit Points: 0
Resist: necrotic 7, radiant 7
Action Points: 1 Second Wind: 1
Healing Surge: 11 Surges per day: 9/9
At-Will Powers: Call Spirit Companion, Spirit’s Fangs, Stalker’s Strike, Haunting Spirits
Encounter Powers: Healing Spirit 2/2, Speak with Spirits, Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes, Hand of Radiance, Twin Panthers, Call to the Savage Elder
Daily Powers: Cleansing Wind of the North, Spirits of Battle
[/sblock][/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Jack looks to the others, himself satisfied with their words, trusting in his own abilities to read people and will go to the lizardfolk.

"These men are not your enemies, they work with you against Baradur. They are wrongly accused and if they are allowed to be taken, it will be far worse for your people and the spreading of the blight. We can't let them take them, I know I will fight to the end, if need be, to keep them safe" the cleric signals passionately, his words determined and face hard, allowing little room for middle ground.

[sblock=ooc]
Passive Insight is 21, trusting it to pick up most lies.

Try Diplomacy on lizards - diplomacy (1d20 10=25) go Jack[/sblock]

Arbanax

First Post
Rellek felt unsure of himself, his quiet manner was unused to diplomacy his words came to few his thoughts to slow. He instead decided to help the others where he could support their words with his own if appropriate.

[sblock]
Rellek's skills in this department are useless, so can I just use aid another to give Karis or the others the bonus, I don't want my lack of ability to cause a skill check failure?

If on the other hand I'm not left out of the mix then I will try to use my History (5) to thinking up anything that might help, as well as my peception if I can spot any clues as to how we can be taken seriously and not thought off as enemies.

If you need rolls then:

History check (big fat) 8 ;(
Perception 17

[/sblock]

Ab

covaithe

Explorer
"I'm taking down Baradur," Karis snarls. Her voice drops to a hiss of menace as she continues. "And anyone who stands in my way. Anyone. Got me?"

ooc: intimidate 24.

The Digger

First Post
Joshua tried manfully to hold in his anger before turning to the lizardfolk

"Oh how the enemies of Law and order must be laughing now. How many times in the past have they managed to cause unpleasantness, friction and enmity between those who would oppose them."

He spread his arms expansively "Think back, friends, to the time of the Chaos wars. To a time when years of war, between those who should have stood together, allowed Evil to flourish. When differences in race, creed or even colour came between potential allies."

"This may not be such a major event but from minor strife can great turmoil grow. We are not your enemies but your friends in adversity."

[sblock=OOC]History 20: Roll Lookup [/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
Kraegyn thought for a few moments before he added his voice to the conversation. Negotiating was not exactly part of his training as a paladin of Kord- he was trained to lead by action, and by strength of arms...

He hissed softly, clearing his throat. "I know not of what you know of the gods," he spoke, mostly to the lizardfolk. "But I serve Kord, the lord of strength and storms and battle, as one of his paladins, blessed with his divine strength. I would not lie, even to save my own life, for in that would be weakness of faith and of character. What these folk have told you is true. And in the service of the gods, the fell master that these so-called men, who are really little more than dogs, follow... Well, he must be faced, he must be fought, he must be vanquished."

OOC: Religion at +6= 20; roll Roll Lookup

nerdytenor

First Post
Skill Challenge Round 2

Bavak and Jack - your insight rolls/scores were good enough so that if any of the other four are lying in this skill challenge, you will know it.

Jack said:
"These men are not your enemies, they work with you against Baradur. They are wrongly accused and if they are allowed to be taken, it will be far worse for your people and the spreading of the blight. We can't let them take them, I know I will fight to the end, if need be, to keep them safe" the cleric signals passionately, his words determined and face hard, allowing little room for middle ground.

The lizardmen do not respond, but appear to heed Jack's words (SUCCESS)

It doesn't take long for the newcomers to realize that the lizardfolk do not speak any language - fortunately, the human and deva with them do, and appear to have mastered their visual form of communication. (I will assume Jack and Bavak are providing faithful two-way translation services unless I hear otherwise)

Rellek said:
Rellek felt unsure of himself, his quiet manner was unused to diplomacy his words came to few his thoughts to slow. He instead decided to help the others where he could support their words with his own if appropriate.

Rellek wisely remains silent, as he doesn't appear to have anything useful to offer in the way of words (aid another roll failed, but that does not count against the skill challenge).

Karis said:
"I'm taking down Baradur," Karis snarls. Her voice drops to a hiss of menace as she continues. "And anyone who stands in my way. Anyone. Got me?"

The lizardfolk are hard to read, and it appears they are immune from intimidation. However, a few subtle nods here and twitches there indicate that they are impressed by the force of Karis's convictions (SUCCESS)

Joshua said:
Joshua tried manfully to hold in his anger before turning to the lizardfolk

"Oh how the enemies of Law and order must be laughing now. How many times in the past have they managed to cause unpleasantness, friction and enmity between those who would oppose them."

He spread his arms expansively "Think back, friends, to the time of the Chaos wars. To a time when years of war, between those who should have stood together, allowed Evil to flourish. When differences in race, creed or even colour came between potential allies."

"This may not be such a major event but from minor strife can great turmoil grow. We are not your enemies but your friends in adversity."

The lizardfolk sit and absorb Joshua's appeal, nodding to each other (SUCCESS)

Kraegyn said:
Kraegyn thought for a few moments before he added his voice to the conversation. Negotiating was not exactly part of his training as a paladin of Kord- he was trained to lead by action, and by strength of arms...

He hissed softly, clearing his throat. "I know not of what you know of the gods," he spoke, mostly to the lizardfolk. "But I serve Kord, the lord of strength and storms and battle, as one of his paladins, blessed with his divine strength. I would not lie, even to save my own life, for in that would be weakness of faith and of character. What these folk have told you is true. And in the service of the gods, the fell master that these so-called men, who are really little more than dogs, follow... Well, he must be faced, he must be fought, he must be vanquished."

We worship no gods, the lizardmen say by way of translation. We worship nature herself. Yet it does not matter - we too seek the destruction of this dark cult that stains the land. (SUCCESS)

We do not relish war with these humans, however. They are confused, and most of them do not understand the darkness to which they have become a party. Tell us, though, what crime have they accused you of? What have you done, really?

Convince the LizardFolk - ROUND ONE COMPLETE
4/6 Successes, 0/3 failures. Dang. Keep this up and I'll have to make the next one DC 30 :devil::devil::devil:

Remove ads