Don't Forget Your Roots.

Hussar

Legend
Ok, nothing to do with genetics. :)

An observation that has come to me in recent days. When discussing various elements of gaming, frequently conversations get bogged down in dueling anecdotes. I know I get caught up in it - "I played this way, therefore this way must be common" is a pretty ... well... common refrain.

The thing to remember is, when you are discussing things, it might be worth the effort to step back and examine WHY the differences exist. Back a while ago, when there was a bit of a kerfuffle over the idea that 3e encounters were based on 1 or 2 baddies, a number of people stepped up and said that they frequently used large groups of baddies in encounters.

This went back and forth for quite a while until someone asked, "What KIND of monsters were you using?" It turned out that frequently (although not always) these large groups of monsters were classed humanoids. Suddenly, it made a lot more sense. Classed humanoids are considerably weaker for their CR and you can get away with using large groups of them where using large groups of monsters would stomp on the party.

Again, it wasn't always, but, it did give a new line of discussion. A way past the impasse of dueling anecdotes.

Oni

First Post
I think most discussions benefit from the interested parties making a genuine attempt to understand the topic from more than just their own point of view. When you take the time to understand where someone is coming from, to view their arguments in the most favorable light, you'll often wind up coming to a more nuanced understanding than if you attempt to paint opposing views in the worst possible way or willfully misunderstand or represent them in an attempt to "win". It's easy to forget just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean the point of view is lacking in validity. It's also easy to forget that sometimes our own experiences may be limited or unique and our approach may not, in fact, be the best or only one. If we're willing to spend so much time looking for flaws in others ideas, we should be willing to spend at least a like amount of time looking for the flaws in our own.

Of course all that's easy to say, I know I've ignored my own advice on plenty of occasions.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
"frequently conversations get bogged down in dueling anecdotes"

Welcome to the internet.
Hehehe. QFT.

I really think the basic truth underlying the OP has less to do with gaming, and more to do with the realities of social interaction via the internet. Unfortunately, some people just aren't very adept at it, getting too easily offended or simply misunderstanding each other's perspective.

THats just life on teh interw3bs LOL!!1!11! :)

Remove ads