I've come to a conclusion

Howdy Belzamus mate! :)

Belzamus said:
As for your DR question, I really don't know. I think U_K overprices DR, personally.

I think there are unseen mathematical issues at work when things like Power Attack multipliers and Virtual Size Categories are brought to the game in large quantities. Balance simply isn't possible beyond a certain point in 3E.

Perhaps Damage Reduction is overvalued and under-supported, but real balance at the levels of power you are talking about is something of a fool's errand. There are just too many variables.

Still, perhaps some sort of DR multiplier can help you. Maybe DR x10 (Divine), DR x100 (Cosmic), DR x10,000 (Trans)...all non-stacking of course...?

Belzamus

First Post
Actually, what I've always would have liked to see would have been abilites at those tiers for entities who SHOULD have uber-high DR, so it isn't across the board, though I think as a rule, it could be slightly higher at the higher levels.

Of course, let's not forget, at Transcendantal we start getting really cool Damage Reductions like Natural and Enchanted, not to mention Thelemic before those at cosmic.

Belzamus said:
Actually, what I've always would have liked to see would have been abilites at those tiers for entities who SHOULD have uber-high DR, so it isn't across the board, though I think as a rule, it could be slightly higher at the higher levels.

Of course, let's not forget, at Transcendantal we start getting really cool Damage Reductions like Natural and Enchanted, not to mention Thelemic before those at cosmic.

What might work is a Damage Reduction thats not all encompassing one way or the other. For instance, DR Half (Divine), DR One Tenth (Cosmic), DR One Percent (Trans).

Or maybe even some sort of Force Field variant.

Belzamus

First Post
Oooh, I like that.

1% sounds overpowered at first, but it's well in line with Natural or Enchanted, I think. Those are actually stronger in a lot of cases. (Though gods (ha!) help the Sidereal with Enchanted DR who ends up on the wrong end of Xanatorixithis' (the Void Dragon Elder One I mentioned) claws. :devil:)

Actually, to use that as a comparitive example,

his Claw does 1,200d10 +684 +1,200d10 Entropic Cold, maximized for 24,684 damage.

With Enchanted DR, he would only deal 65

With Trans. DR, he would deal 1%, 246

Or half those if Entropic Cold wouldn't apply

With Natural DR...full damage! Haha! :D

I also like 50% reduction as a Divine because several creatures in the ELH have a similar ability, from what I remember. (Hunefer, Elder Treant, Prismasaurus, I think.)

Remove ads