New DM seeks interest in PFRPG PBP - Crypt of the Everflame

Broad Arrow Jack

First Post
Hi folks,

Is anyone here interested in giving a newcomer a shot as a DM? My circumstances are such that I don't have a face-to-face game available to me at present, due to family life and variable work schedule. I've been nosing around the web, looking for a place to take a shot at running a PBP game using Pathfinder rules. Having lurked here for a month or so, it seems that the folks here have a certain maturity and sense of strong community which many PBP boards lack. So, I've decided to give it a try.

I'd like to run the Paizo module Crypt of the Everflame, which is an introductory adventure for 1st level characters. I'm sure there will be questions about character creation rules and so forth, but for now, I'm just trying to see if there are some interested players who might like to give me a shot. As for my pedigree, I'm 36, married with two kids, and work in management. I've been playing and DMing Dungeons and Dragons (as well as many other PnP RPGs) for a whole lotta years now. I like role-playing interesting characters just as much as I like rolling dice and slaying monsters. Mostly though, I like the fun of gathering with friends for a game, and my hope is that maybe a group of us here could recreate a bit of that camaraderie, even if it is just through the computer screen.

If you want to know more about Crypt of the Everflame, here is the copy from the back of the module:

[sblock]
The young heroes of the town of Kassen are ready for their coming-of-age ceremony, an old tradition in which they retrieve a piece of the eternal flame burning in the tomb of the town’s founder. Yet when they arrive there, they find only the corpses of their fellow townsfolk, dead bandits, and mysterious animated skeletons. The novice heroes must brave the traps and perils of the Crypt of the Everflame, discover the source of the corruption that has awakened an ancient evil, and defeat a menace that seeks vengeance against Kassen and its people.[/sblock]
Hopefully we can get four or five players interested in giving this a shot. I look forward to hearing from some of you. Thanks!

Fenris

Adventurer
Welcome to the ENWorld BAJ. ENW is indeed a great place to run a game and you will find lots of great players here.

This sounds like fun so count me in.

Broad Arrow Jack

First Post
Welcome to the ENWorld BAJ. ENW is indeed a great place to run a game and you will find lots of great players here.

This sounds like fun so count me in.

Excellent, welcome Fenris! I'd be happy to discuss ideas for character race/class, if you have any yet.

Spread the word! Tell your friends!

Fenris

Adventurer
Excellent, welcome Fenris! I'd be happy to discuss ideas for character race/class, if you have any yet.

Spread the word! Tell your friends!

Oh, give it about an hour and the game will be bustling with players. ;)

Reserve one for a friend if you would and I will check with them.

As for races/classes, I would like to know how you would like to start the characters. Usually for PbP, point buy works well, but other DMs do have players roll using a dice roller like Invisible Castle. your call there. But a lot of players will want to know that first as they think up characters.

Broad Arrow Jack

First Post
Oh, give it about an hour and the game will be bustling with players. ;)

Reserve one for a friend if you would and I will check with them.

As for races/classes, I would like to know how you would like to start the characters. Usually for PbP, point buy works well, but other DMs do have players roll using a dice roller like Invisible Castle. your call there. But a lot of players will want to know that first as they think up characters.
Fair enough! I definitely will want to use a point buy system for ability scores. I think the exact number of points may depend on how many players we end up with. If it's four, I'll probably allow a 20 point build. If five, I'll likely draw the line at 15.

Rhun

First Post
I've got a 1st level human barbarian that I built for another PF game that seemed to end up dead already...I'd love to give him a new home.

I might have to change his stats based on what point buy you use, but here is ANUNDR VALKRSSON

And welcome to the forums, BJA!

ethandrew

First Post
My curiosity is piqued by Pathfinder. I honestly know nothing about it, I think I've had my head in the ground for too long. I'm interested in knowing the system and if you'd take a flier on someone like me whilst doing a little hand-holding, then count me in.

Broad Arrow Jack

First Post
Wow, it's great to see so much interest so quickly! Fenris, you were right! :)

So tell me, oh veterans of the boards, is it customary to accept the first 'X' number of players on a first-come, first-served basis? Is it bad form to wait for a larger pool of interested persons, and choose players based on completeness and quality of character sheets, writing skills, or party balance? I want to follow established convention as much as possible.

If we go with first-come first-served, we have five already (Fenris, rangerjohn, Rhun, ethandrew, and Queenie), which is my limit for a first go-round, I think.

BTW, Rhun I like Anundr quite a bit, good character there!

And ethandrew, it's okay if you're unfamiliar with PFRPG rules, because it's pretty new to me too. I keep finding myself slipping back into certain old habits from 3.5, so we'll all just have to be patient with one another.

Advice on player selection is welcome.

EDIT: Oh, and I really appreciate being so warmly welcomed too! I'm glad I decided to try this here. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases