Recruiting! In the Service of Cyre [4ed Eberron]

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
I have decided to try my hand at running a 4ed PbP.

The Premise: The War of Usurpers has been raging on for years. In Cyre, her majesty the Queen employs every tool she can lay hands on to defend her realm and reclaim the Throne of Galifar to which she has the rightful claim: the Warforged of House Cannith, various Magebred creations from House Vadalis, the church of the Sovereign Host, mercenaries from abroad, and the heroes of her own country. One of the youngest of these heroes is her own son, Prince Oargev. He leads a brave band of adventurers loyal to him and to Cyre, doing what he can to help in the war effort.

You, the PCs, will be playing as Prince Oargev and his sworn companions. The first adventure will start when the Prince is barely 17 years old, sent on important, but supposedly safe, affairs of state.

Note on the Mourning: I am not afraid to change Eberron’s history to tell this story. The PCs all should believe in the success of Cyre, or at least the Prince—even when you, the players, know what approaches for Cyre.

[sblock=The Characters]
4-6 PCs.

This is not an anything goes, hodge-podge Eberron game, but most character ideas should work. I have identified a number of Archetypal Characters I want as my PCs, and list them below, along with how many I am willing to take into a party.

[sblock=Prince Oargev] I need 1 of him.
Race: Human or Half-Elf
Class: Warlord, Bard, Cleric, Paladin, Fighter or Invoker
Religion: Sovereign Host

Hook: You are heir to the throne of Cyre. You lead a band of sworn companions, trusted advisors, and loyal servants on missions of state, aiding your country in the War of Usurpers. Your ultimate goal is to restore the Kingdom of Galifar under its true and rightful monarch: your mother.[/sblock]

[sblock=Cyran Nobility] I will take between 0-4 Cyran Nobles
Race: Human, Half-Elf (most common); Elf, Halfling, Changeling, Gnome, Dwarf, or Half-Orc (less common)
Class: Any Martial, Arcane, Shadow, or Divine class
Religion: Sovereign Host (most common); Dark Six, Blood of Vol, Silver Flame, or Spirits of the Past (less common)

Hook: You are a member of one of Cyre’s noble families, perhaps even a distant relative of the royal family. You have been raised alongside the crown prince, chosen at a young age to be his life-long companion. Your family owns land, employs servants, and has a tradition of service to the crown.[/sblock]

[sblock=Cyran Patriot] I will take between 0-3 Cyran Patriots
Race: Human, Halfling, Half-Elf, Elf, Changeling, Gnome, Dwarf, Half-Orc, or Shifter
Class: Any Martial, Arcane, Divine, or Shadow class
Religion: Sovereign Host (most common); Dark Six, Silver Flame, Spirits of the Past, Blood of Vol (less common)

Hook: You are a citizen of Cyre and have distinguished yourself through exemplary training, skill, and/or service. You have been chosen to serve and advise Crown Prince Oargev, accompanying him on missions of state.[/sblock]

[sblock=Dragonmarked Scion] I will take between 0-2 Dragonmarked Scions
Race: Human, Half-Elf, Halfling, Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Half-Orc (house appropriate)
Class: Any
Religion: Sovereign Host, Dark Six (most common); Silver Flame (less common)

Hook: You are a member of a Dragonmarked house that has been assigned to work with Prince Oargev. Your family is among the economic elite, exercising great power and influence over certain sectors of the war-time economy. Alternately, your high position in life may have put you in position to become a friend and companion to Oargev growing up.[/sblock]

[sblock=Foreign National] I will take between 0-2 Foreign Nationals
Race: Elf, Halfling, Drow, Dragonborn, Human, Tiefling, Hobgoblin, Goblin, Bugbear, Eladrin, Minotaur, Gnoll, or Kalashtar
Class: Any
Religion: Spirits of the Past, Deathless Ancestors, Sovereign Host/Dark Six (Dragon variant, Nature variant), Scorpion King, Silver Flame (Demon Waste variant), atheist, Path of Light

Hook: You are from a foreign culture, working with Cyre either independently or with your government’s sanction. You may be a representative from Aerenal, Valinar, the Talenta Plains, Xen’Drick, Argonessen, the Demon Wastes, the Rhuukan Draal, The Feyspires, Droaam, Adar, Q’barra, or Riedra. Your strange ways bring an interesting point of view to court politics, which has ingratiated you to Prince Oargev.[/sblock]

[sblock=Sovereign Priest] I will take between 0-1 Sovereign Priests
Race: Human, Halfling, Half-Elf, Elf, Changeling, Gnome, Dwarf, Half-Orc, Shifter
Class: Any Divine
Religion: Sovereign Host

Hook: You serve the predominant religion of Cyre, the Sovereign Host. You are either a priest of the entire pantheon or of a single deity, and you have been assigned to Prince Oargev to provide religious and moral guidance.[/sblock]

[sblock=Warforged Servant] I will take between 0-1 Warforged Servants
Race: Warforged
Class: Any Arcane or Martial
Religion: None in particular

Hook: You have been given to Prince Oargev by House Cannith to serve him in some specific capacity. You are an early-model warforged trained in battle and/or arcane practices.[/sblock]

[sblock=Druidic Initiate] I will take between 0-1 Druidic initiates
Race: Human, Half-Orc, Shifter, Elf, Gnome, Half-Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Changeling
Class: Any Primal
Religion: Wardens of the Wood, Gatekeepers, Greensingers (common), Ashbound, Children of Winter (less common)

Hook: You are an initiate in one of the druidic sects of Khorvaire. You have befriended the Cyran crown and work as an advisor on matters of nature and sealed-away ancient evils.[/sblock][/sblock]

Character Submission
Sources: Any WotC 4ed source. No 3rd party sources. Follow your archetype.

1st level; 100 gp. While many characters will technically be richer than this, 100 gp represents what you have carrying around with you.

I need:
1. Which Archetype do you match?
2. 1 paragraph (3-8 sentences) backstory about how you met Prince Oargev and entered his service.
3. 1 paragraph (3-8 sentences) description (both physical and personality).
4. Character Sheet. Please either attach a Builder sheet or use the Summary format from character builder.
5. Magic items (level 2-10) you would be interested in seeing your PC obtain at some point. This locks you into nothing.
6. Which Paragon Path you’d maybe be interested in pursuing if the game makes it that far. This locks you in to nothing.

Selection
You will be competing against other people in your Archetype and other people in your Role. Also, I would like a fairly steady post rate (3-4 times a week maybe?) that picks up a bit in combat. We'll work out details beyond this when a list is posted.

Recruiting is closed.
Final selection will be made sometime Friday.

I want a Prince Oargev and 3-5 interesting companions for him. I want a well-rounded party. I want to provide a fun gaming experience for any and all involved.

Submissions so far:
Leaders
DistractingFlare- Prince Oargev ir'Wynarn, Human Warlord
renau1g- Prince Oargev ir'Wynarn, Half-Elf Bard
pathfinderq1- Maeve, Human Bard

Defenders
Dekana- Kraken, Warforged Fighter
BarrelRider- Trystan d'Lyrandar, Half-Elf Swordmage
pathfinderq1- Revekka d'Deneith, Human Swordmage

Controller
yzard- Thom Trannith, Human Wizard

Strikers
Shayuri- Dev, Changeling Assassin
Walking Dad- Varis d'Lyrandar, Half-Elf Sorcerer
hero4hire- Arisaem Dracunculus, Dragonborn Sorcerer
BarrelRider- Lord Cyrick ir'Garrn, Half-Elf Rogue

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Argh, I have a cool idea for this, but I can't do a full submission yet because I'm at work.

Just to give an idea though: My idea is a changeling assassin, part of a family that has been charged with protecting and serving the royal family of Cyre since times immemorial. I would be a friend and confidant to the Prince, and generally pose as a functionary and/or servant. My first duty is to protect the Prince from dangers he may not see. The second is to give him what aid he should ask for. The third, support him in ways that even he may not know of to ensure his success...for the fate of my family is ever linked to the fate of the royal family, and my duty to one is my duty to both.

Anyway, I know it's not a real submission yet, but I'll have it all up by the numbers asap.

hero4hire

Explorer
1. Which Archetype do you match? Foriegn National
2. 1 paragraph (3-8 sentences) backstory about how you met Prince Oargev and entered his service. Far to the East of Khorvaire, deep in the bowels of Argonnessen there is a place, known to only Dragonkin as The Chamber. There Dragons interpret the Draconic Prophecy and uses it to shape the world to the dragons' liking. It was there they concluded a Man-child would be born of Noble-Blood In Cyre and would play an instrumental part in the Prophecy. But for good or ill was up to debate! They sent one of their servants; a Dragonborne known as Arisaem to watch over the human and to be there when it was time to aid...or hinder his part in Destiny.
Arisaem did his part by saving a Young Prince Oargev from a fire (which may or may not have been started by the Dragonborne himself) while acting as an Ambassador to Cyre. Thereby ingratiating himself with the Royal Family, becoming something of an "Adopted Uncle" to the Princeling ever since.
Arisaem is a tall serpentine figure whose broad shoulders bely his narrow waist. His prostigeous height often has him hunched over to navigate areas built for much shorter races. This however only adds to his menacing appearence. Personality-wise he comes off like a snake-oil salesman, though one extremely good at his job. During his time in Khorvaire he has indulged much in the pleasures the Continent have to offer that are virtually unknown in his Homeland.
[sblock=TO GM]Despite himself and his mission, The time Arisaem has spent with the Prince has made him to grow genuinely fond of the Boy. So much so that he is unsure he would be able to fulfill his mission if it were to come to it.[/sblock]
4. Character Sheet. Please either attach a Builder sheet or use the Summary format from character builder.
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Arisaem Dracunculus, level 1
Dragonborn, Sorcerer
Spell Source: Dragon Magic
Dragon Soul: Dragon Soul Fire
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire
Background: Argonnessen (+2 to Athletics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 14 Fort: 14 Reflex: 11 Will: 16
HP: 23 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Intimidate +11, Diplomacy +9, Bluff +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Dungeoneering -1, Endurance, Heal -1, History +2, Insight -1, Nature -1, Perception -1, Religion, Stealth +1, Streetwise +4, Thievery +1, Athletics +6

FEATS
Level 1: Focused Expertise (Dagger)

POWERS
Sorcerer at-will 1: Burning Spray
Sorcerer at-will 1: Dragonfrost
Sorcerer encounter 1: Tearing Claws
Sorcerer daily 1: Lightning Breath

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Dagger (2), Travel Papers, Identification Papers, with Portrait, Everburning Torch
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
5. Magic items (level 2-10) you would be interested in seeing your PC obtain at some point. Hopefully this list is changeable down the road if I get in.

Lvl 2 Wyrmtooth Dagger +1
Lvl 3 Stoneskin cloth +1
Lvl 4 Cloak of Distortion +1
Lvl 5 Bloodthread cloth +1
Lvl 6 Burning Gauntlets
Lvl 7 Agile Resolve cloth +2
Lvl 8 Paired Weapon Dagger +2
Lvl 9 Backlash Tattoo
Lvl 10 Hat of Disguise

6. Which Paragon Path you’d maybe be interested in pursuing if the game makes it that far. This locks you in to nothing.

Dragonsoul Heir ~OR~ Dragon Guardian

BarrelRider

First Post
Cyran Noble. Callen is the foppish son of Lord Cydrick il'Garrn, a trusted member of the Queen's Council. Lord Cydrick lives in fear of his son ruining the family's status when Prince Orgaev realizes how useless he is.

2. 1 paragraph (3-8 sentences) backstory about how you met Prince Oargev and entered his service.
Callen has known Oargev since the two were youths roaming the halls of the court. While Oargev was trapped by tutors and other princely duties, Callen mastered the art of escape quite early. The prince learned to appreciate Callen's humor and ability to grant him a few stolen moments of peace amidst the busy schedule of royalty.
It was through these efforts that Oargev came to see Callen's true potential, and the two cultivated his wastrel image and their odd friendship.

Callen is a scrawny, clumsy half-elf. His tawny hair is constantly escaping any attempt to keep it styled, and his brown eyes are usually glazed over with disinterest. At least that's how he appears to those who don't know him.
Underneath the callow fool's visage is the mind of a true inquisitive. He is constantly assessing and observing those around him with a keen eye. Once he knows he is no longer being observed, he is ready to do anything in the name of the crown.

[sblock=CS]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Callen, level 1
Half-Elf, Rogue
Build: Trickster Rogue
Rogue Tactics: Artful Dodger
Background: Society - Noble (+2 to Insight)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 14.

AC: 14 Fort: 11 Reflex: 16 Will: 13
HP: 24 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +9, Thievery +9, Perception +5, Acrobatics +9, Insight +9, Bluff +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering, Endurance +1, Heal, History, Intimidate +3, Nature, Religion, Streetwise +3, Athletics -1

FEATS
Level 1: Melee Training (Dexterity)

POWERS
Dilettante: Twin Strike
Rogue at-will 1: Clever Strike
Rogue at-will 1: Sly Flourish
Rogue encounter 1: Fox's Gambit
Rogue daily 1: Confounding Attack

ITEMS
Short sword, Dagger (4), Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Traveling papers, Inquisitive's Kit, Identification Papers, with Portrait
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
[/sblock]
5. Magic items (level 2-10) you would be interested in seeing your PC obtain at some point.
Level 2: Quicksilver +1 Shortsword
Level 3: Skald's +1 Leather Armor
Level 4: Cloak of Distortion +1
Level 5: Surefoot Boots
Level 6: Distance +2 Dagger
Level 7: Feinting Gloves
Level 8: Graceful +2 Rapier
Level 9: Mirror Sheen +2 Leather Armor
Level 10: Hat of Disguise

Master Spy

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Interested, will fill the gaps later. A half-elf storm sorcerer, scion of house lyrandra (the storm one, don't have access to my books right now).

Interested, will fill the gaps later. A half-elf storm sorcerer, scion of house lyrandra (the storm one, don't have access to my books right now).

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
level 1
Half-Elf, Sorcerer
Spell Source: Storm Magic

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 16.

AC: 13 Fort: 12 Reflex: 13 Will: 16
HP: 26 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +11, Perception +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Dungeoneering, Endurance +2, Heal, History, Insight +2, Intimidate +4, Nature, Religion, Stealth +3, Streetwise +4, Thievery +3, Athletics

FEATS
Level 1: Mark of Storm
POWERS
Sorcerer at-will 1: Burning Spray
Sorcerer at-will 1: Lightning Strike
Sorcerer encounter 1: Thundering Roar
Sorcerer daily 1: Howling Tempest
Half-Elf: Vicious Mockery

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Dagger (2), Crossbow, Crossbow Bolts (20), Pouch, Belt (empty), Everburning Torch
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

Last edited:

Willette

First Post
Hey, I'd like to run a druidic initiate if i could maybe gnome or half elf or something. don't have access to full computer use right now though but will post on monday if thats not too late.

1. Archetype: Prince Oargev

2. Backstory of meeting the group: My mother always wanted the best for me, and throughout my childhood I led a charmed life, but when my father fell in battle 10 years ago, my world was changed. I've spent every moment in the Grand Library studying the tactics of the enemies that brought him down, and every dream I have is a tale of my vengeance. I will make Cyre the one true superpower, and when my time comes, I will rule it wisely. This is my destiny. Until then, I will train with the companions I have been assigned, and through diplomacy (or if necessary, force of arms), I will teach the nations of Khorvaire to love, respect, and fear the might of Prince Oargev of Cyre.

3. Character description: Only 17 years old, Prince Oargev is a slightly built young man with fair skin. His stature is small, and upon first meeting him, many dismiss the young prince as a weakling or a dullard. However, the prince is indeed an extremely driven boy. Since childhood, he has trained in the ways of the sword and the art of battle. He is driven to deliver the world unto the kingdom of Cyre, and Oargev indeed believes that it is his destiny to usher Cyre into a golden age of prosperity.

4. Character sheet: Although I don't have the builder, I believe this is the proper format.

Prince Oargev of Cyre, level 1
Human Warlord
Commanding Presence: Tactical Presence
Background: Ancestral Holdings (+2 to History)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 17 (13 + 3 hide + 1 light shield) Fort: 16 Reflex: 15 Will: 13
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +9, History +11, Diplomacy +5, Intimidate +5, Heal +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Arcana +3, Bluff +0, Dungeoneering +0, Endurance +0, Insight +0, Nature +0, Perception +0, Religion +3, Stealth -1, Streetwise +0, Thievery -1

FEATS
Human: Weapon Expertise: Heavy Blades
Level 1: Saving Inspiration

POWERS
Warlord encounter: Inspiring Word
Warlod at-will (human): Viper's Strike
Warlord at-will 1: Wolf Pack Tactics
Warlord at-will 1: Commander's Strike
Warlord encounter 1: Warlord's Favor
Warlord daily 1: Lead The Attack

ITEMS
Longsword, light shield, hide armor, ID papers w/ portrait, travelling papers, standard adventurer's kit

5. Magic Items:
Lvl 2 Pinning Longsword +1
Lvl 3 Armor of Cleansing - Hide +1
Lvl 4 Deathstalker Longsword +1
Lvl 5 Girdle of The Oxen
Lvl 6 Venom Gloves
Lvl 7 Rushing Cleats
Lvl 8 Flanking Longsword +2
Lvl 9 Armor of Durability - Hide +2
Lvl 10 Cape of The Mountebank +2

6. Paragon Path:
Dujun of Erathis (if I am allowed to reflavor it to a Warrior/Diplomat instead of an acolyte of Erathis), or Adroit Explorer

edit: adjusted ability scores slightly, changed a feat, added magic items, and noticed a discrepancy in my AC.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Here's what I got so far:

Cyran Patriot, as this family is not of noble blood, despite its long association with the royal family.

Dev is the most recent scion of the Ayers family; a little-known bloodline of changelings that has served the royal family of Cyre since the days of the first king of Galifar. In that time a small enclave of changelings was discovered by overly suspicious and zealous humans. Most scattered or were slain, but the tenacity of pursuit forced one couple to beg audience with the Cyran king. In return for his shelter, they and theirs would serve his court. Dev has been all but a constant presence in the life of the prince, though he didn't always realize it. Manservant, maid, spy and bodyguard...and oftentimes friend as well.

As a changeling, Dev's physical description changes to suit the situation. Dev does keep a 'stable' of forms on hand though that represent various servants of the prince. From the overly stiff and formal Reginald the butler, to the buxom and vapid Clarisse, the maid, Dev makes sure there's a face to explain his presence in any situation. As for his own personality, Dev is quiet, efficient, and often rather brutally pragmatic...though he's careful to adapt to those who's presence he is in so as not to be too noticeable. He is deferential to the prince, but sometimes can be loose in his interpretation of the princes words. It can be subtle, but Dev also has a wry, sometimes cutting sense of humor.

[sblock=Dev]====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Dev, level 1
Changeling, Assassin
Guild Training: Night Stalker

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 14, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 14.

AC: 16 Fort: 13 Reflex: 14 Will: 15
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +9, Insight +8, Acrobatics +9, Perception +6, Bluff +10, Thievery +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +2, Heal +1, History, Intimidate +3, Nature +1, Religion, Streetwise +3, Athletics -1

FEATS
Level 1: Sneak of Shadows

POWERS
Assassin at-will 1: Shadow Storm
Assassin at-will 1: Inescapable Blade
Assassin encounter 1: Nightmare Shades
Assassin daily 1: Targeted for Death

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Short sword, Identification Papers, Standard (4), Thieves' Tools
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======[/sblock]

5. Magic items (level 2-10) you would be interested in seeing your PC obtain at some point.

2 Amulet of Physical Resolve +1
3 Sylvan leather +1
4 Hedge Wizard's Gloves
5 Bag of Holding
6 Iron Armbands of Power
7 Elven Cloak +2 or Deep Pocket Cloak +2
8 Rat Form Armor +2
9 Boots of Striding
10 Shadowdancer's Mask

* Note - The Imposter armor feature apparently isn't available on leather armor, though if it was I'd definitely want it. As it is, maybe we could work out a magic item that works a bit like Imposter armor, or a limited Hat of Disguise, that would allow very rapid changes in 'costume' to match the form currently being taken.

Obsidian Stalker

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases