Suggestion for 3.5/Pathfinder Campaign?

kbowen0188

Explorer
I am running my players through the Sunless Citadel Module, with a few edits made. It is a Greyhawk setting, and all of them are seeking to join the Knights of the Watch. Making up some of my own little info about the Knights of the Watch, they are currently on a "pilgrammage", quite like most knights in olden times had to do. They were simply wandering at first, although with a small purpose. One of the prophets that is in the Knights of the Watch is doing a small favor for his hometown, bringing them some special-crazy magical fireworks. This town is the town in the Red Hand of Doom, where I want the adventures to lead up to.

On the way, they stopped to rest at the town in the Sunless Citadel module. The prophet meant to stop there anyway, as two knights had been dispatched there a month ago in order to solve a goblin problem that the town was having, however, any one who has played the module knows that this is not the case. I simply switched the two adventurers in the module for two knights.

Any suggestions for modules I could use to continue the adventure after this, to get them up in level for the Red Hand of Doom?

I had a few ideas, from the prophet having a vision about the Forge of Fury, or perhaps the Forge of Fury being some kind of initiate test for the fledgling Knights...

But that doesn't make too much sense, although I have heard good things about the Forge. I also thought about Meepo, an NPC in the Sunless Citadel (the PCs are going to try and bring him along as a companion), having a small vision about the "Kobold King" module, with the missing children, from Paizo.

Any other suggestions, or comments?

I am a bit of a new DM, and they are all new players, that is why I prefer modules atm, although I don't mind editing them to fit my needs.

kbowen0188

Explorer
Currently level 1, with 1500 XP apiece. I plan on leveling them to 2 before they get ot the second level of the Sunless Citadel, and perhaps from there, going on to 3. So, by the time the Sunless Citadel is over, they will be either 2, or 3. They need to get to five.

Aus_Snow

First Post
There are quite a few Dungeon Crawl Classics, from Goodman Games, that are designed for an appropriate starting level.

If you want a rather different flavour, Atlas Games published a series of three books: En Route I, II and III. Each is basically a bunch of encounters, some of which would be of the right kinds of EL.

There's Paizo, of course, but it seems you already know about them.

The Wizards of the Coast free adventure archive (here) might give you something worth throwing in there somewhere along the line.

And, for the sake of randomness, but also because this is good stuff: Garnfellow's conversions of a few classic White Dwarf adventures - The Lichway (for 2nd level PCs), The Halls of Tizun Thane (3rd), and The Search for the Temple of the Golden Spire (3rd). As it says there, you might want to have a copy of the Tome of Horrors, from Necromancer Games, handy. This is a good idea in general anyway, IMO.

Oh, and there's always back issues of Dungeon magazine (e.g., from the Paizo website.)

Last edited:

Freakohollik

First Post
I can think of two good 3e adventures that fit that level.

Forge of Fury is a solid dungeon crawl, it's design is pretty much 100% tried and true d&d cliches. An orc base, some standard dungeon crawling against troglodytes, duegar base, cleverly placed traps, and then the dragon at the end. The treasure is a bit low and it's mostly a pretty easy adventure. Good fun though. It's very similar in style to the Sunless Citadel, so if you enjoyed that one then Forge should be enjoyable too.

Three Faces of Evil (Dungeon #125) available from Pazio is another quality adventure. You go through 3 mini dungeons each dedicated to a different evil god. One is a fortress that lays out the defenders well prepared strategy to fight of defenders, one is a decent cave with grimlocks, and one is a sort of a maze where the PCs are fight classed human defenders. This adventure is brutal though. Since your players are new this one is probably too difficult.

Dungeon Crawl Classics #48 The Adventure Continues is a collection of smaller adventures for levels 4-6. I haven't read this, so I can't give a recommendation either way.

Gilladian

Adventurer
If you really want to run Forge of Fury (which I really enjoy running):

It seems to me that your third "character hook" in the module might work best. The PCs hear that orcs are raiding isolated farms. The charmed orc tells someone that his buddies are planning a larger raid, perhaps on a temple that the Knights are sworn to defend.

If one of the Knights is a dwarf, then the "Durgeddin's Blades" storyline can come in; perhaps these blades were forged in antiquity FOR the Knightly order, and were never delivered. Recovering them and setting them to the duty they were forged to do would be a very honorable quest.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I also thought about Meepo, an NPC in the Sunless Citadel (the PCs are going to try and bring him along as a companion), having a small vision about the "Kobold King" module, with the missing children, from Paizo.
Off-topic, when I ran SC, the players wanted to keep Meepo as well. They gave him a shortbow and directed him to snipe enemies as they approached. He performed this task quite well, and it became his schtick. Had this module not been a one-shot, the party would have encouraged Meepo to become either a sorcerer or rogue (or both). Just wanted to share. :)

kbowen0188

Explorer
-nods- I play Meepo off as a very fiesty, humorous kind of character, who pulls items out of nowhere. In several of the encounters, Meepo has vanished for a few rounds, only to come running (kinda) out of a nearby door, dragging along a greatsword, attempting to get it over his head in a swing of sorts in time to be of some help. He also drank the firebreathing potion that was generated from a dragon statue in the Sunless Citadel, leading to some very interesting roleplay moments.

But thank all of you for the responses. The Forge of Fury seems to be a good one to try, as I enjoy working with dungeon crawls and making them as exciting as possible. I like the idea of finding the weapons as sort of a quest sent down by the Order, and perhaps also using the hook of Orc attacks.

Also, the "fireworks vendor" they are currently travelling with, a member of the Order, is actually a prophet. He has foreseen the Red Hand and the invasion, however, he has never actually TOLD anyone he can foresee things. As the visions grow increasingly clear, bloody, and urgent, he is getting a bit panicked. He knows no-one will believe him, but his sense of good feels he must save all the villages that would be sacked by the Red Hand, and all the lives.

I thought about him simply leading them into the Forge of Fury, there being a cave-in or a trap set, of sorts, and them having to get out the other side. In his mind, "strengthing" the adventurers for the task ahead.

Or something. :]

I like all the plot hooks. :O

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases