Worthwhile Modules/Adventures?

Raven Crowking

First Post
I have begun working on my Toronto open sandbox campaign, and one of the things I am doing is converting materials from BD&D, AD&D, 3e, MERP, etc., to RCFG for inclusion as adventure locales/events/characters/encounters.

I picked up the first of the 4e Dungeons from the WotC site, and found at least one adventure (name escapes me, has to do with an open mouth, dreams, and thirteen stars) that would be both easy to convert and could be fit into a sandbox setting without too much work. I am also thinking of converting Keep on the Shadowfell.

My question is this: What other 4e materials should I look at in this regard, either in terms of modules or Dungeon adventures? What is really good/interesting out there?

Thanks!

RC

I think the Chaos Scar "campaign" they are starting now is designed for sandbox play. It are smaller adventures set in a particular locale - the Chaos Scar. It's not an "adventure path". I suspect that you might like the Bullywug one. ;)

Here are my thoughts on the published adventure series (H1-H3; P1-P3; E1-E3). I have or am running H1-to-H3, and I plan to run all 9 adventures. It is effectively an adventure path, though the connections between the adventures are not always strong. I think it tightens the most on the epic tier. Ultimiately it depends on how much you want to rip out of them and how much you want to re-use the story ideas. Some of the stories there might seem to "grand" in a sandbox where you don't know if the players will follow them or not.

- H1: Keep on the Shadowfell. The adventure itself is not perfect, but I think Winterhaven, the Keep itself and the story and surroundings can be used well in a sandbox campaign.
- H2: Thunderspire Labrynth also provides a large adventuring locale. There are multiple areas to explore and several random encounters that can each be used to make it an interesting locale, without needing to use the story.
The Seven Pillared Hall can serve as a home base or simply a destination point (trading with the Underdark/forming alliance with the Mage of Saruun). There is a large Duergar base, a former Minotaur temple taken over by Gnolls, and a "dark wizard" in a secret spot, plus several smaller areas. I think there is also a larger area that is left undetailed.
- H3: Pyramid of Shadows is in a way very plot-heavy (once in, you don't get out until you fullfill the goals), but if modified, it could be used as a dungeon you might visit repeatedly, each time with a different focus. Or you could just go with the story. I would suggest emphasizing the intrigue/betrayal/diplomacy part suggested in the adventure more. I didn't do that well and the players didn't seem too interested in it, either.
- P1-P3, E1: Difficult to say. Each has locales that might be useable for a sandbox campaign, but I think they are a little too plot-heavy. I think P3: Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress might work best.
- E2: Kingdom of Ghouls. This provides a lot of locales that I can see going to and returning from occasionally, though part of the challenge is making it from point A to B in a hostile, undead-heavy territory. Should make a nice non-standard wilderness challenge.
- E3: Prince of Undeath is "plot-heavy", but it also provides a few interesting epic locales to visit. Due to the different locales, I think this could have good value for a sandbox game.

Dungeon Delves could also fit well here. They are not very story-heavy, I think, but they are are relatively short and can probably easily plugged in at any point. Our DM used it in a level 21 one-shot to get us into a game - the party needed to teleport to its destination and this was the only portal near the location, so we had to fight through one area of the delve. We could have chosen to explore it further, if we wanted.

I am not sure about adventures from Dungeon. I haven't read them closely since I might always end up as a player in them and don't want to spoil my fun. ;)

I am not sure if the map previews are of any use if you can't click on them (subscription required for that) but check yourself: Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (E3 Prince of Undeath)

Raven Crowking

First Post
Mustrum,

Do the 4e modules have large overview maps, or simply tactical maps for specific encounter areas?

I hate the Dungeon Delve format, but I am going to be rewriting anyway to RCFG-ize the locations I use.

RC

Mustrum,

Do the 4e modules have large overview maps, or simply tactical maps for specific encounter areas?

I hate the Dungeon Delve format, but I am going to be rewriting anyway to RCFG-ize the locations I use.

RC
Typically, the adventures Hx to Ex consist of two books. The first one outlines the story, background and NPCs and comes with overview maps of the area and artwork or hand-out material. The second one outlines the individual encounters. (Though initial ones- typically serving as "hook" or introduction - are often also in the first book.)

I think it works better as it is done in Dungeon. Dungeon seems to split the story information to much from the encounters it belongs to. I feel like I can read through the first book and then safely use the second book during play.

Raven Crowking

First Post
I did think that there were parts of KotS that I could use, certainly. It seems that the first books will be of greater actual use in terms of a sandbox campaign than the second books, although I am finding that conversion from 4e is a pretty simple affair.

Thanks for your responses, and XP to you!

RC

Phaezen

First Post
I picked up the first of the 4e Dungeons from the WotC site, and found at least one adventure (name escapes me, has to do with an open mouth, dreams, and thirteen stars) that would be both easy to convert and could be fit into a sandbox setting without too much work. I am also thinking of converting Keep on the Shadowfell.

You are thinking of Sleeper in the Tomb of Dreams.

I can also recomend "Last Breaths of Ashenpory" available in 3.5 and 4

the Jester

Legend
Most of the 4e adventures have something worth looting, whether a town, an underground labyrinth or just a cool encounter or npc. The 4e default world is pretty sandboxy itself.

One thing that 4e seems to do very well that other editions were less hot at is traps, hazards and terrain effects. Almost every adventure has something worth pulling along these lines.

Remove ads