2E Retro-Clone?

Melkor

Explorer
Hi folks,

Just curious if anyone has worked up an AD&D 2E Retro-clone similar to OSRIC, and if so, where I might find it.

Thanks!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I know that this sort of thing is actively discussed over at Dragon's Foot (sic). In case no one chimes in here.

Raven Crowking

First Post
I would be interested, too, in something like an OGL character kit. I need to example how to use kits and prestige classes in RCFG. Prestige class is easy. Finding a kit example I can use is hard.

RC

Melkor

Explorer
And with the old Core Rules computer CDs, pretty much the entire black book 2E set was in Word-compatible format if I remember correctly.

Would be an awesome project for a graphic designer to lay out.....Hmmmm...I hear my profession calling. :)

Belen

Adventurer
And with the old Core Rules computer CDs, pretty much the entire black book 2E set was in Word-compatible format if I remember correctly.

Would be an awesome project for a graphic designer to lay out.....Hmmmm...I hear my profession calling. :)

You have to rewrite all the text though.

Not that I know of. However, I'm not at all hooked in to the 2e "scene," so there could easily be activity that I'm unaware of. You might ask over in the Dragonsfoot 2e forums. (Also, Dragonsfoot has some 2e compatible adventures/kits/etc that don't use the OGL at all: not helpful for creating a retro-clone, but useful for anyone who is just interested in new 2e material for their game.)

Remathilis

Legend
Yeah, this comes up from time to time. :)

I didn't start such a project due to two major issues: lack of appropriate time to devote to the cause (with two jobs, school, GMing my own game, and something resembling a social life) and non-familiarity with the OGL rules and how to "skirt" them to make such a clone. (Aka, what could I get away with and how). As such, I'd be better suited personally to assist and aid such a project, but not spearhead it.

I still believe a OSRIC supplement would be the best way of handling such a project (assuming the OSRIC powers-that-be would be cool with it). Use a lot of the OSRIC material as baseline, only changing things to "2e" them and begin adding new content as needed. Personally, I'd love to see some of the later 2e elements incorporated as well (such as tieflings, rebalanced schools/spheres, etc) but not touch kits or PO material. (kits could come later, I guess).

If such a project ever gets off the ground though, I'll help out as needed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases