...and along came a spider

Krishnath

First Post
Magus: Don't know, don't care. My version is what I wanted it to be. (CR 3)

Ferret: So, Ogre's lives in caves, so do stone giants and trolls. Not to mention every type of undead, most oozes and aberrations, dragons... you get the point. Just because it's under ground, it shouldn't mean it's a small creature such as a spider... :D And besides the Climate/Terrain entry for the ogre says Any land, aquatic (merrow), and underground...

Just a thought.

Later,

NarlethDrider

First Post
If I can find my "how to make a monster" article, I'll try & do some 3E versions of several spider-like beasties that I've done in the past----some are strictly natural/magical beasties, & others are drow expieriments. The first one I attempt to do will be the SPORG--a drow expieriment that combines ogres & spiders:D . I'm positive I'll need some help :rolleyes: ---especially in the 'rules aspects'

KL

First Post
I did a half fiend spider called an arachnofiend at Blacksway.net's Homebrew Creature Site. Inspired in part by a Japanese horror movie.....:)

Gish Makai

First Post
NarlethDrider said:
If I can find my "how to make a monster" article, I'll try & do some 3E versions of several spider-like beasties that I've done in the past----some are strictly natural/magical beasties, & others are drow expieriments. The first one I attempt to do will be the SPORG--a drow expieriment that combines ogres & spiders:D . I'm positive I'll need some help :rolleyes: ---especially in the 'rules aspects'

Check the home page for the Creature Catalog. I know Scott has it posted there for download.

Wolf72

Explorer
Krishnath said:

Anyone got any more spiders? If you do, post them here.

LAter,

... anytime I come up with a critter to challenge pc's that soundly gets trounced ...

I know who to go to for more evil-er ideas

Magus Darkholme

First Post
Well, here they are, although since I have yet to playtest them I've only guessed the CR, so I may be off a little.

PRISMATIC SPIDER
Small magical Beast
Hit dice: 2d10+2 (13hp)
Initiative: +4 (dex)
Speed: 30ft; climb 30ft
AC: 17 (+1 size, +4 dex, +2 natural), 15 touch, 13 flat footed
Attacks: Bite+3 melee
Damage: Bite 1d4+poison
Face/reach: 5ft by 5ft/5ft
Special attacks: Prismatic beam, poison
Special qualities: Scintillating skin
Saves: Fort+4, Ref+7, Will+0
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 4
Skills: Hide+9, move silently+8, spot+4, listen+4
Feats: Alertness
Climate/terrain: Any warm forest and underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, or batch (3-5)
Challenge rating: 4
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 3-8HD (small)

Prismatic spiders are often found living deep in the jungle preying on small birds and mammals. They are generally laid back when not hunting, but will agitate very easily. If they perceive something as a threat and it wanders too close to its web, a prismatic spider will often attack, especially if young are about.
A prismatic spider looks just like a large spider, but the skin shines with a rainbow hue, especially in light. They have a pair of large fangs that change color depending on the creature's mood. When they are blue the spider is passive, but should they flare to a bright red beware, for this means the spider is aggressive.
Prismatic spiders spin large webs between trees in the jungle, usually blocking a game trail, and wait for birds and other small creatures to get stuck. The webs are very fine and thus hard to see (spot DC 20) and are especially sticky and very hard to get out of (escape artist DC 15). Creatures as large as a bear have been caught in a prismatic spider's web before, but the spider will not eat it. Instead it will simply poison it and leave, going somewhere new to start over and leaving the trapped creature to die. This usually doesn't take long though, because jungle cats and other predators often hang about a prismatic spider's web and pick the trapped creature apart at their leisure. In fact sometimes they heard animals into the spider's web for a quick and easy meal.

COMBAT
Prismatic spiders are ambush predators, waiting on the edges of their webs for a creature to become trapped and then striking. They poison the prey with a bite and sit back and wait for it to die before moving in to feast. When defending its nest however, a prismatic spider will not hesitate to use its prismatic beam ability. If the opponent leaves the area the spider retreats back to its web and does not pursue.

Prismatic Beam (Ex): Once every 1d2 hours, a prismatic spider may let loose a ray of shimmering colors at an opponent with a range of 60ft. Those hit by the beam suffer 1d10 points of fire damage, 1d10 points of acid damage, and 1d10 points of electricity damage and, if the target has 5HD or less, are also blinded for 2d4 rounds. The target is allowed a reflex save (DC 12) for half damage.

Poison (Ex): The bite of a prismatic spider is very deadly. Those that fail the fortitude save (DC 13) have their bodies go into respiratory shock (see "Suffocation" in Dungeon Master's Guide).

Scintillating Skin (Ex): The skin of a prismatic spider shins with bright, scintillating colors. Those within 30ft who view it must make a will save (DC 12) or become effected as though by a hypnotic pattern spell cast by a 10th level sorcerer. It may affect an unlimited amount of creatures; creatures with 10HD or more are immune. If the save is successful the opponent is not affected by that particular spider's skin for 24 a period hours.

PRISMATIC PHASE SPIDER
Large Magical Beast
Hit dice: 6d10+5 (38hp)
Initiative: +5 (dex)
Speed: 40ft; climb 20ft
AC: 16 (-1size, +5dex, +2natural), 14 touch, 11 flat footed
Attacks: Bite+6 melee
Damage: Bite 1d6+1+poison
Face/reach: 10ft by 10ft/5ft
Special attacks: Ethereal jaunt, poison, prismatic beam
Special qualities: Scintillating skin
Saves: Fort+6, Ref+10, Will+2
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 20, Con 13, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Hide+10, move silently+13, spot+7, listen+7
Feats: Alertness, combat reflexes
Climate/terrain: Any warm land and underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7-14HD (Large), 15-18HD (Huge)

Like their cousin, the prismatic spider, the prismatic phase spider hunts in the warm, tropical regions of the world, preying on anything it comes across that it can take down.
A prismatic phase spider looks like a over-sized arachnid, with skin that shins with a rainbow hue. The fangs are usually a dark orange in color and change depending upon the mood of the creature; orange means it's hunting while light blue means it's at rest. What the other colors mean scholars have yet to determine.
The prismatic phase spider hunts it's prey on the ground, staying ethereal until it come across a target, which it will then phase into the material and strike with deadly quickness. Thankfully prismatic phase spiders are solitary creatures, coming together only to mate, which they only do once in a lifetime.

COMBAT
A prismatic phase spider stalks its prey while in the ethereal, waiting for the opponent to drop its guard so it can phase quickly to the Prime and catch the victim flat footed. When this occurs it bites the opponent quickly and phases back to the ethereal immediately afterwards. It uses its prismatic beam only in defense and only when it is up against a powerful foe.

Prismatic Beam (Ex): Once every hour, a prismatic phase spider may let loose a ray of shimmering colors at an opponent with a range of 60ft. Those hit by the beam suffer 2d10 points of fire damage, 2d10 points of acid damage, and 2d10 points of electricity damage and, if the target has 5HD or less, are also blinded for 2d4 rounds. The target is allowed a reflex save (DC 13) for half damage.

Scintillating Skin (Ex): The skin of a prismatic phase spider shins with bright, scintillating colors. Those within 30ft who view it must make a will save (DC 13) or become effected as though by a hypnotic pattern spell cast by a 10th level sorcerer. It may affect an unlimited amount of creatures. If the save is successful the opponent is not affected by that particular spider's skin for 24 a period hours.

Ethereal Jaunt (Su): A prismatic phase spider can shift from the ethereal to the material as a free action, and shift back again as a move equivalent action (or during a move equivalent action). This ability is otherwise identical to ethereal jaunt cast by a 15th level sorcerer.

Poison (Ex): The bite of a prismatic phase spider is deadly to the extreme. Those that fail the fortitude save (DC 14) have their bodies go into respiratory shock (see "Suffocation" in Dungeon Master's Guide).

Krishnath

First Post
Magus: Very nice, would wan't to meet either of the prismatic spiders, one has to wonder though... Prismatic Driders?

Wolf72: You ain't seen nothing yet ;)

Anyone got any more spiders? if you do post them here.

Remove ads