Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
The alan has little contact with man, but it is generally friendly and occasionally helpful when encountered. However, some have been known to be hostile, attacking lone travelers or raiding villages in the night. They are also known to be mischievous, resorting to pranks and tricks on unwary hunters. They live in small, ornately fashioned treehouses hidden in the branches of large trees.

That suggests Bluff and possibly Diplomacy, and maybe Knowledge (nature) and/or Survival to me.

Cleon

Legend
That suggests Bluff and possibly Diplomacy, and maybe Knowledge (nature) and/or Survival to me.

It depends what sort of pranks they are.

Since they're "pranking" hunters, they could be meddling with their equipment, breaking their traps, and making spooky noises from the bushes.

That only requires a good score in Move Silently and Hide.

Cleon

Legend
Wouldn't Climb be useful for getting around in trees too?

Climb seems a little superfluous for a creature that can fly.

All it says is they build their huts in trees and like to hang from branches by their toes like a bat. It doesn't say they're good at clambering about in trees. The SRD Bats don't have Climb, so I see no necessity to give the Alan it.

That said, it would be useful. Perhaps we should give them a +4 racial bonus and a "can use Dexterity or Strength on Climb checks" beanie to represent their perching feet and other arboreal adaptations.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That said, it would be useful. Perhaps we should give them a +4 racial bonus and a "can use Dexterity or Strength on Climb checks" beanie to represent their perching feet and other arboreal adaptations.

I like this, and still favor some ranks in Bluff.

Remove ads