Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
I like your revisions. Updated.

I wondered whether their Level Adjustment was OK. They've got racial adjustments of Dex +6, Int +2, Wis +4, Cha +2, Small size and they can fly. That'd make them pretty effective flying spellcasters.

Contrariwise, those 4 levels of Monstrous Humanoid hold their advancement back.

Well, it's not like LAs are an exact science. LA +3 feels about right.

Shall we proceed to the next beastie?

Cleon

Legend
Now we need to find another unconverted OA critter...any ideas?

Night of the Seven Swords has quite a few monsters which only have mini-stat blocks. A lot of them are from MC6, but the following seem to be particular to OA2:
Arms, Haunted
Head, Haunted
Flying Spirits

Beetle Swarm
Giant Crab Ghost*
Ninja Spirit Shadow

Paper Warrior
Tentacles

*Not to be confused with Return to White Plume Mountain's Invisible Undead Giant Crab.

I think some of them are unconverted. Anything tickle your fancy?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Night of the Seven Swords has quite a few monsters which only have mini-stat blocks. A lot of them are from MC6, but the following seem to be particular to OA2:
Arms, Haunted
Head, Haunted
Flying Spirits

Beetle Swarm
Giant Crab Ghost*
Ninja Spirit Shadow

Paper Warrior
Tentacles

*Not to be confused with Return to White Plume Mountain's Invisible Undead Giant Crab.

I think some of them are unconverted. Anything tickle your fancy?

Of those, the ninja spirit shadow, beetle swarm and paper warrior sound the most intriguing.

"Tentacles" is by far the least. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Of those, the ninja spirit shadow, beetle swarm and paper warrior sound the most intriguing.

"Tentacles" is by far the least. ;)

I spent some time reading through Night of the Seven Swords and there are quite a few new monsters.

A few of these creatures are just spirit versions of standard monsters - e.g. the Giant Crab Ghost is simply a standard Giant Crab that can be affected by anti-spirit magic.

A lot of the rest are the spirit forms of deceased humanoids, a sizeable number of which could probably be represented as NPCs with the Haunted template from Dragon #318. e.g. "haunted 1st level samurai".

However, some of these "ghosts" have special powers, most noticeably the seven weapon masters who are the "Seven Swords" of the module's title. All the Seven Swords have the power to materialize and engage in physical combat, and the usual undead immunity to sleep & charm.

The Seven Swords are:

The Reaper - Special attacks (sweep, block, "seven blades", propeller attack) with a Scythe.
The Veiled Maidens - Special attacks (blinding, entangling, strangling) with veil.
The General - Can create 20 mirror images of himself plus a flaming katana.
The Shadow Walker - Has powers of blending, wall walking, hurling paralyzing bits of shadow, and blur. Has a Con-damaging kusari-gama.
The Paper Warrior - An arcane spellcaster who can create animated origami creatures/objects (shield beetle, bee warrior, vipers, pinwheel, leaping locusts, octopus) that fight for him. Also has a magic quill that can rewrite a creature's perception of reality!
The Screaming Child - a dwarf air elementalist who attacks with a giant rattle! Has special attacks (thrown ball, hurl foe, blinding flash) with his rattle.
The Keeper - A warrior-priest who has special attacks (deflect attack, crystal shuriken) with a set of windchimes.

The Ninja Spirit Shadow is like a weaker version of a "Sword" that can be met as a random encounter - it's basically a 6 HD undead spirit ninja/yakuza with fast-healing that turns into an indestructible and intangible 2D shadow when in bright light.

Apart from the eight "spirits" and miscellaneous spooks described above, the other original creatures I found are:

Beetle Swarms - One (random encounter) swarm has 15 hp and automatically does 1 damage to all opponents in its area, the other (location trap) swarm has 40 hp and does 1d4 damage/opponent. Both are AC 7.

Daji - A miniature 1st level samurai, as small as your little finger.

Flying Spirits - skull-headed flying killer bedsheets. I suspect these are some kind of Yokai, but I have been unable to find a Japanese monster that matches the description.

Flying Stones - Enchanted cobblestones that fly about smashing into folk. I think we can skip this one!

Goblin Rat King - a slightly stronger version of the standard Goblin Rat. Doesn't seem worth converting.

Haunted Arm - A disembodied arm. Fights as a 12th level ninja!

Haunted Heads - A husband and wife pair of disembodied (and argumentative) "living" heads.

Tentacles - The Encounter Table has a listing for "tentacles" (AC 4, MV 6", HD 9, hp 16, THAC0 12, Dmg 2-8, SA Tangle (Str 20), Al N), but I can find no such monster in the scenario itself! The only creature with tentacles that I could find is a krakentua, but its stats are quite different.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
It sounds like the Seven Swords and Spirit Ninja are the best bets for conversion, along with the useful (albeit boring) beetle swarm. Pick one to start with and post the stats please. :)

Cleon

Legend
It sounds like the Seven Swords and Spirit Ninja are the best bets for conversion, along with the useful (albeit boring) beetle swarm. Pick one to start with and post the stats please. :)

I like the Haunted Heads and Flying Spirits too.

The haunted heads are moderately amusing and seemed grounded in Japanese myth, but the OA2 version were pretty much noncombatants so we can skip them if you're uninterested.

I'd start with a Flying Spirit, since it should be an easy conversion. (Plus, it's a short entry so should be quick to type out).

The Beetle Swarm doesn't prompt much interest in me, but I'd do that next since you think it's useful.

The Ninja Spirit and Seven Sword Spirits are far more complicated (not to mention would take longer to type out), so I'd leave them till last. We might as well do them in sequence with the simplest one - the Ninja Spirit Shadow converted first.

Anyhow, here goes...

Cleon

Legend
Flying Spirit (Original Stats)

Flying Spirit
[Adventure text]
Arriving at Ito-Jo
By Air. Flying characters have no trouble by day. By night each flying character is attacked over the island by a flying spirit, which has a skull-like head and a fluttering, sheet-like body (AC 5; MV -/15”; HD 2+3; hp 12 each; #AT 2 claws; THAC0 16; Dmg 1-4/1-4).

[Encounter Table entry]
Flying Spirits:These have skull-like heads and fluttering, sheet-like bodies (AC 5; MV -/15”; HD 2+3; #AT 2 claws; THAC0 16; Dmg 1-4/1-4).

Remove ads