Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
Poor Cleon. ;)

What did you think about an incorporeal touch in shadow form? I'm not bothered much either way.

No, that doesn't seem right. The original couldn't be harmed in its shadow form and there's no mention of it being able to harm creature the other way.

I think we're done with the Special Abilities, so shall we continue to Skills and Feats?

Balance, Bluff, Climb, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Spot, and Tumble all seem to fit it, but we don't have enough SPs to max those all out.

Come to think of it, the original was a 3rd/3rd level character, so how about cutting the Balance (since it's got that Acrobatics bonus in it), and putting the 3rd level 6 rank limit in the remaining nine skills?

Skill Ranks: Balance 0*, Bluff 6, Climb 6*, Hide 6, Jump 6*, Listen 6, Move Silently 6, Search 6, Spot 6, and Tumble 6*.
*Acrobatic skill with +5 competence bonus.

Hmm, better yet, I'll even out the "Acrobatic" skills:

Skill Ranks: Balance 3*, Bluff 6, Climb 5*, Hide 6, Jump 5*, Listen 6, Move Silently 6, Search 6, Spot 6, and Tumble 5*.
*Acrobatic skill with +5 competence bonus.

Including the bonus, that'd work out:

Skills: Balance +12, Bluff +8, Climb +12, Hide +10, Jump +12, Listen +8, Move Silently +10, Search +8, Spot +8, and Tumble +14.

Alertness, Stealthy, Weapon Finesse for the feats?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That final skill line looks good, as do the suggested feats. Let's update and take a look at it!

CR 4 or maybe 3? It's clearly superior to a wight except for the wight's energy drain.

Cleon

Legend
That final skill line looks good, as do the suggested feats. Let's update and take a look at it!

CR 4 or maybe 3? It's clearly superior to a wight except for the wight's energy drain.

That's like saying "Bruce Lee is clearly a superior fighter to Rambo apart from Rambo's M60". :p

Still, I would go for Challenge Rating 4 too.

freyar

Well, that's why I did leave the option of CR 3. ;)

I don't think the original monster listed treasure, but I'm thinking "none." Agree?

Cleon

Legend
Well, that's why I did leave the option of CR 3. ;)

Updating the Ninja Spirit Shadow Working Draft.

I don't think the original monster listed treasure, but I'm thinking "none." Agree?

Well it was basically a wandering monster in the original adventure, if I remember correctly, so wouldn't have had "treasure in lair".

Still, I don't ninjas usually carry treasure "on the job" - unless the job is carrying treasure, of course - so "none" is OK. I'll red it in, just in case anyone disagrees.

What about organization? "Solitary or gang (1 plus X shadows?)"? or "Solitary, team (X) or gang (Y plus Z shadows?)"?

I like the idea of them associating with normal Shadow undead, just to confuse the enemy!

freyar

I think I like "Solitary or gang (1-4 plus 2-8 shadows)."

I think character class advancement feels right, too.

Tactics: Ninja spirit shadows strike quickly, then fade into shadow form for protection when conditions permit. ??

Cleon

Legend
I think I like "Solitary or gang (1-4 plus 2-8 shadows)."

Hmm, I like the idea of including a team too:

Solitary, team (2-4) or gang (1=4 plus 2-8 shadows?)?

I think character class advancement feels right, too.

That's agreeable.

Tactics: Ninja spirit shadows strike quickly, then fade into shadow form for protection when conditions permit. ??

I think we can flesh that out some more.

freyar

I'll agree to that advancement, if you change the = to -. ;)

Tactics: Ninja spirit shadows strike quickly, then fade into shadow form for protection when conditions permit. In melee, they use their flurry of blows to great effect, taking sadistic pleasure in the pain they inflict on their victims. ???

Cleon

Legend
I'll agree to that advancement, if you change the = to -. ;)

I think you meant Organisation, if you're being pernickety. :p

Odd, I remember noticing that = error and correcting it, but it's still there. What's up with that?

Updating the Ninja Spirit Shadow Working Draft.

Tactics: Ninja spirit shadows strike quickly, then fade into shadow form for protection when conditions permit. In melee, they use their flurry of blows to great effect, taking sadistic pleasure in the pain they inflict on their victims. ???

I don't care for that "sadistic pleasure" bit.

How about:

Ninja spirit shadows prefer to strike quickly, then fade into shadow form until they can strike again. When ambushing opponents, they can combine flurry of blows with their sneak attack to great effect.

freyar

Well, that was a brain freeze. ;)

That sounds fine to me.
Speaking of sneak attack, since we're giving them character class advancement, shouldn't we put in an actual ability line about sneak attack stating that it stacks with sneak attack from other sources?

Do we have any idea what this looks like when it's not in shadow form? A withered person dressed in black clothes with a mask or something?

Remove ads