Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Whoa, that derghodaemon ability is a real Cleon classic. :p

But the Reaper's version works very well. Should the +X modifier be the usual BAB + Str modifier, or do you want to use something else?

freyar

Works for me.

Onto the sweep/trip? Any scythe can already trip an opponent without provoking an AoO, so we could just give it a bonus on trip attacks. However, giving it trip like a wolf would be fun:

Trip (Ex): If the Reaper hits with a scythe attack, he can attempt to trip the opponent (+X check modifier including a +X enhancement?? bonus) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Reaper.

Cleon

Legend
Works for me.

Updating The Reaper Working Draft.

Onto the sweep/trip? Any scythe can already trip an opponent without provoking an AoO, so we could just give it a bonus on trip attacks. However, giving it trip like a wolf would be fun:

Yes, but a scythe just has a standard Trip attack which does not damage. I was thinking of a damaging attack.

Trip (Ex): If the Reaper hits with a scythe attack, he can attempt to trip the opponent (+X check modifier including a +X enhancement?? bonus) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Reaper.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind making it a bit better than standard "Trip" and call it "Sweep". Probably add a bonus to the Trip Strength check (+4 like Improved Trip, give it Improved Trip as a bonus feat, or allow it to use its +9 BAB instead of its +4 Strength bonus?)

Also, how about if we let it trip an opponent up to two sizes larger than itself with its scythe, not just one larger á la standard Trip?

freyar

Well, I did add a bonus. But going to two sizes larger would make it interesting.

Sweep (Ex): If the Reaper hits an opponent up to two size categories larger with a scythe attack, he can attempt to trip the opponent (+X check modifier including a +X enhancement?? bonus) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Reaper.

Cleon

Legend
Well, I did add a bonus. But going to two sizes larger would make it interesting.

Sweep (Ex): If the Reaper hits an opponent up to two size categories larger with a scythe attack, he can attempt to trip the opponent (+X check modifier including a +X enhancement?? bonus) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Reaper.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, although I'm not sure about the bonus type. Maybe competence instead of enhancement?

freyar

Yeah, I wondered about the bonus type also. I'd be willing to swap that to competence. +4 like the feat or maybe a tad more like +6?

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, I wondered about the bonus type also. I'd be willing to swap that to competence. +4 like the feat or maybe a tad more like +6?

Hmm, the Improved Trip's +4 is a typeless bonus, and I'm not sure I want them to stack. We could add text about the Sweep bonus not stacking with Improved Trip, or just give it Improved Trip as a bonus feat and include the +4 in the SA's Strength check modifier.

freyar

I think it's most efficient to add Imp Trip as a bonus feat (even though Sweep covers some of that feat anyway). In that case,

Sweep (Ex): If the Reaper hits an opponent up to two size categories larger with a scythe attack, he can attempt to trip the opponent (+X check modifier including the +4 bonus from Improved Trip) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Reaper.

Cleon

Legend
I think it's most efficient to add Imp Trip as a bonus feat (even though Sweep covers some of that feat anyway). In that case,

Yes, that's my preferred solution too. I'll update The Reaper Working Draft with Improved Trip.

Sweep (Ex): If the Reaper hits an opponent up to two size categories larger with a scythe attack, he can attempt to trip the opponent (+X check modifier including the +4 bonus from Improved Trip) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Reaper.

That first sentence is getting a bit cumbersome. How about splitting it?

Sweep (Ex): If the Reaper hits an opponent up to two size categories larger than itself with a scythe attack, it can attempt to trip the opponent as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. The trip attempt has a +8 modifier, including the +4 bonus from Improved Trip. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Reaper.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases