Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Let's drop spider climb and the create spawn--they've got their weretigers for that. I'd rather they were able to create multiple weretigers, but I think they shouldn't be able to do it often--once a month or once a year.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Let's work on the "weretiger curse" ability.

Each Vampire-Spectre has a 10% chance of carrying a Magic Tiger Skin. This item may be thrown up to 1” away against a victim (or close in, if the caster wants to hang on) as against Armor Class 9. If the skin covers the target, the victim must make a saving throw versus magic. If he fails, he absorbs the skin and becomes a weretiger slave of the caster, or, after the caster is destroyed, simply a Chaotic/Evil weretiger. Someone under the influence of the skin is immune to charm-type spell psionics, music, etc. The skin may be removed only by someone else’s completion of a harrowing Quest, at which point the skin will come off, or by the original caster’s choice to remove the skin.

demiurge1138 said:
If we're going to do the weretiger curse, which I'm all for, we shouldn't tie it to an item, but we should make it something it can't do very often. Only one weretiger thrall at a time? A 1/month recharge?

demiurge1138 said:
I'd rather they were able to create multiple weretigers, but I think they shouldn't be able to do it often--once a month or once a year.

Do we want to keep the "throwing the tiger skin" approach, or simplify it to a simple melee touch like the bestow curse spell?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I really don't like it as a magic item. Perhaps a ranged touch attack wherein they empower a tiger skin, similar to the "magical" abilities of devil's weapons.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That approach is fine with me. Here's a try

Tiger Skin Curse (Su): Once per month, a vampire-spectre may make a ranged touch attack (10 ft range, no range increments) with a tiger skin. If the skin hits, the victim must make a DC X Fort/Will? save, or absorb the skin and immediately transform into a weretiger under the command of the vampire-spectre. At any point, a vampire-spectre may command only X weretigers but may remove the tiger skin and lycanthropy from a victim as a full-round action. Otherwise, the curse may be removed only by the wish and miracle spells or similar magic. After the destruction of the vampire-spectre, the victim becomes a free-willed weretiger.

That feels a bit clunky, but we can work on it. I'm not quite sure what to do with alignment once they're free willed, since the original is CE and weretigers are N in 3.5.

Shade

Monster Junkie
We could keep the alignment unchanged, and just note that weretigers created in this manner are automatically dominated as if they had failed the save against the vampire's gaze.

Add break enchantment to the spells that can end the curse?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That was what I was leaning toward on the alignment. I'd say no to break enchantment except under conditions allowing for the cure of afflicted lycanthropes.

Cleon

Legend
Agreed to 1 thrall at a time and Cha increase to 19.

Added to Homebrews.

Which of the following standard vampire abilities (not specifically mentioned in the text) should we retain?

• create spawn
  • damage reduction 10/silver and magic
  • dominate
  • resistance to cold 10 and electricity 10
  • spider climb
  • +8 racial bonus on Bluff, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks
  • Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Improved Initiative, and Lightning Reflexes as bonus feats
I'd say all of them except for electricity resistance, based on a vague memory of Chinese folktales were Heaven sent down lightning to destroy evil spirits.

Cleon

Legend
That approach is fine with me. Here's a try

Tiger Skin Curse (Su): Once per month, a vampire-spectre may make a ranged touch attack (10 ft range, no range increments) with a tiger skin. If the skin hits, the victim must make a DC X Fort/Will? save, or absorb the skin and immediately transform into a weretiger under the command of the vampire-spectre. At any point, a vampire-spectre may command only X weretigers but may remove the tiger skin and lycanthropy from a victim as a full-round action. Otherwise, the curse may be removed only by the wish and miracle spells or similar magic. After the destruction of the vampire-spectre, the victim becomes a free-willed weretiger.

That feels a bit clunky, but we can work on it. I'm not quite sure what to do with alignment once they're free willed, since the original is CE and weretigers are N in 3.5.

We could keep the alignment unchanged, and just note that weretigers created in this manner are automatically dominated as if they had failed the save against the vampire's gaze.

I like this, and approve of them retaining their original alignment if only for the additional pathos. As for the save, I think I prefer Will.

Add break enchantment to the spells that can end the curse?

That's not as powerful as a wish though. How about break enchantment can work, but it has to beat an impressively high level check?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I'd rather the weretigers go CE. I have the plot in my head of the evil weretiger minion, escaping its master's destruction, plotting to revive it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases