Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
I'd rather the weretigers go CE. I have the plot in my head of the evil weretiger minion, escaping its master's destruction, plotting to revive it.

Maybe it's like baleful polymorph, with a Fort save to resist the transformation and a Will save to resist mental alterations, except they've got to make a Will save each day. On the first failure they become permanently Dominated by the vampire, and on the second failure their alignment changes to Chaotic Evil?

That means for the first 24 hours at least the vampire must use its normal Dominate power to control its weretiger - although it may get a circumstance bonus on the DC.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmm, I guess I can go with these weretigers being the exception to "always N." I never did quite understand why lycanthropes are so tied to a given alignment (other than to make the curse even more interesting).

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmm, I guess I can go with these weretigers being the exception to "always N." I never did quite understand why lycanthropes are so tied to a given alignment (other than to make the curse even more interesting).

Yeah, just one of the many items on the laundry list of reasons I rank 3x lycanthropes among my least-liked and least-used critters. :yawn:

I can go for Cleon's suggestion as well. Anyone want to attempt to merge that with freyar's ability upthread?

freyar

Well, that's cured in Pathfinder; not only are alignments less specified (something I like less in some cases, actually), but lycanthropy only comes with an alignment change with DM fiat it seems.

Here's an attempted merge:

Tiger Skin Curse (Su): Once per month, a vampire-spectre may make a ranged touch attack (10 ft range, no range increments) with a tiger skin. If the skin hits, the victim must make a DC X Fort save, or absorb the skin and immediately transform into a weretiger. The victim must also make a DC X Will save or fall under the command of the vampire-spectre as through the vampire-spectre's dominate ability.

Each day, the victim must make an additional Will save. If it fails, it becomes permanently dominated by the vampire-spectre; if it succeeds, it resists mental control but may be dominated by the vampire-spectre just like any other creature. After a failed save, the weretiger victim must still make a DC X Will save each day until it fails again. On the first failure, the weretiger's alignment permanently shifts to chaotic evil.

At any point, a vampire-spectre may command only X weretigers but may remove the tiger skin, lycanthropy, and mental domination from a victim as a full-round action, although alignment changes remain. Otherwise, the curse, including any alignment shift, may be removed only by the wish and miracle spells or a break enchantment spell if the caster succeeds at a DC X caster level check. After the destruction of the vampire-spectre, the victim becomes a free-willed weretiger.

Shade

Monster Junkie
That looks mighty fine, freyar!

One question, though: Why keep the alignment change if the v-s removes the skin?

freyar

We can change that if you like. My thought was just that the alignment is more of an instantaneous effect, whereas the curse of lycanthropy is more of a permanent (and therefore dispellable) effect, using an analogy to spells.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Fair enough!

Updated.

Max # of weretigers? Caster level equals v-spectre's HD?

Skills: 7 at 13 ranks

Feats: Alertness (B), Combat Reflexes (B), Dodge (B), Improved Initiative (B), Lightning Reflexes (B), 4 more

freyar

Maybe 3 weretigers (1 per 3 HD)? CL = HD works.

Bluff, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Spot like the racial bonuses?

Stealthy, Ability Focus (domination), Combat Expertise, Improved Disarm or Improved Trip?

Remove ads