Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
How about 2d8 leopards or 1d8 tigers?

CR 11 is probably ok, though the hp might be a touch low. I think the special abilities probably make up for that.

Tigers are 2 Challenge Ratings higher than Leopards, which suggests we need roughly four times as many leopards as tigers. Cut the tigers to 1d4 or 1d3+1?

I'll also play Devil's Advocate and suggest CR11 is a tad high for them, they feel more like a CR10 to me.

It does indeed include weretigers, Cleon. It doesn't include any ordinary ones.

Sorry, I think I got my Organization mixed up with my Summoning.

Actually, that gives me an idea. Tigers, at CR4, seem a little weak for a monster of its CR to summon. We've tried to make up for it by upping the numbers, but that doesn't work terribly well in 3rd edition.

Could we make it weretigers instead?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Tigers are 2 Challenge Ratings higher than Leopards, which suggests we need roughly four times as many leopards as tigers. Cut the tigers to 1d4 or 1d3+1?

As you pointed out, tigers are a bit weak for their CR, so let's increase the leopards rather than decrease the tigers.

Sorry, I think I got my Organization mixed up with my Summoning.

Actually, that gives me an idea. Tigers, at CR4, seem a little weak for a monster of its CR to summon. We've tried to make up for it by upping the numbers, but that doesn't work terribly well in 3rd edition.

Could we make it weretigers instead?

I'd rather not add weretigers to summoning, as it undermines their weretiger curse ability. I'd be OK with adding a dire tiger or two, though.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I'd say CR 9 or 10. They have a hard time doing damage, but they've got good defenses and the weretiger ability, which is awesome-but-limited.

Cleon

Legend
As you pointed out, tigers are a bit weak for their CR, so let's increase the leopards rather than decrease the tigers.

That would make it an awful lot of leopards. Something like 4d8 or 2d6+10. Besides, I'm not sure leopards are vicious enough to make much of an impressive against PC around 10th level.

I'd rather not add weretigers to summoning, as it undermines their weretiger curse ability. I'd be OK with adding a dire tiger or two, though.

I'm okay with dropping the Summon Weretiger idea. I guess we could make them Fiendish Tigers if we decide they need to be a little nastier.

Since I'm having my doubts about a huge pack of leopards, how about we substitute Dire Tiger(s) instead? Dire Tigers are a lot tougher than regular Tigers, so I'd lean towards just having one.

I would also like to narrow the variability in the Tiger summons a bit (e.g. 3-6 Tigers instead of 1-8, or 3-8 if we decide to cut off the low end).

So, something like 1d4+2 (fiendish?) Tigers or 1 Dire Tiger?

Maybe 1d6+2 (fiendish?) Tigers or 1d2 Dire Tigers?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd like to keep the leopards, even if they're suboptimal, for flavor reasons. I'm not a fan of fiendish tigers in this case, but I'm happy to add the dire tigers and increase the low end of tigers as you suggested.

So, 2d6+10 leopards, 1d6+2 tigers, or 1d2 dire tigers?

CR 10 sounds reasonable.

Updated.

Anything else?

Cleon

Legend
How about 2d4+4 leopards?

Well that would average at 9, or half the number of tigers. Since the rule-of-thumb is doubling the number for every CR it should be four times.

We could go for 2d6+6 Leopards as a compromise, which works out about three times the number of tigers, but that is still an awful lot of spotty cats.

Remove ads