Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated. That should finish 'em.

Here's the last of the "Chinese undead"...

Goat-Demon
# Appearing: 2-24
AC: 3
Move: 9
HD: 2
%Lair: 20%
Treasure: Type B

These are ghouls in goat shape, with 1 butt 1-8 plus save versus paralyzation. Otherwise treat as ordinary ghouls.

Not very exciting, eh?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Perhaps, if there are goat stats anywhere, we can change the physical abilities and some Ex abilities to match a goat?

Cleon

Legend
Updated. That should finish 'em.

Here's the last of the "Chinese undead"...

Goat-Demon
# Appearing: 2-24
AC: 3
Move: 9
HD: 2
%Lair: 20%
Treasure: Type B

These are ghouls in goat shape, with 1 butt 1-8 plus save versus paralyzation. Otherwise treat as ordinary ghouls.

Not very exciting, eh?

No, but we have to be able to come up with something to jazz them up a bit.

I did a quick search around the internet and wasn't able to find any useful information on Chinese Ghost Demons, the only significant hits I got was a Warner Bros cartoon series mentioning "a large shadow along with a goat-demon enslaving Chase Young to evil" and the title of a painting by one Yun-fei Ji (who appears to be a modern artist in New York who paints satires on the Chinese government).

Neither seem to be much help.

Oh, and IIRC there is at least one episode of the Japanese TV series Monkey (based on the Chinese fairytale Voyage to the West) which has a goat spirit as one of the antagonists.

I guess we could always make something up...

So, do these things look like ordinary goats, and devour careless travellers and herders, or are they obviously monstrous?

The Dragon #26 illustration shows the upper portions of a goat-man like creature, but the description of them being "in goat form" may suggest an actual goatlike shape. Maybe it's a shapechanger with both a goat and hybrid form?

Perhaps like some goats in caricature they have the ability to "eat anything", which they use to chew through tomb doors and into graves in order to devour the interned? Since it says they're ghouls, one presumes they eat the dead.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Perhaps like some goats in caricature they have the ability to "eat anything", which they use to chew through tomb doors and into graves in order to devour the interned? Since it says they're ghouls, one presumes they eat the dead.

I like this idea. Take one ravenous living creature and combine with a ravenous undead and fun ensues! :lol:

Here are the 3e stats for a goat...

Mountain Goat
Small Animal
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (6 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +2 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-4
Attack: Horns +1 melee (1d6)
Full Attack: Horns +1 melee (1d6)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Stampede
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +3, Will -1
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 8, Cha 4
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +5
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Any mountains
Organization: Herd (2-16)
Challenge Rating: ¼
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

A typical mountain goat stands 3 feet tall at the shoulders.

Combat
Stampede (Ex): A herd of mountain goats can stampede. A creature caught in the stampede must make a DC 12 Dexterity check or suffer 2d6 points of nonlethal damage from being bowled over and trodden upon by the animals.

Source: Dungeon Magazine #83, p. 70.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
So... still not much to go on. All the goat really has is a high Con score... which it'll lose as the undead. I like the idea of a goatish humanoid that can alternate form into goat shape.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases