Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
So, an undead weregoat that can ignore hardness/DR?

Yeah, let's go with that. Otherwise, they'll be really boring.

Well we're making progress.

I like the idea of them being shapeshifters, with a hideous undead goat-man form and a goat form (which can look either harmless or undead?).

So, which attack(s) ignore hardness/DR. I was thinking they might have a special "Gnaw Attack" which they can use against immobile objects (including paralyzed victims) or anything they're in a grapple with.

Hmm, Chinese Demons can often disguise themselves with illusions, so I fancy giving them a disguise self type ability which allows them to appear to be a different (living) humanoid or goat-sized quadruped?

How about we let them wield weapons or fists in goatman-form in addition to their paralysing horn attack, and give them a goat's superior speed in animal form?

(By the way, I would rather restrict the paralysis to their horns even it we do give them another attack.)

Cleon

Legend
Okay, here's a first attempt at a fully worked out Goat Demon. You have to look pretty closely to see the SRD Ghoul that is under it!

I will admit it owes at least as much to watching Monkey episodes on TV to the original monster's description. Particularly in the Illusory Disguise and the weapon-wielding.

Goat Demon
Medium Undead (Extraplanar, Shapechanger)
Hit Dice: 2d12
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares) [40 ft. in goat form]
Armor Class: 17 (+2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+3
Attack: Horns +3 melee (1d8+3 plus paralysis) or halberd +3 melee (1d10+3/×3) or slam +3 melee (1d3+2)
Full Attack:
Horns +3 melee (1d8+3 plus paralysis) and 2 slams +1 melee (1d3+1); or halberd +3 melee (1d10+3/×3) and horns +1 melee (1d8+1 plus paralysis)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Paralysis, inexorable gnawing
Special Qualities: Alternate form, darkvision 60 ft., illusory disguise, undead traits, +2 turn resistance
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +5
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 15, Con –, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills: Balance +6, Climb +5, Hide +6, Jump +5, Move Silently +6, Spot +7
Feats: Multiattack
Environment: Any land or The Abyss
Organization: Solitary or herd (2-24)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment:

Goat demons are a minor form of undead that originate from an unknown layer of the Abyss. They delight in the destruction of mankind. Some goat demons hope to work their way up the hierarchy of the damned by the corruption and damnation of living sapients, especially clerics, but most are crude monsters who achieve little beyond the slaughter of the living and desecration of the dead. Goat Demons frequently chew their way into graves and tombs to defile and devour the contents.

Goat demons speak Abyssal and Common.

Combat

A goat demon usually assumes some innocent looking guise - such as an old woman, a stray goat or a large dog - and tries to work its way close to a lone victim, then launch a surprise attack with its paralysing horns. If it succeeds it uses Inexorable Gnawing on its helpless victim. A herd of goat demons use similar ambush tactics, often masquerading as a goatherd and their flock or a band of travellers.

Goat demons are not brave creatures, they will switch to quadruped form and flee if wounded or outmatched.

Alternate Form (Su): A goat demon's natural form is that of a hideous decomposing goat, but it prefers to attack in its alternate form, a creature with the body of a hairy ghoul and the head of a goat (stats as above). A goat demon can switch from one form to the other with a swift action. When in its true goat form the goat demon's Speed increases to 40 ft., but it loses the ability to wield weapons (or any other activity requiring hands).

If slain, a goat demon reverts to its goat form and then dissolves into a pile of bones and putrescence.

Illusory Disguise (Su): The goat demon can take the appearance of any Small or Medium-sized creature or object that is shaped like a humanoid or a four-legged animal. The goat demon can take on the form of inanimate objects of the same shape (i.e. statues) as well living, dead or undead creatures. This is an illusion (glamour) effect that includes visual, olfactory (smell), auditory (sound) and tactile (touch) components. A goat demon using this power to create a disguise gets a +10 bonus on its Disguise check. A creature that interacts with the Illusory Disguise gets a DC12 Will save to recognize it as an illusion.

Inexorable Gnawing (Ex): A goat demon can chew its way through almost anything with its powerful jaws and teeth. As a standard action, the goat demon can automatically do 2d6+3 damage to any immobile object, including victims of its Paralysis attack and opponents the goat demon has grappled and pinned. Inexorable Gnawing ignores any Hardness and Damage Reduction that has a value less than 15.

Paralysis (Ex): Those hit by a goat demon's horns attack must succeed on a DC 12 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I'm not super-fond of the illusory disguise for these, but I like the rest quite a lot!

That's okay, it's easy enough to change it to a "brutish" version that doesn't have the disguise or weapon use.

Come to think of it, that's a good idea. AD&D Ghouls only have Low Intelligence, so how about cutting the Goat-Demon's Int to 7 to match?

Oh, by the way, you may notice it has Strength 14 - I upped the Ghoul's Str a point since that's the Strength you'd get Advancing a Small Str 10 Goat to Medium.

EDIT: Changed the advancement from "by character class" to "3-4 HD (Medium)"

Goat Demon (Brutish)
Medium Undead (Extraplanar, Shapechanger)
Hit Dice: 2d12
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares) [40 ft. in goat form]
Armor Class: 17 (+2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+3
Attack: Horns +3 melee (1d8+3 plus paralysis)
Full Attack:
Horns +3 melee (1d8+3 plus paralysis) and 2 slams +1 melee (1d3+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Paralysis, inexorable gnawing
Special Qualities: Alternate form, darkvision 60 ft., undead traits, +2 turn resistance
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +5
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 15, Con –, Int 7, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills: Balance +2, Climb +3, Disguise +1* (+11 as living goat), Hide +4, Jump +3, Move Silently +4, Spot +4
Feats: Multiattack
Environment: Any land or The Abyss
Organization: Solitary or herd (2-24)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 3-4 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment:

Goat demons are a minor form of undead that originate from an unknown layer of the Abyss. They delight in the destruction of mankind. Some goat demons hope to work their way up the hierarchy of the damned by the corruption and damnation of living sapients, especially clerics, but few of these stupid brutes ever work any evil more sophisticated than the slaughter of the living and desecration of the dead. Goat Demons frequently chew their way into graves and tombs to defile and devour the contents.

Goat demons speak Abyssal and Common.

Combat

A goat demon usually tries to disguise itself as a stray goat and work its way close to a lone victim, then switch to goatman form and launch a surprise attack with its paralysing horns. If it succeeds it uses Inexorable Gnawing on its helpless victim. A herd of goat demons employs similar ambush tactics, masquerading as a lost flock of goats.

Goat demons are not brave creatures, they will switch to quadruped form and flee if wounded or outmatched.

Alternate Form (Su): A goat demon's natural form is that of a hideous decomposing goat, but it prefers to attack in its alternate form, a creature with the body of a hairy ghoul and the head of a goat (stats as above). A goat demon can switch from one form to the other with a swift action.

When in its true goat form the goat demon's Speed increases to 40 ft., but it loses the ability to wield weapons (or any other activity requiring hands). In this form the goat demon can disguise itself as a regular, living goat with a +10 bonus on its Disguise checks.

If slain, a goat demon reverts to its goat form and then dissolves into a pile of bones and putrescence.

Inexorable Gnawing (Ex): A goat demon can chew its way through almost anything with its powerful jaws and teeth. As a standard action, the goat demon can automatically do 2d6+3 damage to any immobile object, including victims of its Paralysis attack and opponents the goat demon has grappled and pinned. Inexorable Gnawing ignores any Hardness and Damage Reduction that has a value less than 15.

Paralysis (Ex): Those hit by a goat demon's horns attack must succeed on a DC 12 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
This works for me, or we can add the weapons back. Either way. The reduced Int is a nice idea.

I like it too. If we're dropping them back to dumb brute I should drop the "by character class" Advancement and put them back to standard HD advancement.

A standard ghoul has 3 HD (Medium) for Advancement, but I think I'll give them 3-4 HD (Medium) as a placeholder. I don't fancy them getting bigger like a Bodak, Mohrg or Mummy. If nothing else, it'll give us something else to argue about.:lol:

Then again, I think the illusory disguise is a neat and thematically appropriate ability, so I'm going to stat up a "Greater Goat Demon" that is an actual demon (e.g. an Evil Outsider) albeit a very minor one.

Hope to post it soon.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

I like the idea of tying them to actual demons. Lets take it a step further, and attribute them to Orcus (the demon prince of undeath). These would make nice companions to the artaagliths (goatlike demonic servants of Orcus from Ghostwalk).

Like the other Abyssal undead (abyssal ghoul, blood fiend), let's give 'em immunity to electricity, resistance to acid 20, cold 20, and fire 20, and perhaps spell resistance (the demon standard CR+8).

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

I like the idea of tying them to actual demons. Lets take it a step further, and attribute them to Orcus (the demon prince of undeath). These would make nice companions to the artaagliths (goatlike demonic servants of Orcus from Ghostwalk).

Orcus makes sense for a goat-ghoul demonic monster in D&D terms. I was trying to keep their origins vague so they might fit in somehow to Chinese myth, but we might as well pencil in Orcus as "Sages' speculation".

Like the other Abyssal undead (abyssal ghoul, blood fiend), let's give 'em immunity to electricity, resistance to acid 20, cold 20, and fire 20, and perhaps spell resistance (the demon standard CR+8).

That degree of resistance seems rather a lot for a 2 Hit Dice Undead, or are you talking about the True Demon version of the goat demon?

EDIT: Oh, and I can't believe I forgot their height and weight - " A typical goat demon is 5 to 6 feet tall and weighs between 100 and 200 pounds."?

Shade

Monster Junkie
That degree of resistance seems rather a lot for a 2 Hit Dice Undead, or are you talking about the True Demon version of the goat demon?

I was thinking this version would be the only one for the CC. I figured we'd leave a "true demon" variant as a "Cleon special edition". ;)

Anyway, we can tone down the amounts. A 2 HD dretch has immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, but lacks spell resistance.

So borrow the dretches values?

Remove ads