Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend

Looks good, but I would like to do something with this:

Reptilian gargantua live several hundred years. They choose mates within a few years of reaching maturity, and remain with them for the rest of their lives. A female reptilian gargantua gives birth to a single offspring once per century. The birth of a reptilian gargantua is marked by shattering thunderstorms that rock the skies over the territory of its parents for 101 days.

*SNIP*

As noted above, thunderstorms occur when a reptilian gargantua is born. If a dead creature of any kind is struck by a lightning bolt from such a storm, the bolt acts as resurrection spell.
Something like the following?

Natal Storm
Reptilian gargantua mate for life. The female gives birth to a single offspring once every century - some reptilian gargantua give live birth, while others lay giant eggs. The gestation takes 101 days and is accompanied by terrible thunderstorms over the reptilian gargantua's nest. At the moment of birth, great bolts of positive energy streak down from these thunderstorms to strike the newborn gargantua. If a dead creature of any kind is struck by one of these bolts (10% change if within 100 ft. of the birth), the bolt acts as resurrection spell. Any resurrected creatures risk being eaten by the newborn gargantua or destroyed by its protective parents.

At least one kingdom has stolen a reptilian gargantua egg and surrounded it with "lightning rods" in a bid to resurrect a whole army of creatures. So far, these experiments have ended in disaster when the egg's outraged parents arrived.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yeah, it sure is. Updated.

I believe we're finally ready for the next one!

Gargantua, Insectoid
FREQUENCY: Rare
NO. APPEARING: 1-3
ARMOR CLASS: 6
MOVE: 6"/36"(MC:E)
HIT DICE: 20
% IN LAIR: Nil
TREASURE TYPE: Nil
NO. OF ATTACKS: 21
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 3-30
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Regeneration
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
INTELLIGENCE: Low
ALIGNMENT Chaotic neutral-
SIZE: L (60')
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil
LEVEL/XP VALUE: Level X

This creature goes through several stages of growth. It begins life as a gigantic egg which soon hatches, revealing a gigantic larva. Starting life, it has 20 hit dice. In this form, it has the ability to shoot a strand of cocoon silk to a range of 60 feet. This silk is exceptionally strong and sticky, adhering to whatever it hits. Using this, the larva can entangle and immobilize creatures. A strand can be severed with 20 points of damage from an edged weapon, a successful bend bars/lift gates roll, or by monsters of 10 hit dice or more. The creature grows at a phenomenal rate, increasing 1 hit die per week. Upon attaining 25 hit dice, the larva spins a cocoon and enters into the pupae stage. It remains a pupae for 2d4 weeks, finally emerging as a gigantic moth with 30 hit dice. In this form the creature has lost the ability to spin silk. However, by flapping its wings it is able to create a huge windstorm. This storm is 6" wide and extends -24". All within the path of the storm must either be solidly anchored (tied to a boulder, etc.) or make a successful saving throw vs. death (at a -4 on the die). Those who fail the die roll are blown back 10 to 40 ", suffering 1d6 points of damage for every 1" blown. Insectoid gargantua are found in warm mountainous regions.

Originally appeared in Oriental Adventures (1985).

MC: Kara-Tur version...

Insectoid Gargantua
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Tropical, subtropical, and temperate mountains
FREQUENCY: Rare
ORGANIZATION: Solitary or mated pair
ACTIVE TIME: Any
DIET: Omnivore
INTELLIGENCE: Low (5-7)
TREASURE: Nil
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic neutral
NO. APPEARING: 1-3
ARMOR CLASS: 6
MOVEMENT: 6, Fl 36 (E)
HIT DICE: 20-30
THAC0: 5
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 3-30
SPECIAL ATTACKS: See below
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Regeneration
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: G (60' long)
MORALE: Elite (13)
XP VALUE: 20 HD: 14,000
30 HD: 24,000

Adult insectoid gargantua resemble immense moths. Their bodies are covered with fine fur, usually gray or black, and their wings bear colorful patterns in brilliant blue, red, yellow, and green. Their movements and other actions are accompanied by a piercing screech that sounds like a warning siren.

The insectoid gargantua begins life as a gigantic egg, which hatches to reveal a gigantic larva. This larval form has 20 HD. As a larva, the insectoid gargantua can shoot a strand of cocoon silk to a range of 60 feet. This silk is exceptionally strong and sticky, adhering to whatever it hits. With this silken strand, the larva can entangle and immobilize victims. A strand can be severed in three ways: with 20 points of damage from an edged weapon, a successful ``bend bars/lift gates'' roll, or by monsters of 10 HD or more.

The larval insectoid gargantua grows at a phenomenal rate, increasing 1 HD per week. Upon attaining 25 HD, the larva spins a cocoon and enters the pupal stage. It remains a pupa for 2-8 (2d4) weeks, finally emerging as an immense moth with 30 HD. In this form, the creature can no longer spin silk. However, by flapping its wings, it can create a huge windstorm, 60 feet wide and extending 240 feet ahead. To remain safe, everyone and everything within the path of the storm must be solidly anchored (e.g., tied to a boulder). Unanchored victims must make a saving throw vs. death with a -4 penalty. Those who fail their saving throw are blown back 10 to 40 feet, suffering 1d6 hit points of damage for every 10 feet blown.

Insectoid gargantua establish lairs in the valleys and caverns of warm, mountainous regions. They live for several hundred years. Females lay a single egg every decade, but there is only a 20% chance that any given egg is fertile.

These mothlike creatures eat all types of game and vegetation. They prefer mulberry trees, and in just a few hours, a hungry insectoid gargantua can consume an entire grove of them.

The silk of insectoid gargantua larvae can be woven into cloth from which magical robes are created.

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, it sure is. Updated.

Yay! And they're done.

I suppose it was appropriate that they were such a Gargantuan effort.

EDIT:
There's a "outhwestern" instead of "south-western" in Kara-Tur.

Oh, and the feats need a space in "Stand Still,Superior Initiative"
:ENDEDIT

I believe we're finally ready for the next one!

Gargantua, Insectoid

All together now,

Mosura ya Mosura
Dongan kasakuyan
Indo muu
Rusto uiraadoa
Hanba hanbamuyan
Randa banunraadan
Tounjyukanraa
Kasakuyanmu

So, we'll have to increase those Hit Dice for a start - double them to 40 HD?

Colossal Magical Beast I think.

Not sure about the ability scores. Advancing a Spider Eater to Colossal would seem a good start...

Spider Eater: Str 21, Dex 13, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10
Colossal Spider Eater: Str 45, Dex 11, Con 33, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 10

I'd increase the Dexterity to 15, like a Colossal Monstrous Spider - the big moth was fairly agile compared to the other kaiju.

Mothra Insectoid Gargantua have Low Intelligence but I would like them to be wise and beautiful creatures.

Same mental stats as the Reptilian? Intelligence 6, Wisdom 16, Charisma 22?

That makes:

Insectoid Gargantua: Str 45, Dex 15, Con 33, Int 6, Wis 16, Cha 22

Looks alright to me.

EDITED EDIT:
Of course, we'll need separate stats for the larva and moth form. Since the Moth has 30 HD, do we want to double that to make it similar to the Reptilian, or keep them weaker than the Big G by adding 50%.

I think I prefer +50% Hit dice, i.e.:

Larva - 30 HD Colossal Magical Beast
Adult - 45 HD Colossal Magical Beast

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
I'm fine with the Hit Dice and Ability score layout you've suggested, Cleon.

Okay then.

I'd do the Adult first and figure out the Larva later.

Since it doesn't say otherwise, I think they'd have the same fast healing we gave the Reptilian Gargantua.

Armour Class doesn't seem that spectacular, but should be better than the AD&D version. I'll start with +30 NA for the sake of argument, but we may need to increase it later.

How's this for a start:

Adult Insectoid Gargantua
Colossal Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 45d10+495 (742 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 100 ft. (clumsy)
Armor Class: 34 (-8 size, +2 Dex, +30 natural), touch 4, flat-footed 32
Base Attack/Grapple: +45/+78
Attack: Bite +54 melee (3d10+25)
Full Attack: Bite +54 melee (3d10+25)
Space/Reach: 40 ft./30 ft.
Special Attacks: Windstorm
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/epic, fast healing 20, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +35, Ref +26, Will +18
Abilities: Str 45, Dex 15, Con 33, Int 6, Wis 16, Cha 22
Skills: All in Spot?
Feats: Hover? Flyby Attack? Snatch?
Environment: Warm and temperate mountains
Organization: Solitary, mated pair or family (2 adults and 1 larva)
Challenge Rating: ?
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic neutral
Advancement: 46+ HD (Colossal) ?
Level Adjustment: —

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Please don't update your previous post to avoid confusion!

Light sensitivity seems a common ability among gargantua, so I retained that.

I'm also thinking we might want to keep crush and possibly trample, due to its massive size.

Another similar creature, the beacon moth (from Dragon Magazine #322), looks like this when advanced to Colossal:

Str 33, Dex 19, Con 22, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 16, +14 natural

We might consider boosting I.G.'s Dex a tad, based on that.

The beacon moth has a Climb speed of 20 ft., which I think we should give to I.G.

It also has these skill bonuses, if we want to borrow any...

Skills: A beacon moth gains a +8 racial bonus on all Listen and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks. Beacon moths can take 10 on Climb checks, even if threatened or distracted.

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

Please don't update your previous post to avoid confusion!

What if I'm trying to confuse you?:)

Light sensitivity seems a common ability among gargantua, so I retained that.

I don't see any mention of sensitivity to light in either of the Insectoid's descriptions, so I'd cut it out.

I'm also thinking we might want to keep crush and possibly trample, due to its massive size.

How about Crush for the adult (it flies down and lands on them) and Trample for the Larva (it crawls over them).

Another similar creature, the beacon moth (from Dragon Magazine #322), looks like this when advanced to Colossal:

Str 33, Dex 19, Con 22, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 16, +14 natural

We might consider boosting I.G.'s Dex a tad, based on that.

The beacon moth has a Climb speed of 20 ft., which I think we should give to I.G.

Feel free to from another 2 or 4 points of Dexterity in the pot if you like.

Climb speed's OK too.

I'm also wondering about increasing its fly speed to 150 or 200 ft., like most of the larger True Dragons.

It also has these skill bonuses, if we want to borrow any...

Skills: A beacon moth gains a +8 racial bonus on all Listen and Spot checks and a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks. Beacon moths can take 10 on Climb checks, even if threatened or distracted.

Those all would suit me.

Shade

Monster Junkie
What if I'm trying to confuse you?:)

Don't make me use personal mind blank. :yawn:

I don't see any mention of sensitivity to light in either of the Insectoid's descriptions, so I'd cut it out.

<rereads> You're right, I was mistaken. Excising...

How about Crush for the adult (it flies down and lands on them) and Trample for the Larva (it crawls over them).

That makes perfect sense.

Feel free to from another 2 or 4 points of Dexterity in the pot if you like.

Will do.

I'm also wondering about increasing its fly speed to 150 or 200 ft., like most of the larger True Dragons.

Let's do that. I think I prefer 150 ft.

Remove ads