Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Shade

Monster Junkie
How's this?

Toss (Ex): A humanoid gargantua can fling a grappled creature in a random direction. Resolve the toss as a bull rush maneuver (+36 check modifier), except that there is no attack of opportunity, since the humanoid gargantua has already grabbed its foe when it tries to toss the victim. The humanoid gargantua does not need to move with its foe in order to to throw its foe more than 5 feet. The victim is tossed 100 feet plus 10 feet per point by which the gargantua's bull rush check exceeds the victim's check. If the tossed victim beats the humanoid gargantua's bull rush check, he remains in his current square with no ill effects and is not grappled any longer. Tossed victims take impact damage on landing as if they had fallen a distance equal to the distance they were tossed.

Cleon

Legend
How's this?

Toss (Ex): A humanoid gargantua can fling a grappled creature in a random direction. Resolve the toss as a bull rush maneuver (+36 check modifier), except that there is no attack of opportunity, since the humanoid gargantua has already grabbed its foe when it tries to toss the victim. The humanoid gargantua does not need to move with its foe in order to to throw its foe more than 5 feet. The victim is tossed 100 feet plus 10 feet per point by which the gargantua's bull rush check exceeds the victim's check. If the tossed victim beats the humanoid gargantua's bull rush check, he remains in his current square with no ill effects and is not grappled any longer. Tossed victims take impact damage on landing as if they had fallen a distance equal to the distance they were tossed.

I was thinking something simpler, with just one bull rush check and a set range of damage.

Let's see, the Humanoid does 4d10+20 with its slam, or 42 points on average. That's also the average of 12d6. So how about:

Toss (Ex): A humanoid gargantua can toss a grappled creature of up to Large size. Resolve the toss as a bull rush maneuver (+36 check modifier), except that there is no attack of opportunity, since the humanoid gargantua has already grabbed its foe. If the tossed victim beats the humanoid gargantua's bull rush check, it remains in its current square with no ill effects and is not grappled any longer. The humanoid gargantua can toss its victim to any square within 120 ft., the target square is normally random. If the gargantua wishes to toss its victim into a specific square it must hit an AC equal to the tossed opponent's bull rush check. The tossed victim takes 12d6 damage (as if it had fallen 120 feet). Any creature in the target square will also take 12d6 damage, but is entitled to a DC X Reflex save for half damage.

We also need to stat up the Boulder Smash. I don't much like the DC = attack roll bit, I'd prefer a fixed value. How about...

Boulder Smash (Ex): A humanoid gargantua can hurl a Gargantuan boulder (20 ft. by 20 ft.), potentially hitting or dispersing multiple targets, at a range increment of 120 feet. To throw a boulder, the gargantua must target a 20-foot-square area and hit AC 15. A success means that creatures and objects in the target area must make a Reflex save (DC 36) or take 8d8+30 points of damage. If a creature in the target area succeeds on the save, it moves 5 feet backward or to the side, though if it cannot move out of the area it takes half damage. The save DC is Dex-based.

Since we've given it boulder smash and toss, we might as well give the big guy standard 2H rock throwing as well.

Rock Throwing (Ex): A humanoid gargantua can throw rocks weighing up to 5000 pounds with a range increment of 180 feet.

Attacks: rock +38 ranged (5d8+20)

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm OK with not basing the distance of toss off the check result, but I think the damage should vary like falling damage. The gargantua should have the option of hurling someone only 10 feet, but shouldn't deal 12d6 damage for that short trip.

Boulder smash looks OK.

If we're giving 'em rock throwing, might as well throwin in rock catching too.

Cleon

Legend
I'm OK with not basing the distance of toss off the check result, but I think the damage should vary like falling damage. The gargantua should have the option of hurling someone only 10 feet, but shouldn't deal 12d6 damage for that short trip.

The Humanoid doesn't have to gently toss a victim to make them travel a short distance, it can hurl them into the ground 5 feet away with as much force as it takes to throw them 120 feet.

I don't mind adding the option of a "gentle throw" if you prefer.

e.g.:

Toss (Ex): A humanoid gargantua can toss a grappled creature of up to Large size. Resolve the toss as a bull rush maneuver (+36 check modifier), except that there is no attack of opportunity, since the humanoid gargantua has already grabbed its foe. If the tossed victim beats the humanoid gargantua's bull rush check, it remains in its current square with no ill effects and is not grappled any longer. The humanoid gargantua can toss its victim to any square within 120 ft., the target square is normally random. If the gargantua wishes to toss its victim into a specific square it must hit an AC equal to the tossed opponent's bull rush check. The tossed victim takes 12d6 damage (as if it had fallen 120 feet). Any creature in the target square will also take 12d6 damage, but is entitled to a DC X Reflex save for half damage.

A humanoid gargantua can opt to gently toss a creature to do less damage, but it can not throw a creature more than 10 ft. for every d6 of damage done by the toss.

Boulder smash looks OK.

If we're giving 'em rock throwing, might as well throwin in rock catching too.

Throw in rock catching too if you like.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
You mean like this?

Toss (Ex): A humanoid gargantua can toss a grappled creature of up to Large size. Resolve the toss as a bull rush maneuver (+36 check modifier), except that there is no attack of opportunity, since the humanoid gargantua has already grabbed its foe. If the tossed victim beats the humanoid gargantua's bull rush check, it remains in its current square with no ill effects and is not grappled any longer. The humanoid gargantua can toss its victim to any square within 120 ft., the target square is normally random. If the gargantua wishes to toss its victim into a specific square it must hit an AC equal to the tossed opponent's bull rush check. Tossed victims take impact damage on landing as if they had fallen a distance equal to the distance they were tossed. Any creature in the target square will also take the same damage but is entitled to a DC X Reflex save for half damage. The save DC is Str-based.

Edit: Or Cleon's version. I that thought about the "soft toss," but then I noticed that the target square is random, so it seems like the gargantua isn't really controlling the strength of the toss.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's just cut out the random aspect and let it select the square. If you wish to require an attack roll, go with the usual AC 10 for targeting a space, using the splash weapons table to determine where it goes on a miss.

freyar

Ok, let's do that and leave in the gentle tossing line, though it doesn't seem like the gargantua's going to take that option much. ;)

Cleon

Legend
Let's just cut out the random aspect and let it select the square. If you wish to require an attack roll, go with the usual AC 10 for targeting a space, using the splash weapons table to determine where it goes on a miss.

It should definitely be able to do 12d6 damage whether it hurls a foe 120 ft. away or 5 ft. I don't like the "Tossed victims take impact damage on landing as if they had fallen a distance equal to the distance they were tossed" at all.

It just seems physically wrong.

Shade

Monster Junkie
It should definitely be able to do 12d6 damage whether it hurls a foe 120 ft. away or 5 ft. I don't like the "Tossed victims take impact damage on landing as if they had fallen a distance equal to the distance they were tossed" at all.

It just seems physically wrong.

I'm not following? A tossed creature can't hit terminal velocity from 10 feet away, can it? Mechanically, this is how snatch works as well.

If you'd rather avoid using a modified toss, we can simply borrow the mountain giant's fling...

Fling (Ex): A mountain giant who sucessfully grapples a foe two or more size categories smaller than itself can hurl the creature as a standard action. A flung creature travels up to 120 feet and takes 12d6 points of damage. A creature that is flung off a mountain takes this amount of damage or the appropriate falling damage, whichever is greater. The giant also can throw the flung creature as though it were a boulder. In this case, the flung creature takes 12d6+16 points of damage, and any opponent it strikes takes 4d8+16 points of damage.

freyar

Well, Cleon's saying that the gargantua could just slam the creature down, so it leaves the gargantua's hand at the same velocity already as it would if thrown a long distance. By that logic, the two cases should lead to the same damage. I think Fling would actually be the appropriate ability for what Cleon wants.

Remove ads