Can you spend DM credit just before retiring a PC?

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
I intend to retire Kendrick after his one adventure. I had a nice start but I became disenchanted with his lack of uniqueness. I am a bit of an individualist and I am very disappointed that he doesn't stand out at all in L4W. Yeah, I should I have though about it before, I know.

There are way more two-weapon rangers active than I previously thought. I am not even the only human ranger. And his ruthless mercenary attitude is all too common. Not too mention there are strikers everywhere. Very bland, after all. I love playing this kind of character in my home game and sure, I have a cool background in mind... but in PbP it's the most immediate and obvious characteristic that comes into play the most. This ain't a novel.

I am going to replace him with a warforged... Nah, just kidding. I will replace him with a good aligned tiefling fighter. And not a battlerager or future pit fighter either! Nor will he be a rip-off of Hellboy; I won't model my RP after him. I already have dozens of ready-to-go quip that plays off his infernal nature and good alignment. I feel he has more RP hook and will be just more fun in the snapshot nature of a PbP. More importantly, I will be satisfied that there are no PC like him in L4W.

So... Kendrick will probably be level 2 midway to level 3. Can I spend DM credit to take him to an even level 3 before retiring him?

Last edited:

Kalidrev

First Post
I don't really see any problem with it, though I do have a question...

What would be the difference if you were to retire said PC and THEN used your DM credits? Would you be losing out on anything?

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
I don't really see any problem with it, though I do have a question...

What would be the difference if you were to retire said PC and THEN used your DM credits? Would you be losing out on anything?

I'd lose some XP because when you start a new PC you start at the beginning of your level. I.E: Let's say I have 1625 XP. I need 6 DM credit to reach level 3. If I retire first, I now have 1000 XP and need 12 DM credit to reach level 3.

If you carried your exact XP from a PC to the next, this wouldn't be an issue.

THB said:
Um, these two sentences seem to be in opposition with each other.

There is more than one way to play off one subject. You'd never hear Hellboy dissert on the difference between having Devil or Demon blood, for example. And Hellboy isn't particularly playful or fun loving, unlike my planned PC.

Last edited:

Kalidrev

First Post
The loss of XP is true, but is this specific loss enough to prevent you from attaining a particular level? If not, then I would think it better to simply retire the PC and avoid the loss of any future XP that you earn in the adventure. Then you can create a new PC and use the DM credits to boost him to the same level you would have been at anyway?

renau1g

First Post
I'm going it with Blade as well (like I mentioned earlier) as he is currently at 1800-ish xp so it takes 4 credits to bump him up to 3 before I retire. You lose the gold portion, but in PbP I find the xp is worth more than the gold.

Remove ads