WotC Layoffs - Rob Heinsoo, Logan Bonner, and Chris Sims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkfathr1

First Post
Are you declining to purchase products and services from all other businesses doing layoffs? As in, are you simply not buying anything at all these days?

I don't get this attitude that people should try to harm the companies that produce the things they like the most. You do understand that if you were successful, your success would be measured in yet more game designers being laid off, right?

Oh, the layoffs are not the entirety of it at all, they're just the icing on the cake. I have many reasons not to buy from WoTC anymore. See, they don't produce the things I like the most. But thanks for trying to totally describe my motives for me.

I don't get the attitude of people that don't understand that others don't think the same way they do.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
I'm sad to hear you guys let go. Chris is a great DM, evident through the Podcasts, and the calmest voice around.

While, I'm sure Chris Sims is a great DM too, are you talking about the D&D/Penny Arcade Podcasts? That's Chris Perkins, who IIRC is not laid off.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
that is my Xmas wish.

At the moment, my X-mas wish is that people learn to use a bit of decorum in threads dealing with the misfortune of others.

How about we cut back on the snarkiness and rudeness. It fails to make your point, folks.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Having worked where layoffs happened more than once, my sympathies to both those that lost their jobs, and those that will now work harder/more.

Also, as annoyed as we all feel, I can't see not buying product from a company that lays off people. Usually it is done so the company can survive. I suppose they could just keep all the people, not make a profit, and shut done. Also, pretty much every part of every big company has experienced layoffs. There wouldn't be many products you could buy if you never bought from a company that did layoffs.

It sucks getting laid off. It sucks sitting in your cube, not having the same friends to work with, and taking on their work (thought usually not as much as getting laid off). It all sucks.

Nathal

Explorer
...the ones who are left will probably be gone sooner or later and replaced by newer employees who are brought in at lower salaries. It's a despicable practice, absolutely unconscionable, but it's become par for the course since WotC was sold to Hasbro. Personally, I've taken to giving my gaming dollars to companies that don't fire their senior talent every year.

Job seekers are always well advised to check out a company's turnover, and check out the prevailing working conditions for its employees. Getting a job at WOTC sounds to me like gambling with your financial welfare, a risk much greater than many other industries. WOTC interviewers should warn prospective employees, "by the way, Mr. Talent, you're quite expendable. Like a burger flipper really, so if we hire you, I wouldn't get to cozy. At the end of the year we'll roll a D20 and must Save Versus Layoff...that's our annual policy. So do you want the job?"

I've read the same goes for the entire field of journalism right now. This is not a Golden Age for talented, professional writers seeking dependable corporate employment!

diaglo

Adventurer
for some personal stories about the purchase of TSR by WotC back in 1997. check out the 30th anniversary coffee table book. look for the ones by (T)Ed Stark, Harold Johnson, and Peter Adkison. edit: they are somewhat related to this thread as it discusses layoffs and such.

edit3: also on a related note. last year's list is:
Randy Buehler (VP of digital gaming)
Andrew Finch (director of digital games)
Stacy Longstreet (senior art director)
Julia Martin (editor)
William Meyers (creative manager, digital design)
Dave Noonan (game designer)
Jennifer Paige (online community manager)
Jennifer Powers (marketing)
Jonathan Tweet (game designer)

Last edited:

AllisterH

First Post
Job seekers are always well advised to check out a company's turnover, and check out the prevailing working conditions for its employees. Getting a job at WOTC sounds to me like gambling with your financial welfare, a risk much greater than many other industries. WOTC interviewers should warn prospective employees, "by the way, Mr. Talent, you're quite expendable. Like a burger flipper really, so if we hire you, I wouldn't get to cozy. At the end of the year we'll roll a D20 and must Save Versus Layoff...that's our annual policy. So do you want the job?"

I've read the same goes for the entire field of journalism right now. This is not a Golden Age for talented, professional writers seeking dependable corporate employment!

Quite True...

But like I said before, given WOTC's payscale (assumption on my part that WOTC is paying more than say Goodman games) plus benefits (which I imagine many of the other RPG companies can't afford and Hasbro has always had a quite nice benefits package), for a 2-3 year stint, it might be worth it.

diaglo

Adventurer
This is probably a far-fetched request, but it would be great for the news if anyone had a list of notable people both laid off and hired from WotC in the last ten years (with approximate dates). It would give a great insight into the pattern.

i'll see what i can find on google, Wotc, Paizo, and here.

so far i've bumped a few tidbits.

Mike Mearls was hired around aug 2007.
there is a post over at Goodman Games from 2002 that talks about the 100+ let go around Gen Con time from WotC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads