WotC Layoffs - Rob Heinsoo, Logan Bonner, and Chris Sims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
It looks like the remaining overworked WotC full-time D&D designers left are Mike Mearls, James Wyatt, Rich Baker, Bruce Cordell working on the following 4E titles in 2010:

Mike Mearls - Psionic Power, Demonomicon, Monster Manual 3, PH Races: Tieflings, Hammerfast, Player's Handbook 3

Bruce Cordell - Dark Sun Creature Catalog

James Wyatt - D&D Player's Strategy Guide, PH Races: Dragonborn

Rich Baker - Dark Sun Campaign Guide, Dark Sun Creature Catalog, Marauders of the Dune Sea, Martial Power 2
All these titles are already in the bag, mostly, just FYI. I contributed considerably to the Dark Sun books.

Considering the state of the 3pp business today, what companies other than WotC are likely to hire fulltime? Goodman Games perhaps?
My response to this is way off topic, so I forked it here.

Aristotle

First Post
Probably too deep in the thread to be noticed, but for the people who criticize my decision to not buy the game anymore (and citing that the layoffs were a factor in that decision). I made that decision based on the layoffs that happened directly after 3rd edition was released, and then again directly after 4th edition was released. Those are not hard times for the company. A new, well received, edition with 3 base books means a large influx of cash.

I don't think WotC is evil. I do think I dislike their business practices. There are certainly game companies out there that seem much more loyal to their designers. Sure, even they sometimes have to drop someone.. but it's uaully pretty obvious why.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I´m interested in that. Can you name two or three game companies that let staff go, and how the reasons were more transparent than at Wotc?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I´m interested in that.

Ditto. In fact, I can't think of any other game company whose employee hiring and firing has generated so much public scrutiny. A not insignificant number of people seem to be really fixated on the decisions of WotC's HR department every year to the point that it's almost like listening to sports announcers call a football game.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I´m interested in that. Can you name two or three game companies that let staff go, and how the reasons were more transparent than at Wotc?

Not many game companies have staff at the scale that WotC does; freelancers and contractors are very commonly used in the industry.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Oh, the layoffs are not the entirety of it at all, they're just the icing on the cake. I have many reasons not to buy from WoTC anymore. See, they don't produce the things I like the most. But thanks for trying to totally describe my motives for me.

I don't get the attitude of people that don't understand that others don't think the same way they do.

I think an awful lot of the people doing the complaining in this thread and "threatening" to stop buying WOTC products were already not buying WOTC products any longer. And therefore the claim that this was the event that tipped the scales does not seem to hold much water. I think for some this is just another opportunity to rant about a past decision, and try and recruit others to that cause, and not a new decision for many.

You can not like the same things that I like, and think differently than I do. I just hope people are not pretending that they were still buying WOTC products up until this layoff but now are not because of the layoff, when in reality they made the decision to stop buying WOTC products before this event.

And, as I said, I don't like it when people ignore other layoffs in companies they do frequently buy from because it's not the industry they care about, while punishing the industry they do care about. It seems like a backwards way to go about it, or at best inconsistent behavior.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Getting a job at WOTC sounds to me like gambling with your financial welfare, a risk much greater than many other industries.

It's the worst recession of our lifetimes. Almost o industry or company is safe. Saying that, right now, seems pretty silly to me. Just getting a job at any company, much less WOTC, is pretty hard to do right now. And you think people should not try to get that job because the company has a history of laying people off? Really? You think that right now, in this economy, is a sound decision?

Do you think there are hordes of "safe" jobs out there right now for writers, in any industry? I don't. Writing is rarely a "safe" job even in good times. But right now? It's all "unsafe".

Last edited:

Shroomy

Adventurer
I'm saddened by the news and hope that everyone affected by the layoffs gets back on their feet as soon as possible.

Drkfathr1

First Post
I think an awful lot of the people doing the complaining in this thread and "threatening" to stop buying WOTC products were already not buying WOTC products any longer. And therefore the claim that this was the event that tipped the scales does not seem to hold much water. I think for some this is just another opportunity to rant about a past decision, and try and recruit others to that cause, and not a new decision for many.

You can not like the same things that I like, and think differently than I do. I just hope people are not pretending that they were still buying WOTC products up until this layoff but now are not because of the layoff, when in reality they made the decision to stop buying WOTC products before this event.

And, as I said, I don't like it when people ignore other layoffs in companies they do frequently buy from because it's not the industry they care about, while punishing the industry they do care about. It seems like a backwards way to go about it, or at best inconsistent behavior.

Well, I can't speak for others, but I'm not "threatening" to stop buying, I have stopped, and never claimed it was because of this round of layoffs. This round of layoffs just continue to affirm the decisions I've made in the past.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Ditto. In fact, I can't think of any other game company whose employee hiring and firing has generated so much public scrutiny. A not insignificant number of people seem to be really fixated on the decisions of WotC's HR department every year to the point that it's almost like listening to sports announcers call a football game.

I've seen a lot of talk in some quarters about layoffs at Palladium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads