WotC Layoffs - Rob Heinsoo, Logan Bonner, and Chris Sims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Well, I can't speak for others, but I'm not "threatening" to stop buying, I have stopped, and never claimed it was because of this round of layoffs. This round of layoffs just continue to affirm the decisions I've made in the past.

You never claimed it, but you did imply it.

You said it gave you even more reason to no longer support WOTC, as if you built up to a new decision now to not support them, with this event being one of the factors in that new decision. You wouldn't need "more" reason to make a decision that you already made a while ago.

You then said the layoffs were not the entirety of it at all, but that they were "the icing on the cake". As if the layoffs represented the final tipping point for you. There is no icing on the cake if the cake was consumed 6 months ago. Icing on the cake again implied a new decision was made as a result of a final event.

I guessed you had stopped buying WOTC products a while ago, but was not sure. You sure seemed to be implying this was some sort of crossing point for your decision, but now it sounds like it was not.

Had they not done this lay-off, would that have called into question your decision? I doubt it. I hope you are not using this layoff to make yourself feel better about, or gloat about, your prior decision to not support WOTC. It seems to me that does a disservice to the people who just got laid off, to use their misfortune like that.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I've seen a lot of talk in some quarters about layoffs at Palladium.

Really? I thought that Palladium had quit using full-time game designers some time ago (i.e., I'm pretty certain that Erick Wujcik was the last of the lot), instead contracting projects out to freelancers. :confused:

Shemeska

Adventurer
Had they not done this lay-off, would that have called into question your decision? I doubt it. I hope you are not using this layoff to make yourself feel better about, or gloat about, your prior decision to not support WOTC. It seems to me that does a disservice to the people who just got laid off, to use their misfortune like that.

That's an incredibly low accusation to be making Mistwell. Seriously dude.

Rechan

Adventurer
As an aside. I personally would love to work at WotC, even for just six months. It'd be like going to work for Google. But more RPG-y.

Last edited:

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
Working at Wizards is largely great, so nobody should hesitate if he or she has the chance to do so. The people are fantastic, across the departments from R&D to brand. And I personally think most of the RPG R&D people are mad geniuses of one sort or another. RPG R&D is full of persons funny, snarky, creative, and with a real love of D&D and games. What I'll miss the most is being around that bunch of folks every day.

Drkfathr1

First Post
You never claimed it, but you did imply it.

You said it gave you even more reason to no longer support WOTC, as if you built up to a new decision now to not support them, with this event being one of the factors in that new decision. You wouldn't need "more" reason to make a decision that you already made a while ago.

You then said the layoffs were not the entirety of it at all, but that they were "the icing on the cake". As if the layoffs represented the final tipping point for you. There is no icing on the cake if the cake was consumed 6 months ago. Icing on the cake again implied a new decision was made as a result of a final event.

I guessed you had stopped buying WOTC products a while ago, but was not sure. You sure seemed to be implying this was some sort of crossing point for your decision, but now it sounds like it was not.

Wow, thanks for ascribing motives to what I post. Do I attack your opinions/positions or make thinly-veiled personal attacks on you?

Them not laying off workers, or even paying out big bonuses to all their workers WOULD have moved them up a notch in my opinion, and would have been a step towards regaining my business/support.

But since you obviously know me so well why don't you just continue to tell me what I really mean.

mxyzplk

Explorer
Best wishes to the laid-off.

In terms of "who's hiring" - Mongoose and Paizo are both growing and adding on positions from time to time. Louis Porter, Jr (LPJ Design) has even immediately offered a freelance gig to the WotC victims.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Good luck to the latest group to fall victim to WotC's Christmas surprise. :(

I have bought no WotC since the whole OGL/GSL changeover, and I don't think that is likely to change. I am not going to say 'they are dead to me' (actually, I am, but just because I like the way that sounds... :p ), but I have lost any respect or liking for the company, so why would I want to support them? At this time I don't like their third party policies, I don't like their products, and I don't like the way they treat their people.

There are too many alternatives that do not irritate me in this fashion, so those other companies are getting my business. (Paizo, Crafty, Blue Moon Manufacturing, World Works Games, etc. etc. etc.... Trust me, I have no shortage of places to spend my gaming dollar.)

The Auld Grump

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Folks,

You know how we often warn that you shouldn't make arguments personal? Well, now would be an excellent time to exercise just that sort of restraint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads