WotC Layoffs - Rob Heinsoo, Logan Bonner, and Chris Sims - Page 3
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Eternal Optimist SILVER DEFENDER
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 11 Reviews
    D&D Adventurer's LeagueGreyhawkD&DDoctor WhoI Defended The Walls!

Block MerricB

Friend+
    I'm so sorry to hear that those three are no longer at Wizards. They've all done great work and they'll be missed.
    Merric Blackman
    Merric's Musings - reviews, session reports, play advice
    The Great List of D&D 5E Adventures

Do we have any sort of confirmation on this? It fits the pattern of lay offs, but I'm going to be a doubting thomas until we get confirmation from a named source.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustrum_Ridcully View Post
    I suppose they use dice to determine who goes?

And why pre-Christmas? Note that there is any good time for it, but why Christmas exactly? Do they avoid giving some Christmas bonus? Or because they already got one?
    Probably because the Christmas season is the absolutely most important season for a toy/game company like Hasbro. Once the retailer pre-orders are in for the season, it's time to cut down until it is time to gear up again for next year's season.

And similarly, since it is those pre-orders that make or break the year, it's also at that time that you can evaluate the year and decide on how high your stake for the next one is going to be.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block ggroy

Friend+
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Tuft View Post
    Probably because the Christmas season is the absolutely most important season for a toy/game company like Hasbro. Once the retailer pre-orders are in for the season, it's time to cut down until it is time to gear up again for next year's season.

And similarly, since it is those pre-orders that make or break the year, it's also at that time that you can evaluate the year and decide on how high your stake for the next one is going to be.
    Wonder how well "black friday" turned out this year for Hasbro and other toy companies.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Aristotle

Friend+
    Most companies have to downsize now and again, but the trend at WoTC has not set right with me since just after 3rd edition launched and a lot of great people got cut out. Luckily, for these newest names, their time at WoTC often gives them enough clout within the industry to allow them to find or create work for themselves.

I stopped collecting 4th Edition months ago, after having been a fan early on, and have no intention of playing again. I have a lot of reasons for that, but the way WoTC treats their talent... that was a factor for me. I'd rather not support a game or company that is run like that.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Haffrung Helleyes

Friend+
    My communities:

Well

If you want to do something for these people, support Paizo -- they seem to hire quite a few victims of the annual WoTC layoffs.

Ken

Superhero (Lvl 15)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block Shemeska

Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by ggroy View Post
    Wonder how well "black friday" turned out this year for Hasbro and other toy companies.
    If there were to be any, I was expecting any layoffs to come in January, pending the results of holiday sales. This came early and it sucks for all involved.

Hopefully we'll see them picked up by other companies or continue on as freelancers.

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block jaerdaph

Friend+
    My communities:

Sorry to hear about anyone losing their job.

The timing as always sucks (Christmas etc.), but it is the end of the fiscal year for many companies, which is why these things usually happen now.

I wish them the best of luck.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Block hexgrid

Friend+
    My communities:

Given the history, Christmas must be a pretty tense time of year at the WotC offices. It would suck to work in that kind of environment.

Just searching around for some kind of confirmation of this rumor, I found this:

If you are in Seattle, you can go down to the Barnes and Noble and ask Rob himself about it...
    Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (PH Holiday Bundle Signing)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast