WotC Layoffs - Rob Heinsoo, Logan Bonner, and Chris Sims

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm so sorry to hear that those three are no longer at Wizards. They've all done great work and they'll be missed.

filthgrinder

First Post
Do we have any sort of confirmation on this? It fits the pattern of lay offs, but I'm going to be a doubting thomas until we get confirmation from a named source.

Tuft

First Post
I suppose they use dice to determine who goes?

And why pre-Christmas? Note that there is any good time for it, but why Christmas exactly? Do they avoid giving some Christmas bonus? Or because they already got one?

Probably because the Christmas season is the absolutely most important season for a toy/game company like Hasbro. Once the retailer pre-orders are in for the season, it's time to cut down until it is time to gear up again for next year's season.

And similarly, since it is those pre-orders that make or break the year, it's also at that time that you can evaluate the year and decide on how high your stake for the next one is going to be.

ggroy

First Post
Probably because the Christmas season is the absolutely most important season for a toy/game company like Hasbro. Once the retailer pre-orders are in for the season, it's time to cut down until it is time to gear up again for next year's season.

And similarly, since it is those pre-orders that make or break the year, it's also at that time that you can evaluate the year and decide on how high your stake for the next one is going to be.

Wonder how well "black friday" turned out this year for Hasbro and other toy companies.

Aristotle

First Post
Most companies have to downsize now and again, but the trend at WoTC has not set right with me since just after 3rd edition launched and a lot of great people got cut out. Luckily, for these newest names, their time at WoTC often gives them enough clout within the industry to allow them to find or create work for themselves.

I stopped collecting 4th Edition months ago, after having been a fan early on, and have no intention of playing again. I have a lot of reasons for that, but the way WoTC treats their talent... that was a factor for me. I'd rather not support a game or company that is run like that.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Wonder how well "black friday" turned out this year for Hasbro and other toy companies.

If there were to be any, I was expecting any layoffs to come in January, pending the results of holiday sales. This came early and it sucks for all involved.

Hopefully we'll see them picked up by other companies or continue on as freelancers.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Sorry to hear about anyone losing their job. :(

The timing as always sucks (Christmas etc.), but it is the end of the fiscal year for many companies, which is why these things usually happen now.

I wish them the best of luck.

hexgrid

Explorer
Given the history, Christmas must be a pretty tense time of year at the WotC offices. It would suck to work in that kind of environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases