Adventure: Love Bites

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Trying to answer a bunch of questions here; if I missed yours I apologize and please remind me, eh?

HMG: Yes, Mikara's passive perception beats the gnome's stealth roll, and she can read the sblock (which I botched the formatting of, sorry) that says what square he's in. I think only Hacker doesn't have enough PP to check it. As for its stealth before the beginning of combat, I could handwave that and mumble something about taking 10 and circumstance bonuses for you guys talking, but really it's more about Rule of Cool. I could have gone to the trouble of tweaking his stealth skill to make sure that taking 10 beat your passive perceptions, but what's the point? In designing the encounter I wanted him to be hidden at the start, so he was.

KenHood: I make the Concerted effort bonus to be +2 now. Atreus and Tristan aren't targets for the spell, since you didn't have LOE to them at the time of casting. Woe's hit from Blunder doesn't add to the bonus, since "Whenever a target hits with at least one attack during his or her turn, the bonus increases by 1". I don't think that affects any of the attacks made so far, though.

Dunamin: I think your math is right, the human w/halberd drops. As for disarming or sundering weapons... You can use minor actions to pick up unattended objects, such as the weapons of unconscious enemies, or move actions to kick them away. Or you can attack the weapon to attempt to sunder it according to DMG p.65, but that seems likely to be a waste of a standard action. For instance, a halberd as a medium sized item would have AC 5 and 20 HP (if you attack the wood part; 60 if you attack the head.)

[/sblock]

nerdytenor

First Post
The hideous wolf-beast that is Kathalia pads toward the dwarf with terrifying speed, swiping with her paws before rushing headlong toward the elf, chomping and cutting in a horrific display. Her prey are left reeling from the ferocity of her attack, while some part of Mikara finds the display strangely comforting.

// Move to O7 the smart way (no opp attack). Predators flurry on dwarf misses, then shift 4 squares west for second attack hits elf for 10 damage. Going to burn elven accuracy and reroll attack against the dwarf - it hits.(Looking up the original roll the damage was 8 against the dwarf). Because she hit with Elven accuracy, Mikara spends a surge (no extra healing though). Both targets are dazed till end of K's next turn.

She lets out a horrific wail, striking terror into the dwarf nearby

// Minor action - use armor power to give dwarf -2 to attack until end of Kathalia's next turn

[sblock=Kathalia Stat Block]

Kathalia, Elf Druid 3
Passive Perception 22, Passive Insight 15
AC 19, Fort 14, Reflex 17, Will 17
HP 27/36 Bloodied 18, Surge Value 9, Surges 9/9
Speed 8, Initiative +5
Action Points: 1

Current Effects
wolf form

Encounter Resources
Darting Bite
USED Predator's Flurry
USED Elven Accuracy (+ feat)
USED Screaming Hide Armor
Second Wind
Use Action Point

Daily Resources
Healing Word
Amulet of Resolution
Fleet Persuit
USED Fires of Life
[/sblock]

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
[sblock=Team Combo coming up]
Isn't the halberdier already down? When Covaithe updated he had taken 30 damage, then Hacker hit him for 13, Woe for 7, and Mikara for 60. That totals 110 damage and he only got 106 hp.[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]Oh yeah. I forgot. Sorry. Guess the girl doesn't know her own strength.[/sblock]
[sblock=Team Combo]And holy cr** that your ranger of yours is nasty H.M. Gimlord!
[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]Yep. Don't mess with Mik![/sblock]
Mikara spends a surge....[sblock=Kathalia Stat Block]
[sblock=OOC]...and none too soon. Thanks for the 8 points. I was debating whether or not to spend the AP on SW or the C&R. Glad it turned out this way. One down, 4 to go![/sblock][sblock=Cov]Thanks for clarification on the Gnome's location. I retconned the movement to avoid an OA. I didn't quite decipher the sblock until you mentioned it. I just didn't want to end up next to the guy.[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]
Dunamin: I think your math is right, the human w/halberd drops. As for disarming or sundering weapons... You can use minor actions to pick up unattended objects, such as the weapons of unconscious enemies, or move actions to kick them away. Or you can attack the weapon to attempt to sunder it according to DMG p.65, but that seems likely to be a waste of a standard action. For instance, a halberd as a medium sized item would have AC 5 and 20 HP (if you attack the wood part; 60 if you attack the head.)
I think that what Dunamin was getting at was whether or not we could flavor "knocking unconscious" as disarming or sundering, so that they're out of the fight despite having a healer.

On the other hand, we could just say they've been knocked out so thoroughly that the elf can't rescusitate them mid-battle, or something to that effect.[/sblock]

Dunamin

First Post
What the hells? Woe thinks back over his recent skirmishes. Its almost like cosmic forces conspire in every battle to give me warm loving embraces with the ground.

“So now it seems I am to spend more time horizontal than not, on the battlefield as well.”

The warrior pushes himself up from the ground and clears his throat. He dusts a few specks off his shoulder while leaving the larger layers of dirt.

“Hey, Azer-Imitator,” he calls out the dwarf. “You know what they say about dwarves that play with fire... They learn to shave.”

Woe spins his shield like a discus while the dwarf mulls over his words, sending it flying at a low turning angle and catching his opponent off-guard. It impacts solidly with the dwarf’s chin, cutting through a patch of beard to give him a comically exaggerated cleft chin.

“Oh. Wait, wait, wait... I was supposed to shout "Catch!" there, wasn’t I?”

[sblock=Actions]
Move: Stand up.
Standard: Attack dwarf with throwing shield. Hit it for 10 damage (marking).
Minor: Kick the torch to M12 if possible. if not, have a miserable Active Perception check.

Too bad Woe can’t exploit Concerted Effort more. With the current setup it’s not worth spending an Action Point. :(

When they save vs fire, a creature of my choice within 5 squares heals for 2 hp, or 7 hp if they die with the condition (unlikely)
Just a reminder that these have all triggered, with Woe and Hacker being the only allies damaged at the time.

I think that what Dunamin was getting at was whether or not we could flavor "knocking unconscious" as disarming or sundering, so that they're out of the fight despite having a healer.

On the other hand, we could just say they've been knocked out so thoroughly that the elf can't rescusitate them mid-battle, or something to that effect.
Exactly. I seem to recall the PH or DMG stating that you can flavour your “kill” as knocking out, disarming, or something else that puts them out of commission for the encounter.

Woe Chinua - Human Fighter 3
Passive Perception 12, Passive Insight 12
AC 20, Fort 19, Reflex 17, Will 14
HP 35/46, Bloodied 23, Surge Value 11, Surges 11/11
Speed 5, Initiative +3
Action Points: 1, Second Wind
Powers: Cleave, Knockdown Assault, Tide of Iron; Pass Forward; Spear of Myrdroon's Shard, Heavy Throwing Shield;
Passing Attack, Rain of Blows;
Comeback Strike, Inspiring Word; Spear of Myrdroon's Shard, Heavy Throwing Shield
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: Sorry guys, I'm leaving town for the weekend in half an hour or so, and I'm not gonna find time to get an update in. Sunday or Monday...

covaithe

Explorer
Round 1, continued

Hacker pulls himself to his feet and expresses his contempt for the armored human in typical style. He weaves a pair of powerful spells with his music, bolstering his allies and sending the human staggering ineptly into the point of Woe's spear, drawing a bloody wound.

Round 2

Mikara takes advantage of the human's stumble, filling his back with four well-placed arrows that punch easily through the armor. Though strong, the human warrior sways and crashes to the ground, bleeding freely.

Atreus finishes his circuit of the building, emerging behind the elf. His power pulses, reeling her into the shadows. He raises his brutal axe, smiling in anticipation.

Tristan unleashes a flurry of blows at the hobgoblin. Most of his attacks only send wood flying from the deck supports of the house, but two of them land, opening bleeding rents in the hob's thick hide. But Tristan does not emerge from the exchange unscathed; the hobgoblin's sharp tusks find purchase, tearing away a flap of his skin.

Kathalia pounces on the dwarf, snarling and snapping, but due to a last-second glance back at the dangerous human, Kathalia just misses. Undeterred, she spring away, landing with staggering force on the elf's back and dazing her.

Woe stands and nonchalantly hurls his shield at the dwarf. His aim is true, and the dwarf glares malevolently at the warrior, spitting teeth.

The elf, staggering, whirls and manages to stab Kathalia with her spear. She looks despairingly toward the fallen human, but cannot come to his aid.

The dwarf mutters another spell, and grins a bloody grin at Woe as it takes effect. At first nothing happens, but then a horrible stench billows out from behind Hacker and Woe, choking their lungs and making their eyes water so badly that they cannot see for crucial seconds.

The gnome rises from his hiding spot, firing two quick shots at Hacker. The first misses, but the second arrow takes him right below the rib cage, sending him to the ground, unmoving.

[sblock=ooc]Questions and meta stuff:

First, sorry for the delays. I should be back to a roughly normal (full) schedule now.

Second, healing from Fires of Life saves: Yes, I'd forgotten that, thanks for the reminder. Alas, nobody within 5 squares of the bad guys was injured at the time they saved.

Third, regarding flavor for knocking them unconscious: Who says they're going to stay unconscious? I've got a healer in play. You guys wouldn't want me to disarm you when you got dropped mid-fight, I imagine. :)

Now for the round itself:

Hacker stands, designates the human as his prey, uses Concerted Effort followed by Blunder, which hits for 13 and grants Woe a BMA, which hits for 7 damage and marks the human. (Note that concerted effort and Blunder both give power bonuses, which don't stack. Doesn't matter this time, though.)

Mikara fills the human full of arrows, hitting 4 times for 58 damage. (Note that your 2d0 came out as 2, not 0.) The human drops, dying (but not dead since there's a healer in play). Mikara's move doesn't provoke (the goblin is 20' up and has a ranged weapon, among other reasons) and she is hidden from all but the hobgoblin.

Atreus moves to L2. This move is a bit problematic, stealth-wise, since he doesn't end the move with improved cover or total concealment from the elf, but again it doesn't matter, executioner's noose still hits, and your stealth is blown from the attack anyway. The elf is pulled and slowed, and has 2 shrouds now. Atreus, in your char sheet can you include which defense the power targets? And don't let me forget that you need a second approval still.

Tristan oaths the hob, and (eventually) manages to hit him twice for 26 damage. As an immediate reaction when hit, the hobgoblin bites Tristan: 19 vs. AC hits for 8 damage. The hob is bloodied.

Kathalia hits the elf with predator's flurry, but misses the dwarf due to the human's mark. 10 damage to the elf, and it is dazed (tent Kathalia). Screaming hide armor gives the dwarf -2 to hit (tent Kathalia).

Woe stands and hits the dwarf with his throwing shield for 10 damage, marking it. No kicking the torch, since I'd just said that took a move action for weapons. Not sure what Woe is doing with an active perception check, since his passive beat the gnome's stealth.

The elf stabs at Kathalia with her spear: 26 vs. AC hits for 8 damage.

The dwarf recharges Brimstone Hail, and uses Vile Fumes, burst 2 centered on N16, catching Woe and Hacker. 23 and 26 vs. Fort, respectively, hit both for 16 damage, and they are blinded (tent dwarf). He moves closer to Kathalia.

The human lies there and does nothing. His mark expires.

The hobgoblin uses Relentless Endurance and regains 5 hp. No longer bloodied. He fails to recharge Shadow Strike. He attacks Tristan with a basic attack; 30 vs. AC hits for 6 damage.

Gnome appears in I8 and shoots Hacker twice, 15 vs. AC misses but 26 vs. AC hits for 13 damage. Hacker drops, dying. Gnome moves and attempts stealth: 16 hides it from Woe and Hacker, but everyone else knows:

[sblock=hiding]he's in I8 still[/sblock]

Everyone is up.

[/sblock]

[sblock=status and initiative]

• Mikara 17/34 hp, 7/7 surges, bloodied <== You're up
  • Atreus 39/39 hp, 9/9 surges
  • Kathalia 19/36 hp, 9/9 surges, wild shaped
  • Tristan 20/34 hp, 9/9 surges
  • Woe 19/46 hp, 11/11 surges, blinded (tent dwarf), , bloodied
  • Human 108 damage, dying, Mikara's quarry
  • Dwarf 23 damage, -2 to hit (tent Kathalia), marked by Woe
  • Elf 21 damage, 2 shrouds, slowed (tent Atreus), dazed (tent Kathalia)
  • Hobgoblin, 31 damage, tristan's oath
  • Gnome, undamaged
  • Hacker -4/36 hp, 9/9 surges, blinded (tent dwarf), dying

Resources Used:
  • Kathalia: Fires of Life, Elven Accuracy, Predator's Flurry, Screaming Armor
  • Atreus: AP, Cloak of Shades,
  • Mikara: AP, Evasive Strike, Elven Accuracy,
  • Hacker: AP, Blunder, designate prey
  • Tristan: AP, Luckblade, 1 daily magic item power, Angelic Alacrity, Elven Accuracy
  • Dwarf: vile fumes
  • Human: Inspire Zeal
  • Hobgoblin: shadow strike

[/sblock]

[sblock=Enemy stats]

Human: HP 106, AC 20, Fort 18, Ref 17, Will 18. BMA +11 vs. AC 1d10+5 damage and target is marked TENT (Human).

Dwarf: HP 63, AC 19, Fort 17, Ref 16, Will 18. BMA +10 vs. AC, 1d10+1 damage.

Elf: HP 45, AC 16, Fort 17, Ref 16, Will 18. BMA +11 vs. AC, 1d8+2 damage

Hobgoblin: HP 50, AC 19, Fort 16, Ref 16, Will 15. BMA +10 vs. AC, 1d6+2 damage

Goblin: HP 63, AC 16, Fort 17, Ref 18, Will 17. BMA +9 vs. AC, 1d4+2 damage

[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
streets03.png

Squares within 5 of Woe's torch are brightly lit. Everywhere else is dimly lit, and is treated as lightly obscured unless you have low light vision. Lightly obscured means all enemies have concealment, if there's 5 or more lightly obscured squares between you and the enemy, they have total concealment (though you'll still know where they are unless they make a stealth check).
[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases