Adventure: Love Bites

KenHood

First Post
//Huzzah!//

"Nice save, pardner!" Hacker tells Woe, "Let me catch my breath, and I'll jump back into the brawl."

[Minor: Majestic Word on Woe -- gain surge +4 HP, slide one square.
Move: Stand Up.
Standard: Second Wind -- +2 to defenses, +9 HP, currently at 24 HP]

Dunamin

First Post
[sblock=Majestic Word]Woe slides to L8.

Incidentally, it seems that would place him in front of an open door or window. What's inside?

Woe Chinua - Human Fighter 3
Passive Perception 12, Passive Insight 12
AC 22, Fort 21, Reflex 19, Will 16
HP 45/46, Bloodied 23, Surge Value 11, Surges 9/11
Speed 5, Initiative +3
Action Points: 1, Second Wind
Powers: Cleave, Knockdown Assault, Tide of Iron; Pass Forward; Spear of Myrdroon's Shard, Heavy Throwing Shield;
Passing Attack, Rain of Blows;
Comeback Strike, Inspiring Word; Spear of Myrdroon's Shard, Heavy Throwing Shield
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: I had to abandon a half-finished update in a browser window at work, when I was rudely interrupted by.... well, work. Tomorrow.

covaithe

Explorer
Round 3

Mikara sights around the corner of the house and, with a muttered apology, sinks two arrows into her fellow elf.

Atreus swings wildly; his axe bites a chunk off the corner of the house, but the elf is unharmed, though obviously frightened of the huge blade.

Kathalia takes the opportunity to leap onto the elf's back, mauling her with teeth and claws. She collapses in a bleeding heap, senseless.

Tristan takes exception to his newly acquired bite marks, and nearly severs the hobgoblin's head from its body with a huge blow. It crumples. Tristan turns and ducks between the buildings, pointing his sword at the dwarf with unmistakeable intent.

Woe's flailing and cursing interferes with the flight of one of the short arrows, diverting it just enough that Hacker only falls over from dodging it, rather than catching it in the chest. Woe tries to clear his eyes, stumbling blindly in the direction of the dwarf.

Hacker stands up, anger fuelling him to new vigor, and a word of thanks for Woe on his lips.

The dwarf mutters a spell, hands twisting around painful-looking gestures, and a wave of crippling despair surges towards Woe and Tristan. Both shrug it off; as experienced warriors they are too confident to succumb to despair now. The dwarf curses, quickly reaches into a sleeve and flings a handful of tiny darts at Woe, but Woe's armor repels the darts without effect. Seeing the way things are going, he drops his weapons and raises his hands, moving closer to the light so that his empty hands are visible. "Ransom," he calls in a gravelly voice. "You win. Let us live, and we will pay ransom."

There is a scuffle of feet on the rooftop as the gnome, hearing this, makes a run for it. It tries to leap the gap to the next rooftop, but the uncertain footing betrays it, and it falls well short. There is an unhealthy-sounding popping noise as it hits the ground, and when it gets up and scrambles behind the building, it limps badly, hissing in pain with each step.

[sblock=ooc]Mikara shifts and hits the elf for 19 damage. It's her quarry.

Atreus misses.

Kathalia's pounce hits the elf and drops her. Since my healer's down, the human will now expire on his own and can't get back into the fight (though you may still save him, and the elf, if you choose).

Tristan's crit drops the hobgoblin. I'd made a mistake with his healing last round; the 5 healing should have taken him from 26 damage to 21 damage, not 31. But 29 on the crit still brings him to exactly 0 HP, so it's all good. Dwarf is oathed. I put Tristan into L9 instead of L8; the latter takes 8 squares by my count. Besides, Woe wants to slide there.

Woe heals Hacker 15, uses second wind to heal himself 11, and moves. His "stealth" fails by a lot, given that he's blind and moved more than 2 squares. The "open door" is in fact closed, it being well after midnight. That's what I get for using canned images for mapping objects. Woe is no longer bloodied.

Hacker stands, heals Woe, and second winds.

The dwarf uses Wave of Despair, close blast 5 that catches Woe and Tristan; misses both. He uses infernal quills (minor) on Woe: miss. Seeing the way the dice are going, he surrenders.

The gnome (which I just realized is marked "goblin" on the map) fails to leap between rooftops. It falls, taking 9 damage. (Oh, sure. That I roll high for...) It moves and tries stealth: natural 1. Yep, that's about how this round has gone.

[/sblock]

[sblock=status and initiative]

• Mikara 17/34 hp, 7/7 surges, bloodied <== You're up
  • Atreus 39/39 hp, 9/9 surges
  • Kathalia 19/36 hp, 9/9 surges, wild shaped
  • Tristan 20/34 hp, 9/9 surges
  • Woe 45/46 hp, 9/11 surges, blinded (tent dwarf), +2 def tsnt
  • Human dying
  • Dwarf 23 damage, marked by Woe, Tristan's oath
  • Elf dying
  • Hobgoblin, dying
  • Gnome, 9 damage
  • Hacker 24/36 hp, 7/9 surges, blinded (tent dwarf), +2 def tsnt

Resources Used:
  • Kathalia: Fires of Life, Elven Accuracy, Predator's Flurry, Screaming Armor
  • Atreus: AP, Cloak of Shades,
  • Mikara: AP, Evasive Strike, Elven Accuracy,
  • Hacker: AP, Blunder, designate prey
  • Tristan: AP, Luckblade, 1 daily magic item power, Angelic Alacrity, Elven Accuracy
  • Dwarf: vile fumes
  • Human: Inspire Zeal
  • Hobgoblin: shadow strike

[/sblock]

[sblock=Enemy stats]

Human: HP 106, AC 20, Fort 18, Ref 17, Will 18. BMA +11 vs. AC 1d10+5 damage and target is marked TENT (Human).

Dwarf: HP 63, AC 19, Fort 17, Ref 16, Will 18. BMA +10 vs. AC, 1d10+1 damage.

Elf: HP 45, AC 16, Fort 17, Ref 16, Will 18. BMA +11 vs. AC, 1d8+2 damage

Hobgoblin: HP 50, AC 19, Fort 16, Ref 16, Will 15. BMA +10 vs. AC, 1d6+2 damage

Goblin: HP 63, AC 16, Fort 17, Ref 18, Will 17. BMA +9 vs. AC, 1d4+2 damage

[/sblock]

[sblock=map]
streets04.png

Squares within 5 of Woe's torch are brightly lit. Everywhere else is dimly lit, and is treated as lightly obscured unless you have low light vision. Lightly obscured means all enemies have concealment, if there's 5 or more lightly obscured squares between you and the enemy, they have total concealment (though you'll still know where they are unless they make a stealth check).
[/sblock]

Dunamin

First Post
The dwarf mutters a spell, hands twisting around painful-looking gestures, and a wave of crippling despair surges towards Woe and Tristan. Both shrug it off; as experienced warriors they are too confident to succumb to despair now. The dwarf curses, quickly reaches into a sleeve and flings a handful of tiny darts at Woe, but Woe's armor repels the darts without effect. Seeing the way things are going, he drops his weapons and raises his hands, moving closer to the light so that his empty hands are visible. "Ransom," he calls in a gravelly voice. "You win. Let us live, and we will pay ransom."

Woe casually strolls up to the spell-slinging dwarf, leans on his head, and tsk-tsks condescendingly.

“Reasonable move, duergar, smartest one you’ve made since last you showered. We’ll work out some fair compensation for all the modest distraction your cantrips have entertained us with, then we’ll move on to payment for the second-rank fisticuffs of your peers. So let’s make a tally of the "distress" you’ve attempted:”

The fighter casts a glance at the downed halberdier.

“Halfassed introduction. Check.”

He puts out some embers still smouldering on his shield.

“Unsupervised arson. Check.”

He waves a hand in front of his nose.

“Olfactory offence. Check.”

He plucks out one of the darts that got lodged between his armor scales.

“Sub-tailor quality needlework. Check.”

Finally, he gives the dwarf the stink eye.

“Starting what you can’t finish... Check.”

Woe makes a couple of calculations in his head, shrugs, and puts out his hand.

“Tell ya’ what. Just leave your little purse with me and I’ll resolve all the financial modifications, while you hop over and try to save the girl and your boyfriend from bleeding to death.”

[sblock=Needless to say]If the dwarf tries anything funny, there’s readied Rain of Blows and other funnies coming his way. Woe'll make sure to loot people thoroughly in the meantime.[/sblock]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
The dwarf, with an effort of will that can't have been easy, manages not to roll his eyes. "Well, of course I don't have the ransom money with me. What would be the point of that? You'd just kill me and take it. It's with the bondsman, of course. We work with Jespa Finch in the docks; you know her? Five hundred each, that's standard rate. As I'm sure you know."

[sblock=streetwise DC 5]Bondsmen are people who, for an up front payment and a regular fee, will pay ransom money for adventurers delivered to their custody alive. The fees vary, but usually it's something like 250g up front and 20g a month thereafter. For that rate, if an adventurer finds himself in a situation where death seems otherwise unavoidable, he can surrender. Then, if his captors turn him over alive, the bondsman will pay a ransom on his behalf. The ransom is almost always 500 gold, the same as the cost of a resurrection.

[sblock=DC 10]Jespa Finch is a bondsman -- bondswoman, if you prefer, as she is amply female -- working in the docks area of Daunton. She has a fairly good reputation: she checks to make sure her clients aren't dead before forking over the cash, and if there are any rumors of her denying payments to legitimate clients, she's quashed them thoroughly enough that you haven't heard them. Also, like many of the better bondsmen, she is... enthusiastic... about discouraging non-clients from using her name in an attempt to delay their fate.[/sblock]
[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
Hacker splutters. "***** that *****! Someone catch that gawds-***** gnome piece of *****! And why--Oh, why?!--are we ***** negotiating?! *****, they're probably carrying some ***** magical loot that's worth more than 500 gold. Let's just kill the whole lot of them and sell the bodies to some crazed necromancer to make up the difference in cash! I mean, *****, if we're going to ***** take the ransom, we might as well kill Woe ourselves and turn him in for the bounty, because we'll have enough ***** money to resurrect him!"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases