Adventure: Love Bites

KenHood

First Post
Hacker's banjo transform into an acoustic guitar, which he strums. "Y'all can join in if y'all know the chorus."

He begins singing his World Famous Song, 'I Once Killed a Man for Snoring Too Loud', an exemplar of the murder ballad (a genre, incidentally, created by Hacker)...

I once killed a man for snoring too loud.
And that was an act of which I am proud.
His raucuous snozzling stirred me from my bed,
So I took a hammer and stove in his head.

Snooooooreeeee,
Snoooooorooooe,
Snore-a-diddly-I-dee-ay
If you snore too loud,
It's you I must slay.

This continues for another twenty verses which catalogue in detail the murder act, body disposal, and consequent good night's sleep, along with a bridge that involves yodeling.

covaithe

Explorer
"Do you know what time it is?"

"Oi! Take yer drunken backside somewhere else, ye tone-deaf git!"

"Is that... Hacker Brass? You still owe me money!"

"I'm calling the guards!"

These and other more colorful comments, as well as a hurled missile or two, waft after the party from half-opened windows as you proceed through the dark city. But no other guards, or bounty hunters, accost you before you reach the docks area.

Jespa's office is a sturdy building built against the side of a long warehouse in the Outer Harbor area. The area is mostly quiet, save for a few of the rowdier taverns. The office is dark and quiet.

Dunamin

First Post
These and other more colorful comments, as well as a hurled missile or two, waft after the party from half-opened windows as you proceed through the dark city. But no other guards, or bounty hunters, accost you before you reach the docks area.

Woe neatly catches a flask that was thrown their way, recognizing it mid-flight as an intact bottle of well-aged Gaolean grog. He takes a deep swig, passes it around, and then tosses it unceremoniously into the nearest kitchen garden.

Jespa's office is a sturdy building built against the side of a long warehouse in the Outer Harbor area. The area is mostly quiet, save for a few of the rowdier taverns. The office is dark and quiet.

“Now, uh, I’m sure Jespa couldn’t possibly still be upset about that whole keeping-her-"occupied"-long-enough-to-lose-business-because-the-client-bled-out-on-the-doorstep thing. I mean, her reputation might’ve suffered a slight dent but it recovered in full... eventually.”

Woe tugs at the rope he’s using as a harness on the dwarf, and prods him with a slightly zapping spear for good measure.

“Just the same, Beard Boy, you go in first. Don’t worry; your watchful shepherd is right behind you and possibly protecting his investment.”

[sblock=Lay of the land]Does Woe's Streetwise check let him recall anything useful about Jespa's office? Say, guards and/or traps?[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Tristan moves along at a bit of a distance, trying to stick to the shadows as much as possible so he might avoid getting grouped in with the racket Hacker is creating. He doesn't make any comment to Hacker though - a good distraction makes avoiding notice that much easier.
[sblock=OOC]Sorry for not posting in so long ... I blame Mass Effect.

Tristan will spend one surge; with Hacker's bonus that gets him to 32/34.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=Woe]Jespa does live in her offices, so unless she's being "entertained", she's likely here. Your memories of the interior are so thoroughly alcohol-soaked that they might as well have been dreams. In fact, it's possible that you're thinking of a different woman entirely. [/sblock]

The dwarf steps forward, showing more embarrassment than fear, and shouts, "Jespa! Ransom! Two of us!" For good measure, he kicks the door twice, nearly falling.

After a few moments, a light comes on in the upper floor of the building, and a window opens. Jespa's hatchet-like face pokes out, eyes lined with fatigue but alert. "Well, well, Woe Chinua. You've got a lot of nerve being out on a night like this. Lotta folks lookin' for a piece of you. Hey, Kranchis, Fettles. I take it the others didn't make it? Sorry about that. Lemme put some clothes on and grab the cash."

The window closes, and a few minutes later, Jespa unlocks the heavy front door and stands in the doorway. She tosses two heavy bags of coin towards Woe's feet. "There you go. Count it if you like, but I ain't never shorted a ransom in the twelve years I been in this game. And I'm guessin' you folks'd rather be movin' on soon."

KenHood

First Post
"Howdy, Jespa. Nice to deal with you again. How's the family?"

Hacker picks up the sacks, closes his eyes, and expertly weighs them, using an ability honed by years, decades, and even centuries of adventuring.

"Hey, could you give us four more small bags? I'd like to split this equally with my party."

Dunamin

First Post
"Well, well, Woe Chinua. You've got a lot of nerve being out on a night like this. Lotta folks lookin' for a piece of you."
“Heh, and I know exactly what piece of me you’re interested in. Oblivious fools like these’ll have to settle for my knee in their face.”

Woe makes a flourishing bow, displaying a rarely practised sense of manners.

“Always a pleasure, Jespa. Be a doll and tell the next band of ambitious life-failures to cut back on this murderer-nonsense, before I’ll start actually earning that rep.”

He gives the dwarf a final hassling zap with his spear, as the groups go their separate ways.

“And you - Francis, or whatever the hell your name is - take my mates’ advice and do some bloody research on your target next time.”

“Here’s a free tip: I got enough friends and favours in the force and the merc community to turn this game around when I’m cleared. Don’t be a persistent pest, and next time we meet it'll be over a pint rather than your teeth.”

[sblock=Moving on]When everyone’s had their cut, Woe’s ready to keep moving. I assume Tristan does want that magic armor from his list, even if he didn’t speak up about it?[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
As soon as Woe moves to release his prisoners, Jespa relaxes fractionally. She even essays a smile, which looks strange on her hard face. "Ha! Maybe another time, Chinua. I think I'll keep myself out of the line of fire for the time being." She reaches back inside the door and comes up with four more sacks, which she tosses to Hacker. "Lots of these around. Most folks just divvy up the coin straight into their purses. Or, turn around and give it right back to me. Lotta people in your line of work think it's a good investment, having someone who'll pay to keep you alive. Especially if you plan to keep hanging out with him." She jerks a thumb towards Woe. "I don't suppose I could interest any of you? You've seen that I pay up, no questions. Could save your life, one day."

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Tristan slides into the light shed by the door and shrugs. "I had a little trouble with the last people who 'paid to save my life'. I think I'll pass. Can't really speak for the rest of them, though." The elf's tone shows he couldn't really care less about Jespa's offer anyway, even without the bad experience. He also seems a little preoccupied adjusting a new cloth tunic embroidered with leaves that seems very familiar ...
[sblock=OOC]Yes, Tristan would like the darkleaf armor. Sorry I didn't speak up about it, I had totally forgotten about it by the time I made my last post, haha.

So, once this ransom thing is done we're continuing on towards the alchemist who knows about the priest who supposedly knows some details about the vampire's chick, right? Oh what a tangled web we weave ...[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases