Pathfinder 1E Fonts used in the Pathfinder RPG?

Melkor

Explorer
Hi folks,

Does anyone know which fonts are used in the Pathfinder RPG materials (namely the Core Rulebook and Bestiary)?

Thanks!

Balnor

First Post
Can't say which fonts are used where, but if you're using Adobe Reader, just choose File->Properties in the menu bar and select the Fonts tab. You'll get a list of the fonts.

Of course, extracting the font itself is quite another thing. Not to mention copyright concerns, which do apply to fonts.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
In case Melkor doesn't have the PDF, I'm seeing these fonts embedded:

BaroqueTextJF
CCTreacherous-Curves
CCTreacherous-Corners
JubileeBold, JubileeLight, JubileeMedium
NexusSerifOT, NexusSerifOTBold, NexusSerifOTItalic
NexusSansOT, NexusSansOTBold, NexusSansOTItalic
OlsenTF-Regular
PrioriSerifOTRegular
TimesItalic

Anguish

First Post
Wow, most of those fonts are really pricy, too.

$.10 says that's deliberate.

Part of the Pathfinder Compatibility agreement includes wording that 3rd party authors can't mimic the PFRPG "dress", which is to say look and design. By using fonts that smaller publishing houses aren't going to be able to afford, it sort of protects that portion of the look & feel. A one-time purchase at Paizo's end that a} looks good and b} keeps us mooks from using the same font is a no-brainer.

czak

First Post

Part of the Pathfinder Compatibility agreement includes wording that 3rd party authors can't mimic the PFRPG "dress", which is to say look and design. By using fonts that smaller publishing houses aren't going to be able to afford, it sort of protects that portion of the look & feel. A one-time purchase at Paizo's end that a} looks good and b} keeps us mooks from using the same font is a no-brainer.

I think the font purchasing process looks more like this:
starkorean - Designing an RPG Look

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong

its_a_conspiracy.jpg

B-)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
There are other reasons to use purchased rather than free fonts, and purchasing them from a reputable company -

1. It means that you actually have the rights to use the font - some (not all, not even most) 'free' fonts are pirated, by purchasing the font you protect yourself from someone pointing out that Castine is not a free typeface. (I actually know this one from the other side - I have met the man who created the Castine font, based off of tombstones from the town of the same name - someone pirated his font, and put it up for use.)

2. There is often more technical information, regarding kerning and the like, for professionally produced typefaces.

3. Once purchased you can keep using it again and again - while pricey it is a one time cost, so if you are likely to be using Schoensperger a great deal it may be worth springing the $45. (Me, I make do with Hans Fraktur, by the same creator - I am a big fan of Manfred Klein. :p And I know that Fraktur is free to use.)

The Auld Grump, over 5000 fonts in my collection.... But you never know when Avignon will come in handy....

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
There are also a lot of "knock off" fonts, "original" (in the sense that someone else created them from scratch) fonts that look very similar to the pricier versions, and usually have clever names that play off of the original version name. Many of these are completely freeware because of the similarities to the "name brand", others are shareware. This isn't exactly the same as outright piracy.

If you use *any* font in a professionally published product, you should always make sure you've checked that you have purchased or licensed the font if that is required before you put your product up for sale, whether you are one of the big boys or one of the "mooks".

Glade Riven

Adventurer
Yeah, I've been doing some serious font research for my own projects, and it gets really hard to tell sometimes what's legit or not. Adding to the confusion, is that a Typeface cannot be copyrighted in the US (but it apparently can be trademarked), although the font file can. Court rulings have happened where a copyright was honored, even with the technicallity. It isn't a bad thing (no artist doesn't like getting paid for something that they are trying to earn money off of), but it is a grey enough area that a good lawyer (and big companies can afford good lawyers) can easily smite someone.

Stuff that came with Adobe or Microsoft products that you legitimatly purchased (liscenced, technically) can be used, as Adobe and Microsoft have already payed someone else (or it is public domain - there are legit PD ones) to add it to the particular package that you paid for (Such as Creative Suite, Word, Windows).

BTW, if someone knows some really good font resources that can be used for free in regards to commercial work, I'd love a PM on it. I've a few I can share.

Remove ads