New PDF Software?

So I'm looking at getting some new software to make PDFs with. I've been using an older version of Acrobat for about 8 years now. Its not compatable with my new PC (which is running Vista) so I need to get something new.

I've looked at Acrobat 9 and PRIMOPDF, but I'm skeptical of both.

I'd get the Acrobat 9 if I knew it would work with my system without issues and do what I need it to do. Unfortunately, their sales people are as innept as their customer service.

PRIMOPDF- sounds nice because its free, but I doubt it'll do everything I want and I don't like the adware that some reviewers say is in the latest version.

Anyone have any suggestions?

falcarrion

First Post
what is the problem your having? Is it the software will not work on vista?
Or that the pdfs can't be read?

what are you trying to do?

Just by reading your e-mail I would sugest Acrobat 9. If your last version worked well for you for eight years, then Acrobat 9 may do the same.
I would recomend upgrading to windows 7 first. If it is within your budget.
then using vista. But as always, do the research first. This will save you alot of headaches in the future.

Yeah, the older version of Acrobat won't run on Vista. So I need to get something that will. I don't mind paying for Acrobat 9 if it'll work.

I'm really wondering if there are any other good options out there in the market place.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yep. Open office is real convenient.

It's what I'm using for SPACE FIGHT! It has some limitations, and some things (especially if you're playing with tables and the like) can force you to fight it for a while, but you can usually get an approximation of what you want. Nothing especially fancy, though.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Do any of the free, non-Adobe PDF generators allow you to add bookmarks to a PDF? Bookmarks are essential, especially in longer PDFs.

Do any of the free, non-Adobe PDF generators allow you to add bookmarks to a PDF? Bookmarks are essential, especially in longer PDFs.

That's my next question too.

And what about layout tools? I'd like to be able to wrap text and insert hyperlinks, use background images, and include a hyperlinked table of contents.

I know I can do all that and a lot more with Adobe 9, but what about the other Free and low cost PDF generators?

Remove ads