PRPG Advanced Player's Guide Playtest: Alchemist, Inquisitor, and Tactical Feats

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

Interesting. I kind of like the alchemist. Tossing alchemical bombs is pretty cool.

I like the idea of the inquisitor. Not sure he'll be cool to play. He might. He has some tough abilities.

But they do need to start designing some classes that can fill the roles in a party such as healer and trap finder. I'd like some alternate rogue classes. And for the love of the RPG gods, I hope Pathfinder designs a decent ninja that incorporates hand to hand fighting.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
We will be doing a ninja in a year or two when we get to an "Asian"-themed book. Lots of ground to cover there.

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing

fuindordm

Adventurer
The alchemist looks like tons of fun. Only one thing is missing--the Brew Potion feat. I guess it's a conscious design decision not to add it automatically to the class, since they definitely have an egocentric feel.

The inquisitor... I'm not quite sure what to make of it. The judgments are an interesting (I do like the fact that they take three rounds to reach their full effect), but the benefits are really generic. The class is built around a super-versatile self-buffing power, not unlike the barbarian's rage.

I think what's bugging me about this class is that its abilities don't support the theme. They add up to a PC whose function is to kick ass--anyone's ass--and take names, not search out specific enemies and punish them.

If these people are divinely empowered to protect the church by any means necessary, even if they have to bend or break the god's rules, then they could use class abilities related to seeing through disguises, lie detection, forcing captives to speak the truth, and so on.

In other worlds, an Inquisitor sounds like it should be the ideal class to drive the plot, dragging the party down the right path through a labyrinth of intrigue and at the end saying "These are the guys behind Father Abercromby's murder!" Then the rest of party will fight as usual, but the inquisitor will become a champion.

But as always, good and interesting ideas. I'm really excited about the quality of these previews, and the effort you people are putting into making each new class an interesting and unique play experience. I'll definitely be buying the advanced player's guide when it comes out!

Ben

saraminss

First Post
I really like the alchemist ... but have a minor suggestion... I would let them use Craft alchemy to identify potions, and remove Identify, Spell Resistance and Analyze Dweomer from the spell list, because these are all relating to arcane items and spells... i would remove them to keep the separation.

TheNovaLord

First Post
Like the inquisitor, alot

dislike the alchemist and greatly dislike the tactical feats. They are both very 4th ed feel to them, and its not what i wanna play

fuindordm

Adventurer
This alchemist probably isn't what you have in mind, then. They've got quite a lot of magic at their disposal. Three key abilities: spells administered through potions that affect (mostly) only themselves, a "mutagen" that boosts their combat prowess, and the ability to rapidly mix and throw explosives. There's some good synergy with standard alchemy and potion use, too.

Ben

HyrumOWC

First Post
And for the love of the RPG gods, I hope Pathfinder designs a decent ninja that incorporates hand to hand fighting.

Hey Celtavian,

Last week we released the Shadow Assassin, which sound like it could be just what you're looking for:

http://paizo.com/store/downloads/otherWorldCreations/v5748btpy8bns

It was designed by Owen K.C. Stephens who has a ton of awesome books to his name: contributions to 3rd and 4th editions of D&D, d20 Modern, the Black Company, EverQuest, Song of Ice and Fire, and Wheel of Time role-playing games, as well as the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign setting. He's also author of the Advanced Gamemaster’s Guide from Green Ronin, the Guide to Absalom released by Paizo Publishing, and was co-author of Star Wars Saga Edition from Wizards of the Coast.

Hyrum.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases