WOTBS - The Inquisitor (spoilers)

Daern

Explorer
Let's work on Inquisitor Boreas, the final big bad guy in the "Scouring of Gate Pass". I've been told it would be good to bump this guy up to elite to make for a tough final fight, so I thought I'd get some help. My party is 3rd level.

Basically this guy is a bear-skull wearing Inquisitor charged with capturing magic users and torturing. As the rules stand he's a Lvl 7 Controller, with a dispel magic power, an avenger oath type power, and a summon skeleton minions power. He arrives at the field of battle with a goblin skirmisher and a goblin sniper.

I'm thinking of making the Inquisitor Elite at least, with the beefed up defenses. He needs a fear power, maybe a crazy claw attack. I'm thinking of using gnolls as a template.

I'll post stats when I make some. Any ideas?

Daern

Explorer
I thought I'd keep the stuff I mentioned above. In the module, he has a power that teleports his allies that seems silly given the issues with teleportation (speaking of which, the Seeker in my game made use of a teleport power last session and felt the burn).
I want to scare the crap out of my players. I'm thinking level 9. He will be assisted by:
Krenshar Bloodslayer (brute 5)
orog scarred champion (brute 5) mounted on a Clawfoot (skirmisher 3)
orc bolt thrower (artillery 3)
8 skeletons (minions 2).
I think that's 1750xp just at the upper end of things.
I'll post some stats in a bit.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I thought I'd keep the stuff I mentioned above. In the module, he has a power that teleports his allies that seems silly given the issues with teleportation

Well, bear in mind that the Inquisitors have been around for a while, and the teleportation issue is new (and -- SPOILER -- temporary).

sfedi

First Post
In the interest of moving forward with this, I post the base/original inquisitor, so we can use it as a starting point or an inspiration.

This is Inquisitor Boreus as it appears in revision one of the adventure (4E01R1 Scouring.zip)

Inquisitor Boreus Level 7 Controller
Medium natural humanoid XP 300

Initiative +4 Senses Perception +6; darkvision
HP 77; Bloodied 38
AC 21; Fortitude 20; Reflex 21; Will 22
Speed 6

:bmelee: Inquisitor's Claw (standard; at-will) • Weapon
+12 vs AC; 1d6 + 1 damage (critical 1d6+7)

:melee: Vengeance Barrier (standard; encounter) • Divine, Teleportation, Weapon
+12 vs AC; 1d6 + 1 damage, and the Inquisitor teleports each enemy within 2 squares of the target up to 2 squares.

:melee: Leska's Vengeance (standard; at-will) • Divine, Implement, Radiant
Range 10; +12 vs Reflex; 1d8 + 4 radiant damage (crit 12+1d6 radiant), and the Inquisitor gains 3 temporary hp.

:melee: Leska’s Exhortation (standard; encounter) • Implement
Ranged 10; +12 vs Will; 2d6 + 6 psychic damage (crit 18+1d6 radiant), and target is immobilized (save ends).

:melee: Rebuke Lesser Arcane Magic (standard; recharge 6)
Ranged 10, targets a conjuration or zone made by an arcane power; +11 vs. Will of originating caster; the conjuration or zone is destroyed, including any of its ongoing effects, even those normally lasting until a target saves.

:close: Oath-Mark (minor; recharge special)
Close Burst 10; targets one enemy the Inquisitor can see. If the target is the only enemy adjacent to the Inquisitor, the Inquisitor makes two attack rolls and takes either result. h e ef ect lasts until the target drops to 0 hp or the encounter ends. The power then recharges automatically.

:area: Summon Skeletons (standard; encounter) • Conjuration, Divine
Area Blast 2 within 5; The Inquisitor summons 3 Decrepit Orc Skeletons within the blast. The skeletons have an initiative equal to the Inquisitor, and are dazed on the round they were summoned.

Dogged Pursuit
If the Inquisitor’s oath-marked target moves away willingly from the Inquisitor, the Inquisitor gains +3 to damage rolls against that target until the end of the Inquisitor’s next turn.

Alignment Evil Languages Common, Giant
Skills Arcana +10, Intimidate +7, Religion +10
Str 12 (+4) Dex 12 (+4) Wis 16 (+6)
Con 13 (+4) Int 15 (+5) Cha 9 (+2)
Equipment Inquisitor's Claw

sfedi

First Post
Here's an Elite version of Boreus I came up with.

Note that I've added a leader power to him.

Inquisitor Boreus Level 7 Elite Controller (Leader)
Medium natural humanoid XP 600

Initiative +4 Senses Perception +11; darkvision
HP 154; Bloodied 77
AC 21; Fortitude 18; Reflex 19; Will 20
Saving Throws +2
Speed 6
Action Points 1

:bmelee: Inquisitor's Claw (standard; at-will) • Weapon
+12 vs AC; 1d6 + 6 damage (critical 1d6 + 12)

:melee: Inquisitor's Fury (standard; at-will) • Divine, Weapon
+12 vs AC; 1d6 + 6 damage (critical 1d6 + 12) and if the target is under the Oath-Mark Boreus can push 2 another enemy adjacent to him

:melee: Double Attack
Boreus makes two attacks. Either an Inquisitor's Claw or an Inquisitor's Fury attack.

:close: Banish the Infidels (standard; encounter) • Divine, Radiant, Weapon
Close burst 3; targets enemies; +11 vs Will; 3d6 + 4 radiant damage, and the Inquisitor teleports each enemy within 2 squares of the target up to 2 squares.

Righteous Stride (move; encounter) • Divine
Boreus shifts 5 squares and gains +2 to AC and Reflex until the one of his next turn

:close: Get It Off Me! (free 1/round; at-will)
Close Burst 5; Choose an ally in range. Before the end of his next turn, the next melee attack the ally makes against an enemy adjacent to Boreus gains +2 to hit and pushes 1 (or increase it's push by 1 if the attack already pushed)

:ranged: Leska's Vengeance (standard; at-will) • Divine, Implement, Radiant
Range 10; +12 vs Reflex; 1d8 + 4 radiant damage (crit 12+1d6 radiant), and the Inquisitor gains 3 temporary hp.

:ranged: Rebuke Lesser Arcane Magic (standard; recharge 6)
Ranged 10, targets a conjuration or zone made by an arcane power; +11 vs. Will of originating caster; the conjuration or zone is destroyed, including any of its ongoing effects, even those normally lasting until a target saves.

:close: Oath-Mark (minor; recharge special)
Close Burst 10; targets one enemy the Inquisitor can see. If the target is the only enemy adjacent to the Inquisitor, the Inquisitor makes two attack rolls and takes either result. The effect lasts until the target drops to 0 hp or the encounter ends. The power then recharges automatically.

:close: Summon Skeletons (standard; encounter) • Conjuration, Divine
Close Blast 2; The Inquisitor summons 3 Decrepit Orc Skeletons within the blast. The skeletons have an initiative equal to the Inquisitor, and are dazed on the round they were summoned.

Dogged Pursuit
If the Inquisitor’s oath-marked target moves away willingly from the Inquisitor, the Inquisitor gains +3 to damage rolls against that target until the end of the Inquisitor’s next turn.

Alignment Evil Languages Common, Giant
Skills Arcana +10, Intimidate +9, Religion +10
Str 12 (+4) Dex 12 (+4) Wis 16 (+6)
Con 13 (+4) Int 15 (+5) Cha 12 (+4)
Equipment Inquisitor's Claw

Last edited:

Daern

Explorer
I'm sorry I started that thread and didn't follow up. I can't figure out how to export from the Monster Builder to the web... not e-literate enough

I like your version, but it is a bit more complicated than I'd like. I made a 9th level elite that has only four different attacks. I may steal some of yours though!

The main thing I did was draw out how I'm gonna set up the encounter, with skeletal minions, orc shock troops etc.

sfedi

First Post
Yes, I agree with you that it's quite complicated to use/understand.

Inquisitor's Fury and Get it Off Me!, with double attack are the core of the build I show you above.

Another power I forgot to add to the above build was:

Reactive Counterspell (immediate interrupt, 2/encounter)
When hit by an arcane power, attacker must reroll it's attack and use the new result.

This, I think, is important to convey the "anti mage" nature of the Inquisitor's.

See, 4e muddies the magic/not-magic boundary that was there in 3e. When a swordmage, paladin, avenger, or barbarian swings his sword at you, or a druid in beast form claws you, it doesn't feel right to me for an inquisitor to negate that. But a wizard's magic missile, a cleric's god laser, or a shaman's whirlwind? Those would counterable.

I'd make it so it can counter Implement powers, but not weapon powers. That still screws with a druid in beastform, and I don't recall off-hand what it does to swordmages, but in general I think it's a good baseline.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases