Conversion: WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I've had the itch to run through this once again in a new edition. I've just gotten started and hope to share ideas.

The original module calls for random encounter checks whenever the PCs approach or leave the ruins. The area is rife with bandit activity. I've decided instead to turn this into a Skill Challenge.

SKILL CHALLENGE #1
Avoiding harrassment by bandits
Level 4, Complexity 2 (350 XP) [Award XP whether challenge is completed successfully or not - do not award XP for encounters caused by failure.]

If the party tries to avoid the bandits in the area, each player should make a single check each time the party approaches or leaves the ruins. Award a single success or failure based on whether the checks are a majority success or failure. The Aid Another action is not allowed on these checks. If the party makes no attempt to avoid the bandits failure is automatic.

Common skill use examples:
Athletics DC 18 - Traversing more difficult terrain that isn't commonly travelled.
Bluff DC 13 - Seeming to be unworthy of attention or much more powerful.
Diplomacy DC 23 - Attempting to negotiate with the bandits at minimal cost.
Endurance DC 18 - Moving at a hastened pace to offer less window of opportunity for the bandits.
Insight DC 23 - Recognizing dangerous groups within the area.
Intimidate DC 13 - Seeming tougher and meaner to dissaude bandits from attacking.
Nature DC 13 - Recognizing areas that would provide the bandits with opportunities to ambush travelers.
Perception DC 18 - Spotting trouble before it occurs.
Stealth DC 13 - Moving unseen and unheard through the region.

Results:
6 successes: The group has built a reputation, found a safe path, or whatever else seems appropriate to their methods to not have to worry about attacks from bandits any more.

4-5 successes: The group has learned enough about the bandit activity to no longer be surprised by their attacks.

1-3 successes: No effect.

1st failure: Attacked by bandit group consisting of 4 human bandits and a human berserker.

2nd failure: Attacked by bandit group consisting of 4 human guards and a human mage.

3rd failure: Attacked by bandit group consisting of 10 orc drudges and 2 gnoll huntmasters. After a 3rd failure the party has earned a reputation in blood and will no longer be at risk of bandit attacks.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Nice one!

I like that you aren't giving any more xp for the fight than they would get for succeeding at the skill challenge. That's a good mechanical way to avoid rewarding failure. I think I'll adopt this for "failure = combat" skill challenges.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Nice one!

I like that you aren't giving any more xp for the fight than they would get for succeeding at the skill challenge. That's a good mechanical way to avoid rewarding failure. I think I'll adopt this for "failure = combat" skill challenges.

Thank you. Yes, I found it odd in earlier skill challenges that the players were rewarded more for failure than success. The only benefit for their risk in this skill challenge is the minor equipment carried by the bandits.

sfedi

First Post
It's a constant on these games to reward failure, even when they are clearly designed to reward succeses.

All the "random encounter" mechanic is full of that.
You should earn XP for travelling dangerous terrain, whether you have encounters or not.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
SKILL CHALLENGE #2
Crossing the Bridge
Level 1, Complexity 1 (100 XP) [4 successes before 3 failures]

A narrow natural bridge connects the plateau the three towers are built upon to the surrounding countryside. Its unbound sides cause vertigo and a sense of forboding. Crossing the 300' bridge will be a difficult task at best.

Mandatory Skill:
Balance DC 10 - Each round spent crossing the bridge requires the character to make a balance check. The character may crawl to receive a +5 bonus to this check, but this imposes an automatic failure in addition to any normal success or failure. Characters can automatically Aid Another by providing support for each other by holding hands or tying ropes between characters. Each player receives the +2 bonus from Aid Another, and individual success or failure is based on that of the highest rolling character in a set of linked characters. Using a teleportation effect grants an automatic success in addition to normal success or failure. Flight grants two automatic successes and the character does not make a balance check for each full round of flight.

Calculate each character's successes and failures separately.

Success: Each success brings the character 1/4 of the way across the bridge.

Failure: The characters are taking too long to cross the bridge and attract the attention of three ogre thugs from the ogre lair in the ruins of the Tower of Zagig.

Last edited:

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
SKILL CHALLENGE #3
The Great Risk - Dwarven Stones Game
Level 1, Complexity 1 (XP 100)

The dwarves that have set up base around the entrance to the Tower of War charge a tax of 1/3 of all gold found in the ruins. The captain of the dwarves is a fan of games of chance and is willing to gamble with the party to increase or decrease this tax.

Each character willing to play puts his own share of treasure up for grabs and determines success or failure on his own.

Example Skill Uses:
Bluff vs. Insight or Insight vs. Bluff - Dwarven Stones, like most gambling games, has an element of bluffing and reading your opponent.
History vs. History - Certain tactics are well-known in the game of Dwarven Stones. Dwarf characters, including the captain, gain a +2 racial bonus on this check.
Perception vs. Thievery or Thievery vs. Perception - Trying to get a peek at your opponent's play can help you win and keeping your choices hidden from your opponent is equally important.

4 successes, 0 failures - The character wins an amount of gold equal to that put on the line. The captain is infuriated that he has been beaten so handily and will refuse to play this character again.

4 successes, 1-2 failures - The tax on this character's gold is reduced to 1/10th of its value.

3 failures, 2-3 successes - The character breaks even and still just owes the 1/3rd tax.

3 failures, 1 success - The tax on this character's gold is increased to 1/2 of its value.

3 failures, 0 successes - The character loses all of his gold.

sfedi

First Post
Maybe a change to DC 10 and a +5 bonus for crawling?
This would greatly increase their odds.

But that doesn't change the fact that the PCs are still tied to a run of bad rolls and there's nothing they can do about it.

I would recommend you to have options to:
- one PC help another in a more effective way other than Aid Another
- allow the PCs to stall the incoming ogres, through social skills

For example, if PC A is at the same place or one ahead from PC B, PC A can use his turn so that B makes his check with A bonus.

PCs can Intimidate, Bluff or Diplomacy the Ogres so that they take more time to reach them, or even if they reach them, they wait and watch what they are doing or hesistate or whatever.

I suggest that for every 2 (see below) successes they get on a DC 18 check, the Ogres take one more turn to arrive (i.e. they need one more failure to fail the challenge). They can stall the Ogres a maximum of 4 rounds.

I did something similar here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/war-bu...burning-sky-skill-challenges.html#post5008387

But it's not the same as to what you are doing here.

Although, now that I think of it, maybe this SC would work better if the PCs must cross the bridge in a set number of rounds.

Then, the mechanics would be almost the same as the ones in the link above.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I would recommend you to have options to:
- one PC help another in a more effective way other than Aid Another
- allow the PCs to stall the incoming ogres, through social skills

Maybe if I make it the best Balance roll of linked PCs? I do believe their are many more options than just combatting the ogres if the party draws their attention, but I don't think there is enough of a risk or reward to make it a skill challenge.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases